The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Bubsy

Pistol Ranges near PA/NJ Border

I'm a NYC resident and currently in month 2 of what I've been told is usually a 6 month process to get a pistol permit. (The application has been submitted to the NYPD, they are currently doing a background check and my "interview" should be sometime in late January). Once I get the permit, I've been told that I have 30 days to select and purchase a pistol, which is not that much time to find the right pistol. I'm planning to use the pistol for target practice and I would think that I would need to select one that best fits my hand and that I feel comfortable and confident using. This will be my first gun. I've been told that there are pistol ranges in PA, just over the NJ/PA border that allow people to try out various pistols that they provide at the range. However, in searching on the net, the only ranges I've found are in the Central Area of Pennsylvania. Are there ranges near the PA/NJ border that allow visitors to test out various pistols? I'm looking for one that might be convenient to Route 78, 80, or 22 (ie around East Stroudsberg or the Poccono's / Delaware Water Gap areas).

Thanks,

Bob
Old December 9, 2006, 04:40 PM   #2
shaggy

Bob, try www.classicpistol.com

They're a little south of where you want to be (just north of Philly, a few miles from the NJ border), but only about 90 minutes from NYC. The range is very nice and well maintained, and they have plenty of guns (including full auto) to rent.
Old December 10, 2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Bubsy

Thanks

Thanks,

I checked out Classic Pistol's website. The only concern I have is that they claim to require a class unless I've shot before or come with someone who has. I've never shot a pistol before nor has the person I'd be going with. We both have shot rifles however, on several occasions, at a ranch in Upstate NY. I've also read the Beretta 90Two and Px4 Storm owners manuals so I have a basic understanding of how to use one. I'll give Classic a call to see what the situation is.

Thanks again.

Bob
Old December 10, 2006, 01:56 AM   #4
DEvineWYnd

or try "READY AIM FIRE" www.rafire.com

about 15 minute drive away from classic pistol

Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright...until they speak?
Old December 10, 2006, 04:54 AM   #5
mete

Check Manny's Shooting Supplies in Port Chester NY. I haven't been there for a long time but they did have a range.
Old December 10, 2006, 10:24 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

Lake Wallenpawpack (SP) on US 6 there's a Pennsylvania range just south of the lake.
It's free and no RO's.

AFS
Old December 10, 2006, 02:04 PM   #7
mete

Wallenpaupack !!!But he's looking for a place to try guns not just shoot.
Old December 10, 2006, 08:20 PM   #8
SIGSHR

I have been going to Ready, Aim Fire since last Spring, they are good people, very helpful, have an excellent selection of hand guns rentals, 25 yard
indoor range.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:14 AM   #9
viper5243

Im not positive but i believe Rays Sport Shop lets you test out guns and they have their own indoor range.

(908) 561-4400
559 U S Highway No 22
North Plainfield, NJ 07060
Old December 11, 2006, 11:43 AM   #10
AirForceShooter

Sorry,missed that part.

AFS
Old December 11, 2006, 04:00 PM   #11
SIGSHR

Ray's has no rentals that I know of, but they do have an indoor 25 yard range.
Old December 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #12
Bubsy

Pistol Ranges near NJ/PA border

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it. My friend "B" and I went to "Ready, Aim, Fire" today since they had both of the pistols I am considering purchasing. We first chose the Beretta PX4 Storm. Neither "B"nor I have ever shot a pistol but we've both had extensive experience shooting rifles. I chose to shoot first. When I pulled the trigger on the PX4, it responded with a loud thunderous "BOOM!" that startled "B". Rifles make a loud "POW!" sound. Neither "B" nor I realized that 9mm pistols sound more like bombs! After firing the PX4 Storm for awhile, we tried the Beretta 90-Two. Neither of us liked that gun. We found the grip too short and the gun "front heavy". Also, the barrel got very, very, very hot after a few rounds were fired. I was interested in a Glock and Don at the range suggested we try a 9mm Glocc. But neither "B" nor I were comfortable loading and shooting it. The design of the gun seemed to make it all to easy to accidentally fire off a round when inserting the magazine. My time was well spent. The Beretta PX4 Storm is , without a doubt, the gun I plan to own.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions about where I could try the guns, and a big thank you to Don at "Ready, Aim, Fire".

Bob
Old December 14, 2006, 10:18 AM   #13
AirForceShooter

You didn't try a 1911 or a Hi-Power.

AFS
Old December 17, 2006, 01:20 AM   #14
Bubsy

second thoughts on the PX4 Storm

You're right. I didn't try the 1911 or the high power. But I know that a day after I tried the Beretta's I've been having trouble hearing out of my right ear. I used ear protectors, but I've had hearing loss in that ear for quite some time and it is very sensitive to certain sounds. I think the loud almost cannonlike sound that the 9mm Beretta makes would destroy my hearing over time. I guess I have a few choices. Wear ear plugs and a hearing protector as was suggested in another thread here. Shoot only in an outdoor range where I would think there would be less reverberation. Purchase a gun that has a lower decibel noise level ( the S&W 38 revolver, I believe is around 153 db. vs 160db for the Beretta and that is a substantial difference).

I'm puzzled as to why my hearing was affected so much. Last summer I shot a rifle at an outdoor range w/o hearing protection and it didn't affect my hearing.

Any other forum areas here where I might post an issue regarding my hearing. I'll talk to the ear MD too. I know I'll really enjoy a hobby of target shooting, and I really liked the PX4Storm, but I don't think its worth the risk of going deaf.