The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: how much do you like the remington 870 express magnum
i love it 5 33.33%
its good 5 33.33%
ok 2 13.33%
not so much 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
boobooboo

why do chokes.......

why do full turkey chokes tell you to only use lead shot in the remington 870 express magnum
Old December 7, 2006, 02:20 PM   #2
RwBeV

Turkey chokes are a very "tight" restriction usually .685 or tighter. Steel shot will not compress like lead will so you stand a chance of splitting or bulging the choke or your barrel or both.
Old December 8, 2006, 02:57 PM   #3
boltgun71

I believe that some shot materials that are denser than lead such as steel and Hevi-shot over time will wear on the constriction of the choke itself. This would increase pattern size and decrease choke life. You can buy additional full/extra full/super full turkey chokes that are designed specifically for the denser shot materials. I had to do this myself for my 870 SP to use Hevi-Shot turkey loads when Remington loaded them. I purchased Remingtons Hevi-Shot Super Full choke. The combination was devastating and worth the additional few bucks ($30?) IMO.