The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 16, 1999, 08:19 PM   #26
snoman

A little strange when you think of it, history does repeat itself...we are once again trying to fight our way from the British...

---snoman---
Old May 16, 1999, 08:40 PM   #27
Jim V

I have a question for the group.
What are the two (2) biggest fears the pro and anti firearms groups have? Think about it for a while.

Time's up. The first fear is that we lose the whole "shooting match" because that would put them out of business and they could not request monies to continue the fight against or for the anti-gun laws. The second fear is that we win the fight for the same reasons.

I am convinced that there are pro-firearms ownership groups that hope and pray that the Supremes don't ever decide in the gun owner's favor and state that the 2nd Amendment means that the people have the right to keep and bear arm unhindered by the fedgoons and/or the states. I think that they want to keep the things the way they are to justify their existance.

Just think, what could they do after such a SC decision? They could not send monthly newletters warning of problems and asking for donations. "Hell, Knuckle head, the Superems decided that there are no valid federal/state gun laws and whacked those that proposed 'em pretty good. Why should I send you any money? I'm gonna use the money for ammo."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Old May 16, 1999, 08:58 PM   #28
snoman

Please read (www.gunowners.org/fs9901.htm )
I read it on glocktalk, if it is true, why is the 2nd amendment even an issue???

---snoman---
Old May 17, 1999, 08:02 AM   #29
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Eugene Volokh, Professor of Law at the UCLA School of Law and a supporter of the 2nd Amendment sent this reply to my query to him on this issue:

Volokh, Eugene wrote:
>
> Nope. The First Amendment guarantees everyone the right to lobby
> for all sorts of legislation, even legislation that a court may eventually
> hold unconstitutional (which of course is unfortunately far from certain for
> gun control legislation).
>

This is my reply:

>Mr. Volokh,
>
> Your reply to my query, while disappointing, is appreciated. I thought
> that would be the answer. Is there any way to respond in kind to the
> tactics of these organizations in the courts?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Byron Quick
Old May 17, 1999, 11:17 AM   #30
Brett Bellmore

1. The first amendment does NOT, so far as I know, guarantee a right to file frivolous lawsuits with the express intent of bankrupting the defendant even if he wins the lawsuit. So the people behind the anti-gun lawsuits would appear to be fair game.
2. The first amendment does NOT protect the Clinton admistration's ILLEGAL activities furthering gun control, such as compiling centralized gun records in violation of the 1968 gun control act, or issuing executive orders in violation of the Constitution.
3. Nothing, not our "allies" in Congress, nor the courts and the Second amendment, can protect us indefinately if the public really does turn against us. Whereas if it turns decisively FOR us, we can't really lose. Public relations isn't just A way to win, ultimately it's the ONLY way to win; All else is just stalling tactics.