The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Maui19

Shotgun universal light clamps

I have never longed for a light on my shotty, but I have lately come across a few instances where it might be helpful to be able to have a light on my Mossberg. Since I've got several good, Surefire-style flashlights kicking around, I'm wondering if one of the universal light clamps like this might do the trick for me:

Do these things keep a light in place reasonably well? Are they all the same or are some better than others.

TIA
Old November 28, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Syntax360

No one has any experience with these style mounts? I am also in the process of deciding between cheapie mounts and a surefire setup.
Old November 29, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3
AAshooter

I think there are three alternatives that you can consider for a light. The first is your clamp shown above. The second is to mount a rail on your shot gun to easily snap on and off a light. The third is a light integrated into the forestock.

The challenge is controlling the light. Obviously that is pretty simple with the third option but require some planning for the first two options. My belief is using the clamp could work but if you want to control it easily, it is more than just throwing your 6P in the clamp. I have seen set-up with a different end-cap and remote switch attached to the shotgun in an easily accessed spot.

I have no direct experience with this setup. I run a Surefire forestock with integrated light.

One other consideration is the shock from firing a shotgun is usually significantly higher than a handgun. The standard lights do not always have the additional features to handle the recoil. Once again, no direct experience but that would be a concern.

Light on, trigger press, light fails, both you and the bad guy running around in the dark.
Old November 29, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
shappy0869

I just added this to my 870:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...+SHOTGUN+MOUNT

It is a very solid piece that clamps onto the mag extension. However, I have not had the chance to shoot with it on yet, so I can't vouch for how well it stays on.