The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
JJMAC

Inexpensive Over Under?

Anyone recommend an Inexpensive over under for sporting clays?

I CAN"T spend alot of money. I just got into guns and I have already bought 6 this year. My wife is about to shoot me with all of them!

Thanks!
Old November 27, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
cobra81

Please define inexpensive

There are several decent O/U's available for under $1000.
Spartan, Franchi, and I think Benelli make guns in this range.
Ruger red Label, Browning Citori will be in the $1200-$1600 range, and are great trap guns.
Stoeger makes a Condor O/U that is on the lower end of price, but also the lower end of fit and finish. I bought one at Dick's for $299, and they still are advertising them for that amount. Stoeger also makes the Condor Supreme for about $600, which gives you better wood, and hopefully better fit and finish on the metal parts.
Hope this helps.
Old November 27, 2006, 04:45 PM   #3
RevolverLover

Quote:
Anyone recommend an Inexpensive over under for sporting clays?
How much is inexpensive?

Quote:
Spartan, Franchi, and I think Benelli make guns in this range.
Benelli doesn't make an O/U.
Old November 27, 2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Capt Charlie
Staff

I bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U a few months ago, and while I only have a few hundred rounds through it so far, I can say I'm very pleased with it. I bought it at Wal Mart for five hundred plus pocket change.

Understand, it's no Citori, but it is pleasing to the eye and seems well built. Of the reviews I've read on them, the chief complaint early on was breakage of the firing pins after several thousand rounds, but generally, the reviews were pretty good. I'm not sure if the firing pin issue has been addressed in later models or not. These guns are made in Turkey under contract with Mossberg.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 30, 2006, 08:33 PM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

You might find an EAA Baikal (pre remington spartan) for around $400 bucks. Try gun broker. Or go with the remington spartan for a couple hundred more. Same russian made gun with different furniture and names. They are sturdy and reliable but wont win any beauty contests. Also you might want to consider stoeger.
Old December 3, 2006, 06:15 AM   #6
rhoffler

O/u

I also have The Mossberg silver reserve in 12 gague 28 " use it for skeet have put about 2500 rounds with no problems it still tight was 477.00 plus tax at Wally World good luck.---- skeet are not hard to break just easy to miss
Old December 3, 2006, 09:05 AM   #7
DonR101395

I bought one of the new Marlin L.C. Smith O/U last spring for around $800 delivered on gunbroker. I'm pleased with it so far. I only have about 300-400 rounds through it.
Old December 3, 2006, 10:34 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

How inexpensive is inexpensive?

There's the real low-end guns, like the Baikal/Spartan, the Stoegers, the Yildiz, and the Norincos. (under $450)

There's "mid-low-end", like the Mossberg guns and ?? ($450-$800)

And on up to several choices among the "mid-mid", like the low-end Jap Brownings, L.C. Smith, Rugers, etc., which these tend to be good values. ($800 to $1,110).

And then after that, you'd enter what I would call the mid-high range, where there are many many choices.

Academy does have a smokin price on the Yildiz and the Mossberg, but dunno how good these are, or which one is better for the price.
Old December 3, 2006, 01:36 PM   #9
akr

Lanber 2097
Old December 3, 2006, 01:53 PM   #10
UniversalFrost

If you can find a boito they are a real nice copy of a citori and can be had used in the 300 range.

I would recommend searching the pawn shops for a used ruger or browning. I picked up a like new citori wit case and all the goodies for less than half of what they were selling new at the time, because the pawn shop guy had no clue what he was selling.

I have a stoeger as well, but I have one that actually works with out a problem yet. Many are having issues with the safety activating after the first shot and then having to either fix themselves or send back for a csotly and lengthy repair process.

Franchi makes some real good looking guns and Beretta is importing them. I have been looking at posibly getting one lately. Have not heard nary a problem with them.

Charles Daly makes some in the 1000 range silver reserves NRA editions, but CDNN has a sale on them now for about 599.

The mossbergs are actually Kahn Artemis rebranded like what remington did with baikal. Both are good economical shooters. Don't expect a fit, finish and feel like a citori or peerless.

Verona is a good gun, but range in price from 599 to +2000 depending on the model. From what I have seen and shot they are hit and miss. Shot some that looked and fit well, but just woulnd't shoot for me. Others looked so, so, fit ok and shot like a dream.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 4, 2006, 01:46 AM   #11
David Berkowitz

I think akr was just a little bit understating it, but the Lanber 2097 really does stand looking into.
Very nice balance, swings lively, excellent action, and nice wood with a durable finish.
I recall seeing them in the $750-$800 range. While not inexpensive, they are a great value. should sell for more, I think.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:02 AM   #12
gary c coffey

Frosty referred to the sale currently going on at CDDN. I just purchased a 20 gauge from them built by stefano Fausti of Italy. 26" barrels, single selective trigger, nice walnut stock and forend, and 3" chambers with 5 chokes. At 6 1/2 pounds, this little gun is a wonderful deal. Mine will not be for sale, But I understand they have 60 in stock at $499.00. If you are looking for a 20 - this very well may be the best deal going.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:53 AM   #13
UniversalFrost

Make sure to post some reviews on it when it arrives and you get a chance to shoot it.

What made you select if compared to the Charles DALY NRA Diamonds grade or some of the others in the same price range? Just questions that the new folks might be interested in.

Personally, I almost always try to find an exact same model locally to test for "fit". For example, I saw a peerless on gunbroker once that had a very resonable buy it now price, so I went to the local gunshop and tried a near exact same model out (was a different gauge, otherwise the same gun). The peerless just didn't feel like a quality "fit" to my body and shooting stance, so I didn't get it. On the other hand, the citori I bought felt like it was a natural part of my body when held and I just have to swing the barrels (smooth and effortlessly) which feel balanced perfectly and pull the trigger and a perfect chot every time (think I only misses one pheasant on the first shot, second shot did him in).

Old December 4, 2006, 12:13 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

BTW, UF & others....

watching a hunting show on Outdoor Channel yesterday....ad for Franchi...apparently, if the ad was right, the name is pronounced:

"Frawn' - Key", not Fran-chee or Fran-key or Frawn-chee, or as the bubbas round here say, "Frenchy".
Old December 4, 2006, 01:50 PM   #15
UniversalFrost

the american hunter mag from NRA had a good article in I believe their October edition on the Franchi shotguns. I have always liked the amount of detail they put into their guns and the engravings on some are freakin' amazing for the price. Really, some of their guns that cost under a grand look better than some browning and rugers I have seen for over 5 grand.

I would really like to go out and try one out on the range to see how it compared to my citori. Just for the asthetic appeal they are a buy. Anybody here have any experience with them?

Old December 4, 2006, 02:17 PM   #16
wolverine350

mossberg silver reserve is an excellent choice, great gun
Old December 4, 2006, 05:41 PM   #17
gary c coffey

FROSTY:Will let you know how the little 20 performs when I get it. I probably would have gone with the NRA LTD. If they had one in 20 GA. I have a 12 gauge Silver 1 Made by Emilio Rizzinni. ( not the high dollar brothers) weighs in at slightly over 7 Lbs. at the truck. 25 Lbs. at the top of the mountain. Was looking for something on a 20 gauge frame rather than 20 ga. barrels on a 12 ga. Frame ( read stoeger ). I had even forgotten to mention that the silver 1 & silver II are also dependable no frills shotguns.
Old December 4, 2006, 10:37 PM   #18
JLelli

Has anyone had any experience with CZ shotguns? Their over-unders are relatively inexpensive.
Old December 5, 2006, 09:50 PM   #19
RockyMtnTactical

I like the stoegers.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:18 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

In my post above, I forgot to mention the Charles Dalys....also, Savage now has an O/U called the Milano, which is not in the economy range, but more in the mid-range. Best place for good deals is at CDNN Investments - they have deals on Rizzinis, Chuck Dalys, Lanbers, Veronas, etc.
Old December 6, 2006, 03:00 AM   #21
makmak

czs are great...

check out the red heads. they are finished great, and cz has excellent customer service. stay away from the "silver repair" as that mossberg coldn't hold a candle to a used citori...stoegers are also great. If you are willing to spend around 1100, you can also get an SKB, which have many features found on high end guns, without the beretta price tag.
Old December 13, 2006, 11:13 AM   #22
Daves-got-guns

proud of my mossberg silver reserve. Older models had a problem with walmart-know-it-all gun boys taking the barrels off, dry firing the piece, putting the barrels and locking without cocking them somehow or something bizzarre, and the bottom firing pin would leave a goudge in the bottom barrel, and i got the second gen 05 gun that didnt have that problem. They are made in turkey by khan i believe, and the engraving is pretty good stuff, also wood to metal fit seems superb. Mine was alittle under 500 out the door i believe, and this gun has the smoothest trigger pull ive felt on the 3 o/u's ive felt in this price range. Not positive but some spartan/baikal guns have had quality control issues in the past, so ive heard but ive also heard they are getting better so idk. Overall the balance of the mossberg is very nice, and atfist if i fired over 75 rounds a day too quick, the hinge wouldnt want to bust free, but since ive put alittle under 500 rounds thru it, since i havent been able to shoot lately, it has been fine and no problems with it. The other gun i felt and shot in this price range was the baikal and i didnt like the trigger pull or the lop imo, but this was one gun and the lop is the only thing thats consistant on alot of guns, so try a mossberg for yourself, and if you don't like the feel then forget i said anything cause the feel is the big thing on o/u shotgun shooting, or shotguns in general sometimes.

OH and mak mak, whats your experience, if any with a mossberg? alot of people will diss a gun without shooting them or even being in the same room with one.
Old December 13, 2006, 01:14 PM   #23
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
You don't nessesarily need a trap/skeet specific gun. I have used a century arms centurion for trap and my dad added a pad to his 870 express to rais up his cheek. But then it is nice to have the BT-100 for trap although it is more spendy than what you are looking for (my dad bought his for $1200 used. very nice trap gun) But if you get a fairly cheap decent hunting o/u you can modify it (namely the stock and adding a second bead) to shoot trap or skeet.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:49 PM   #24
robroy15

Coffey, you are right-on.

Fausti (of Italy) are good guns. Now imported by "Tradewinds" and sold by Wall-Mart.

The over-under is not quite a Beretta, but for 50% of their prices, it is a good value.
Old December 17, 2006, 09:30 PM   #25
gary c coffey

I got to take the Fausti to the pasture ( we don't have a range ) to do a little field testing. * GOOD - the shotgun was light at 6 1/2 lbs. and I could swing it pretty quick for those mountain grouse. * GOOD - The fit and finish on the shotgun was what you would expect from a gun costing twice as much. * Fair - The interchangeable chokes seemed to pattern on the side of loose. It took the X full choke to do what I expected of a full, IC choke shot about cylinder. Also, It appears these chokes only come on very few little known guns and are difficult to locate. * Fair The recoil pad soaks up the 2 3/4" shells pretty good. However, a load of #4 high brass in 3" magnum will ring your bell pretty good. * BAD - Nothing. The gun did what it was supposed to do and did it well. More gun than I really expected for the money. .............. Summary: I was looking for a 20 gauge O/U at about 6 1/2 Lbs. or less, Chambered for the 3" shell, and with interchangable chokes. I wanted the gun to look like it cost more than I could pay. This little gun does it all. It may not be the only one that will, But if you are looking for a REALLY NICE 20 gauge that you will be happy with for years to come, I would highly recommend this shotgun. I got mine at CDNN on sale for $499.00 + $9.00 shipping. when I purchased mine they had about 40 more in stock. Look at the Anniversary sale, volume 2006-5, Bottom of page 13. Then read backwards to the front cover and look at some of the nicest shotguns you will ever see at these prices. ( no, I do not work for CDNN ) Gary.