The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 26, 2006, 05:06 PM   #1
johnm1

H&R 732 - Plastic Part of Mainspring

Hello All,

New to this forum but not new to handguns. It has been a while (like 20 years) but I used to shoot a S&W Model 57 (.41 Mag) in competition. Wasn't bad, wasn't great either. Marriage and kids meant the demise of some really nice firearms, but that's another story.

My wife was given a H&R 732 in .32 S&W by a neighbor who was moving. I have been thinking of carrying it while observing with my telescope in the desert surrounding our Phoenix area home. Several of the areas are quite remote and there is a bit of trafficking in both drugs and human contraband. My Security Six, .357 w/6" barrel, is just a tad too large though concealment is not a huge consideration here. Mostly I don't want it very obvious for other observers. Amateur astronomers being what they/we are.

This thing had an absolute terrible trigger pull even in single action. Not that I expected much for what is a very inexpensive revolver but I mean terrible. On occasion the hammer would not lock in the back position when cocked in single action. I removed the main spring and lo and behold the upper portion of the mainspring is made of plastic. There may be a more specific name for it, but as best I can tell it is plastic. The plastic part is molded to the center spring rod (spring around the rod) and appears to form a 'yoke' that cradles a rod or pin in the action. Needless to say when I removed the mainspring, the plastic parts fell out. Now the trigger pull is actually decent. I suppose because more the a 1/4" of spring length was removed when the plastic part fell off. I have searched the internet and it appears that I can still purchase a mainspring, plastic and all. I expect that it would not be the best investment as at $20.00 it would be more then a third of the value of the revolver itself. Currently the action functions fine without the plastic. Decent trigger pull and it always locks when cocked in single action.

Does anybody know if it will continue to function without the plastic yoke?

Does anybody have a drawing of this piece as it seems that I could fabricate a piece to replace the plastic yoke out of steel, if I had the proper dimensions.

I do have an exploded view of the parts but without dimensions. Dimensions can be extropolated from the existing but it would be hit or miss as the existing piece is now in at least 3 pieces, two of which I posses. The third is nowhere to be found.

John M.
Mesa, AZ
Old November 26, 2006, 08:10 PM   #2
RJay

I believe you can get the part you need from e-gunparts.com
Old November 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
johnm1

H&R Model 736 Mainspring

Thanks Rjay.

I didn't realize that the part was also made in steel.

John M.
Mesa, AZ
Old November 26, 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
ribbonstone

That plastic part (or the steel one) was what kept the main spring stut in posistion on the hammer...it also helped provide part of the rebound action that withdrew the firing pin.

Be careful...it's likely the hammer is all the way down...with firing pin fully forward...so when you try to close the loaded cylinder, will have the firing pin sticking out.

Without that part, it will fire for a time...but the mainspring stut will side off the center of the hammer sooner or later, and it won't fire.

Spend the $ for the replacement part.

---

Have 'fixed" them in the past by making a longer mainspring strut with a "ball" end, the drilling the hammer for a detent to that ball. Kind of tricky to get the hammer/firing pin rebound right, so it's not recommended

Last time I had to fix one, Numrich was out of that part. If you really have to, can make that plastic part in steel....but you'll get fustrated spending that much shop time making it.

----
So long as I'm at it, the only other part that breaks with some frequency is the hand spring. Its part of the hand; the little spring is joined to the hand. Can remove the spring and make a new little spring out of flat stock (or part of an old clock mainspring) and reattch it, but that is also a fustrating job.

(When that srping dies, the cylinder will rotate all of the time when the gun is pointed down...some of the time when pointed level...and not at all when pointed up.)

The last trouble area is loose screws and lost parts. The ones with windage adjustable sights are run by two screws that push the shight from side to side...pretty common to lose the sight blade when one screw gets loose. The ejector rod cap (which runs that little spring loaded lock you use to unlock and open the cylinder) loosens and falls off on occasion (which will shoot the little crane lock and it spring out to get lost as well).
Old November 27, 2006, 07:21 AM   #5
johnm1

Ribbonstone,

Thanks for the information. For $14.00 I'll spend the money to replace the main spring.

John M.
Mesa, AZ
Old November 29, 2006, 01:53 AM   #6
walter in florida

Gun parts corp has 5 for 31.00 or 1 for 16.00 in the plastic guide. They also have steel guides (older model). There was a gunsmith who had problems with H&Rs that came in the shop with plastic guides that would not fire in double action all the time and was considering going to the steel guide.
I have not heard how this worked out, so based on that, it may have not improved.
I also had problems and here is what I did with with little success:
1. heaver main spring, not too much or break plastic guide.
2. newer hammer, with better firing pin (striker)
3 new guide assy (pastic)
4 Brand new cylinder Did not install due to cost to fit, too, too high. paid 9.95 for cylinder. there was only about .001 to .002 difference between old and new cylinder were back of case is hit by hammer.

Conclusion: just shoot it in single action and do mess with it and shoot as is.
Old November 29, 2006, 07:51 AM   #7
johnm1

H&R 732 - Plastic Part of Mainspring

Thanks for the input Walter. This would not be my choice of revolver to use, the 32 S&W being marginal at best round. It was free and it is small but it needs to be reliable even at the cost of a terrible trigger pull. I am going to try to replace the plastic with the steel part and see what happens.

John M
Mesa, AZ
Old January 25, 2007, 07:57 AM   #8
johnm1

H&R 732 Mainspring Replacement - Steel

RJAY - I finally ordered the replacement mainspring from Numrich this past weekend. They processed the order on Monday and it was here on Wednesday. It fit without issue and the trigger pull is just fine as is.

I figure good service should be noted, though I expect most on this board know of Numrich's service.

Walter - As far as how the steel vs plastic guide goes, the function seems just fine with the steel . At least as good as this little gun gets. I have not shot it yet, but I expect it will be just fine under fire. With the broken plastic guide missing, the firing pin did protrude into the cylinder area. That of course was corrected with the replacement spring.

I'm still not sure what I am going to do with this little snubby. At 32 S&W, it will make noise but I sure wouldn't want to trust my life to it. It is the right size though a little heavy. I have been looking into the S&W Airweights and am tempted, but haven't made the leap yet. Even if I get an Airweight I still have this little 32 S&W. I can't imagine there is much of a market for them and I'm not sure I would want to donate it to someone who can't afford one and needs a SD weapon.

John M.
Mesa, AZ