The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 22, 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
MPanova

500 S&W vs 50AE??

After the first of the year I am going to get a check for around $2000 and I’m looking at either getting a Desert Eagle 50AE or the Taurus Raging Bull 500

I'm just wondering what the main differences are between the 2 calibers. Does anyone happen to have a pic of the rounds side by side for comparison?

I know I can pick up the Raging Bull a lot cheaper however the ammo is twice the price. I'm torn between which way I should go.

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"
Old November 22, 2006, 07:53 AM   #2
SD_Chop

The 500SW can be packed a lot hotter then the AE which means more velocity. The 50AE (action express) has smaller casings which allow it to be cycled through semi auto pistols. Kinda like the deal with a .357sig (smaller case, ment for semi autos) and the .357mag (larger case, lot hotter rounds). I have a raging bull in .454casull and love it dont get me wrong. But your comparing a plus $1000 gun and a sub $1000 gun. Why not the S&W 500 pretty much identical to the raging bull except the ones from their performance center are pretty cool.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
mbartel

If you buy your ammo from Ballistic-Supply.com it is not that much more than the .50AE. Also keep in mind....no lower-cost cast bullets in the .50AE DE. Lead and bullet lube will foul the gas port. And no reduced loads in the DE, it takes full power loads to properly cycle the action. Factory loads for the .500 S&W range from mild (Cor-Bons .500 Specials) to wild (Double Taps 3000+ FPE monster) And if you handload, now or later, the revolver options are almost unlimited. I like the DE .50AE, but it's a very narrow use tool. A good hunting handgun, but not a good plinker, and shooting full power loads all the time, may be outside of your comfort zone. Handloading the .50AE does require lubing the cases, a step most folks don't care for. Carbide dies are available for the .50AE, but they are very expensive. It is a tapered case, not a straight-walled case like the .500 S&W. I have read that some DEs will throw the empties right back at your head. I don't own one, so I can't verify that, but I have read it more than once from users of the gun. Anyway....there are pros and cons for each firearm, so you pays your money, and you takes your chances...
Old November 22, 2006, 01:01 PM   #4
stephen426

I'd have to say the Desert Eagle looks a heck of a lot cooler but neither gun is all that practical unless you live near the wilderness or plan on hunting with them. The .500 S&W is more powerful of the 2 and more versitile since operating pressures are not as critical in wheel guns. A weaker load in the Desert Eagle may not properly cycle it and a hotter load will beat up on the gun.
Old November 22, 2006, 02:02 PM   #5
flashguy

.50AE carbide dies?

mbartel, who is offering carbide dies for the .50AE? I have wanted those for a long time and was told it couldn't be done in the regular 7/8" series of loading dies (not enough room for the carbide insert). I would appreciate knowing where to buy those carbide dies. Price is not an object.

Thanks. flashguy
Old November 22, 2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Mr Kris

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=814495

Only $324 at Midway

But it looks like you have to get the set in order to get an adapter bushing to fit 7/8" threading... though it's not in the picture....

Last edited by Mr Kris; November 22, 2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Broken link
Old November 22, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Rimrod

I agree with the .500S&W over the .50AE. You can download the .500 to duplicate the .50AE but not the opposite. I recently saw an article where they were pushing lower powered rounds for the .500 using lead bullets and shorter cases which you can't do with the Desert Eagle.

I currently have a Desert Eagle in .50AE but am planning on getting a .500S&W.
Old November 22, 2006, 09:06 PM   #8
flashguy

The die description says it is a 1x14 thread, but standard dies are 7/8x14 and all normal presses are set up to use that thread, which is too small for the .50AE die. The only way that could be set up would be to modify the press to use 1x14 attachments and then get some kind of reduction adapters to put on all the other dies to be used in that press. That sounds like a lot of work to me.

flashguy
Old November 22, 2006, 09:12 PM   #9
db99wj

500 S&W

I shot one of those, 15 rounds at a show at a range, and that thing was awesome. Very very impressive. One I guess had a 6" barrel and the other was a 4" (I believe they were Smith & Wesson's) I giggled like a school girl when those things went off!
Old November 23, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10
MPanova

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

Looks like I'll end up with the Raging Bull. Thats kinda where I was leaning in the first place. I just wanted to way my options

Not only that it will be my first wheel gun too

Old November 23, 2006, 11:44 AM   #11
cpaspr

And probably your last

revolver too.

I mean, after that, why would you buy any puny little .357 or .44 or, heaven forbid - a .22?
Old November 24, 2006, 01:57 PM   #12
mbartel

MPanova-

There is one other thing to consider....good aftermarket grips are few and far between for the RB, so handle it first, and ideally shoot it before you buy, to determine if the factory grips feel good to you. With the kind of recoil this beast can generate, excellent hand to grip fit is very important.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:03 AM   #13
CypherNinja

+1

I've fired a Raging Bull in 454, and an X-Frame in 460. The grips on the RB were horrible for me, but the 460 was damn near perfect.

EDIT: Both were factory.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Pucker

Try to imagine what kind of AR you could get with that kind of money. You could probably get a Bushmaster flattop m4 with larue mounts/railed forend with an aimpoint on that sucker. Cheaper to shoot and cooler than a Deagle ever could be. May not be what you were looking for but my .02 nonetheless...
Old November 25, 2006, 01:19 AM   #15
Ac1d0v3r1d3

my .02

I'd go with the Desert Eagle, just for the cool factor. Either that for pick up a few different revos. Maybe a .22 and a .357 I dont think that the 500 S&W is the best entry into wheelgun-dom. Hows the resale value on the 500's?
Old November 26, 2006, 12:24 AM   #16
MPanova

Pucker.. I have no clue what you just said lol

Are you talking about rifles?

Old November 26, 2006, 04:16 AM   #17
Pucker

Sorry, I've been spending too much time at AR-15.com, it does things to you after seeing too many pictures of black rifles dressed to high heaven.
Old November 26, 2006, 04:42 AM   #18
MPanova

Ok I got ya now lol I'm not into rifles or long guns at all so a powerfull hand gun like the 2 mentioned is the bug thats biteing me right now

Old November 26, 2006, 04:49 AM   #19
Pucker

It will come. The evil black rifle bug is merciless...
Old November 26, 2006, 06:00 AM   #20
MPanova

"It will come. The evil black rifle bug is merciless..."

I hope I can avoid it

Old November 27, 2006, 08:19 PM   #21
bigautomatic

Cypherninja is right about the grips. If you decide to go with the 500, you really need to try the grips on the Taurus and the Smith before you buy. If you decide on the DE fiddy, the grip is much larger than most to accomodate the magazine and can be a real handfull if you have small paws. I have the DE in .44 mag and love it, and changing to the 50AE is only a matter of less than 30 seconds, to change barrel and magazine (the .50 and .44 utilize the same bolt, unlike the .357) I also have an X-frame Smith, but I opted for the 460 mag instead of the 500, simply because it also fires the 454 C and 45LC. Or maybe I just needed an excuse to buy three sets of reloading dies instead of just one?!?!
Old November 27, 2006, 08:40 PM   #22
cheygriz

You're comparing apples to oranges.

The Desert Eagle is a very limited pistol, and not very powerful compared to the .500 S&W.

A far better choice than either is the S&W .460. You can use 460 ammo, .454 Casull ammo, or .45 colt ammo. And the .460 is FAR more powerful than the .50AE.
Old December 3, 2006, 12:45 PM   #23
Socrates

Well, if DA isn't all that important, BFR's are a far better gun, more accurate then the Taurus, and more packable. You can check Magnum Research's website, but, they offer long cylinder .500 S&W, and, a bunch of rifle calibers, with more energy, in .458.
They also offer .475 Linebaugh in the short cylindered version, and, their guns are tack drivers, and super strong.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...Code=BFR500SW7

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...ode=BFR480-475

Their grips are excellent, and, since they are the same frame as Ruger's, they have a ton of options the other guns don't. Plus, they are made from VERY strong stainless. Sort of the poor man's Freedom Arms.

S
Old December 3, 2006, 01:03 PM   #24
Gixerman1000

I enjoy both of them

454casull - 50ae - 500mag

Old December 3, 2006, 11:24 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

personal opinion

I have or had Desert Eagles in .357 and .44. A literal blast to shoot, but not a whole lot of good for anything else. I have not yet tried the .50, but I don't see that as needful to my opinion. Unless you are going to scope it, or spend the extra on adjustable sights, the DE is very limited as to it's ammo. NO Cast bullets! Full house ammo, or it won't cycle. And the "fixed" sights are only going to be "on" for one bullet weight and velocity at one distance.

The S&W has greater untility, on every count. Greater max power, Ammo versatility, adjustable sights (standard), and a grip that most people can manage.

I don't know about the Taurus from personal experience. People say they are good, but if you are not going to nickel and dime the idea, why not spend your money on an American product?