The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old November 3, 2006, 02:33 AM   #1
Red Grant

SWAT vs SOF............

What do you guys think of comparative advantages of each mags?

Originally I started with SOF way back in 80's, (Yes, the days of "WonderNines", Ronnie "Rambo", "Die Hard", "Magnum P.I.").

They always seem to have cool mix of political coverage and firearms evaluation.

But as I've gotten older, and more professional, I started to notice that it's little details, such as training tips, non-firearms equipment that really make the big difference, not the latest, baddest guns.

I still believe that SOF does the most detailed, and articulate coverage when it comes to firearms. (I love the article they did on Walther P-5, most definitely one of the most underappreciated gun ever. Even SWAT's Leroy Thompson at first didn't think much of it. I know, because I read his early review of P-5 in several other publications in 80's, "Accurate, but very expensive" was the way he summed up.)

Only much later, in mid to late 90's, Leroy started to appreciate P-5 to the point he at one time thought of replacing his Sig Sauer with P-5 as his main defensive sidearm.

But when it comes to training and tactical advice, and review of non-firearms equipments, SWAT easily outshines SOF by a huge margin.

I loved the article Leroy Thompson did on csoptical recently. (That's the kind of column and advice people in the real world really appreciate, not some political grandstanding.)

I also love another article done by Louis Awerbuck? awhile back on the ways to deal with corners. I got a kick out of how he demolished the notion of "Quick Peek" that was offered as a legit tactical manuver till then (even now maybe?) as a dangerous, foolish, lunacy.

Awerbuck gave the most detailed, methodical way to implement "Slicing the Pie" manuver to deal with "Corner" problems that I had ever read anywhere!

Also, I really appreciate the fact that SWAT stays away from very opinionated (and sometimes a little superficial, and misinformed )political editorials that have nothing to do with RKBA, like SOF does on a regular basis.

P.S. I am most definitely not a political "Liberal" in contemprorary sense. In fact, quite a few friends of mine ( mostly veterans, and a few cops, with a few ex-Marines mixed in) sometimes kid me that I would sit somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan.)
Red Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Greg Bell

I prefer SWAT. SOF's firearms reviews are more cut and paste than I care for. SWAT will basically tell you like it is. I know SWAT is a money making venture, but they aren't going to post a glowing review of a piece of crap gun.

I also find SWATs training articles to be, generally, a good deal better than any competitors'.

SOF, OTOH, has some really interesting articles on world hot-spots, info that can't really be found anywhere else.
Old November 20, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

The two aren't really comparable. The publishers of each have seperate goals, both are admirable and both give good reading material.

I've had the honor of meeting Col. Brown twice, the last time he sat next to me at the, uhh, 'meat rack' of a well known "adult establishment", if you know what I mean.
He was either on his way to, or from, a fishing/hunting lodge that has also been frequented by SWATs publisher. Wonder if I've ever sat next to Lucibella at the Bush Company?
Rich, if I haven't had that pleasure yet, myself and the guys at WWG's shop would be willing to drag you over there next time you visit up here.
Old November 20, 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Pat Rogers

I also love another article done by Louis Awerbuck? awhile back on the ways to deal with corners. I got a kick out of how he demolished the notion of "Quick Peek" that was offered as a legit tactical manuver till then (even now maybe?) as a dangerous, foolish, lunacy.

Awerbuck gave the most detailed, methodical way to implement "Slicing the Pie" manuver to deal with "Corner" problems that I had ever read anywhere!

Red,
Louie is a friend and a great instructor.

However, I authored that article "The Quick Peek Revisited" in the August 2004 issue of SWAT.

I'm glad that you found that article helpful, and hope that you and others to continue to read not so much about hardware as the application of tactics to enhance winning the fight.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Greg Bell

You could republish it here!
Old November 21, 2006, 05:08 AM   #6
Pat Rogers

Actually i can't. It belongs to SWAT magazine, and they may have it available on PDF file for a fee.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Tried to attach it here, but the article file is too large. The full version PDF is available for purchase, online at http://swatmag.com/shop
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Greg Bell

Sweet, I didn't know you could buy the back issues in PDF.
Old November 22, 2006, 02:37 AM   #9
Red Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bell
SOF's firearms reviews are more cut and paste than I care for.

Well, I guess we disagree on this one. I think SOF does a wonderful job. (certainly far better than those run of the mill gun magazines)

They certainly didn't mince words even when it came to evaluating Scout Rifle for the intented purpose as envisioned by venerable late Col. Cooper.

Quote:
I know SWAT is a money making venture, but they aren't going to post a glowing review of piece of crap gun.

I agree.

Quote:
SOF, OTOH, has some really interesting articles on world hot-spots, info that really can't be found anywhere else.

I agree, but my problem is with their political editorials that have little to do with RKBA.

I don't necessarily disagree with their political editorials that have little to do with RKBA, just simply not satisfied with their "reasoning" or, lack thereof for those political editorials.

To Pat,

I'm glad now that I had used, Louis Awerbuck?, instead of Louis Awerbuck.

I think I got mixed up, because I think Louis did post an article regarding quick peek sometime, and for some reason, it burned into memory.

Old November 24, 2006, 09:18 PM   #10
rem33

Why not read and enjoy both?
rem33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2006, 02:10 AM   #11
hydrashok407

Greetings! My first post here, so let me just jump in and get the whole "FNG" thing out of the way...

A few years ago, I registered concealedhandgun.net but didn't do anything with it until recently. I had visions of starting my own printed publication. Why? Well, last month I decided to go ahead and get some things going with the website. I downloaded a PHP CMS and started setting up the site. I got a friend and a couple of family members to sign up and get some content up.

THEN, I was off to do some research... find out what's been going on out there, if you will. I went to PX and spent about $75 buying every gun related magazine on the rack. SOF and SWAT were in the stack along with a couple of versions of Guns and Ammo magazines and some others I'd never heard of before.

I was grossly disappointed in every single magazine I read before the last one... SWAT. The November issue was my first, and I was lucky that Decembers hit the rack a few days after I had bought November's. I hadn't even finished reading all the articles before I bought the next issue. My next step will be a subscription... after payday

I had my bubble bursted (that's Texas talk), however, as my first few ideas for articles were already covered in the November issue... the "sympathetic squeeze" and "weapons cleaning myths" articles just took the wind right out of my sails. Now, I'm stuck with a dead website and deflated dreams... there's no way I could ever keep up with what I consider the perfect periodical. They even beat me to the idea of giving accessibility to their contributors via online forums (they point that out in the magazine itself, although they didn't publish this link directly)...

So, thanks a lot, SWAT Magazine!
hydrashok407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006, 09:56 AM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff

High praise, HS. Thank you. We'll do our best to keep S.W.A.T. the best magazine of its type available.
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Mini14

I like both, I wished the Rite Aid in Clay sold them; Does SWAT retail at Kroger and Wal-MART.
Mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote