The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 9, 2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Trebla
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2006
Posts: 101
Attention all Glock 36 owners..............

Saw a Glock 36 in the local shop today and looked it over for about 15 minutes. I was impressed with how thin it was due to single stack magazine and all. Other than what I have read I don't really have any knowledge of this particular Glock model.

Whoever owns one or has shot one please give me some major feedback. I would like to know is it worth buying and trusting your life with it.
Trebla is offline  
Old November 9, 2006, 08:54 PM   #2
RevolverLover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2004
Posts: 1,682
The from what I have seen and read the G36 is Glocks problem child. Have you looked at the G30? They tend to be more reliable.
RevolverLover is offline  
Old November 10, 2006, 08:42 AM   #3
cocojo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 23, 2000
Posts: 440
Is the 36 new or used? Some of the early ones did have a problems. I owned an older 36. The older ones would fail to extract and would pull the case only half way out, then a new round would double feed. I am an Armorer for Glocks. I changed parts in the pistol and found that the extractor rod was too short. I swapped the rod with a Glock 30 which was slightly longer and it fixed the problems. Past the info along to one of the reps at Glock. I now own a newer G36 Green frame and this gun is super. No problems what so ever. It shoots anything without a hitch and prefers the new silvertip 185's for one hole groups all day. This is one of the best carry guns around and it's light weight and a 45 to boot. It also fits my hand better than the 26 of the 27 models. I won't part with my gun, and I love the color of the frame.
cocojo is offline  
Old November 10, 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
LSP972
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2006
Posts: 189
You will hear both sides; here's mine.

I have been a dedicated Glock-o-phile for many years. I'm a cop and carry professionally, so I have a bit of a vested interest in my guns...

Anyway, I have a Glock 19 that has been a trusted comrade since 1992, and several other Glock 9mms that I have equal confidence in.

Earlier this year, I decided I wanted to go back to carrying a .45. I have a department-issue Sig P220, but it is a bit large and heavy for concealed carry (I work plainclothes). I have seen several G-36s on our range, and noted one salient fact; the weaker shooters have trouble with this gun.

Of course, dedicated G-36 fans will bray something to the effect of if you're not man enough to make the gun work, etc., etc... Right. This thread is not the place for a discussion of why a gun that needs the absolute most from the shooter in a gun fight is not a good idea. But I have also seen a LOT of complaints regarding the G-36 on other forums. The gun had serious magazine trouble when it was introduced. These problems seemed to have been fixed. But where there's smoke, there's fire.

This attitude annoys G-36 lovers. Sin loi. I chose an HK USP Compact, and haven't looked back.

I have shot a G-36. It is a nice pistol. You rarely see ANY complaints regarding Glock pistols. But the majority of the ones I have seen are about the G-36.

FWIW...

.
LSP972 is offline  
Old November 10, 2006, 09:20 AM   #5
mjrodney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2006
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 435
"........Xin Loi......."

That pins down your age group, LSP972.

You're not a newbie at this game.
__________________
Proud supporter of the NRA
mjrodney is offline  
Old November 10, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6
atblis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Posts: 441
I can't comment on the

I can't comment on the reilability/durability.

My friend has one, and I've shot it a few times. No problems here. My impressions.

Recoil was no where near as bad as I expected it to be.
Accuracy was acceptable.
It was actually rather unremarkable. For a CCW it seemed great, for plinking it was pretty boring. Fortunately I don't think Glock intended for it to be a soda-can killing machine.
atblis is offline  
Old November 10, 2006, 10:36 AM   #7
ReefBlueCoupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2001
Location: TN
Posts: 134
It's a good gun, jams every now and then though.
__________________
I'm a brick house and you're a lean-to.
www.lxcoupe.com

Last edited by ReefBlueCoupe; November 12, 2006 at 03:14 PM.
ReefBlueCoupe is offline  
Old November 11, 2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Trebla
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2006
Posts: 101
Glock 30 it is!!

I read, I listened, and I have decided. The Glock 30 will be my next purchase and first .45 ACP. I can't wait. One of the guys in my local guy shop is a retired firearms instructor, who worked for my local PD. He said, that the G30 was the way to go and I trust his opinion ( he taught me how to shoot when I first started out ). I still can't shoot worth a lick, I think I'm going to sue him.

All jokes aside, he told me if I am going to trust it with my life, then get the Glock 30.
Trebla is offline  
Old November 11, 2006, 05:08 PM   #9
deadmarsh
Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2006
Posts: 57
Good Luck, Trebla.

Just be sure to follow Glock's guidelines as to ammo and bullets (no reloads, no lead, SAAMI pressures)...

And, down the road, give the American classic (1911 Goverment) a try as you build up your arsenal...


Dead
deadmarsh is offline  
Old November 13, 2006, 10:05 PM   #10
LSP972
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2006
Posts: 189
[That pins down your age group.]

Busted!
LSP972 is offline  
Old November 14, 2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Primer
Registration in progress
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Posts: 71
I have had a G36 for several years now and love it. The only problem I have ever had was when I put the +1 grip extensions on it. I would get a failure to feed with those mags. The standard 6 round mags always worked without a flaw. Highly reccomend it.
Primer is offline  
Old November 14, 2006, 01:44 AM   #12
denfoote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 12, 1999
Location: Buckeye Arizona
Posts: 5,526
There's nothing wrong with the Glock 30.
I've had two of them.
I just found that the G36 fits my hand better.
I've also had no problems with mine that were not caused by me.
__________________
Ich bin kein Nationalsozialist!!!!!!
Ich bin Republikaner!!!!!!!!
Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
denfoote is offline  
Old November 14, 2006, 07:27 PM   #13
Seven High
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 11, 2004
Posts: 473
I suggest that you test fire that Glock 36 before you buy it. I had one for a while. It suffered from numerous failure to feeds. I am positive that I was not limp wristing it. Other shooters could not get it to shoot reliably either.
Seven High is offline  
Old November 15, 2006, 06:40 PM   #14
cajunbill
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2006
Posts: 1
I have a 36 that has been my carry /backup for about 6 years. Must have 300-400 rounds of designer ammo thru it and never had a failure. It is a handful, and makes a big bang: but I would not trade it for anything except capacity. Living west of "Big Easy" post Katrina I carried the 36 and a 19. The Limp-wrist idea is real. I have seen guys shoot all kinds of pistols, and then pick up a KelTec P3AT and --FTF!!
cajunbill is offline  
Old November 16, 2006, 02:30 AM   #15
dajowi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2005
Posts: 976
The worst mistake I ever made was trading my Colt Officers Lightweight for a Glock 36. Nothing classey about the Glock. Easy to disassemble. Least accurate of any semiauto owned. Can't recall a single FTF or FTE. Recoil was astounding and much more than my Coonan .357 magnum semiauto pistol. The Glock didn't need frequent cleaning. Had a Laser Max internal laser which was cool. Also had a professional grip reduction done. Still hated the Glock. Two friends were so impressed with the Model 36 after I bought it that they bought one too. It didn't take long for them to regard the Glock as a purchasing mistake. Trying to sell them was a sorry affair, one Glock dealer said he didn't want them because the "plastics market is soft right now." I'm not kidding that is a direct quote. Well we took a financial beating and sold them. We'd never buy another one. But of course many people love their Glocks.
dajowi is offline  
Old November 16, 2006, 03:52 AM   #16
jlh26oo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
The worst mistake I ever made was trading my Colt Officers Lightweight for a Glock 36. Nothing classey about the Glock. Easy to disassemble. Least accurate of any semiauto owned. Can't recall a single FTF or FTE. Recoil was astounding and much more than my Coonan .357 magnum semiauto pistol. The Glock didn't need frequent cleaning. Had a Laser Max internal laser which was cool. Also had a professional grip reduction done. Still hated the Glock. Two friends were so impressed with the Model 36 after I bought it that they bought one too. It didn't take long for them to regard the Glock as a purchasing mistake. Trying to sell them was a sorry affair, one Glock dealer said he didn't want them because the "plastics market is soft right now." I'm not kidding that is a direct quote. Well we took a financial beating and sold them. We'd never buy another one. But of course many people love their Glocks.
What was it that impressed them so much after shooting yours that made them EACH buy one for themselves... then later regard as a purchasing mistake (then also same as your regrets- accuracy and recoil)? Did you try to warn them? lol

Well, at least yours didn't have failures. Did theirs?
jlh26oo is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 04:10 AM   #17
dajowi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2005
Posts: 976
Why did my two friends purchase the same model Glock? The simple answer is the same reason why I traded in the Colt. Advertising, slick promotion, satisfied Glock owners, infatuation with the new polymer prince of pistols, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't until after I shoot a couple of boxes through it that I realized that I had made a serious mistake. I poured hundreds of dollars into the piece trying to make me feel better about it but it didn't help. Discovering a low resale value convenced me to get rid of it. I didn't like the Glock enough to keep it. One friend sold his shortly after I got rid of mine and the third guy, Dave, still has his in the box - unfired. He probably will never shoot it.
dajowi is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 04:57 AM   #18
mjrodney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2006
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 435
Quote:
Advertising, slick promotion, satisfied Glock owners, infatuation with the new polymer prince of pistols, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't until after I shoot a couple of boxes through it that I realized that I had made a serious mistake.
Yup. Me too.

All the hype led me down a similar path.

At the sales counter I could not detect anything that would deter me from buying the firearm, and I even rented a sample a couple of weeks earlier and put 50 rounds through the thing before I bought my own, but when I spent some quality time with my new purchase at the range, its unique characteristics, regrettably, became more apparent.

It functioned just fine, as accurate as any, but it wasn't a good match for my preferences in the grip and the trigger.

Traded it on a Sig P220 and rationalized the financial loss by saying to myself that all education costs something.

What about the hype? I'm still listening, but with lessons learned under my belt.
__________________
Proud supporter of the NRA
mjrodney is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 06:54 AM   #19
jlh26oo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Posts: 504
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
Why did my two friends purchase the same model Glock?
No. I mean, you got yours, then despite you hating yours so much, your friends were still so impressed with it they BOTH had to have one for themselves? What were they so impressed with in yours exactly? regarding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
Two friends were so impressed with the Model 36 after I bought it that they bought one too.






Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
I poured hundreds of dollars into the piece trying to make me feel better about it but it didn't help.
Just curious- but on what exactly? That sucks. Good thing you got rid of it before hundreds turned into THOUSANDS!

So i take it all three worked ok? It was pretty much the lack of class, poor accuracy, and too much recoil you mentioned that you were not satisfied with? Could you at least get a fist size group at 10 to 15 yards? Bench resting it at 25 yards not up to standards? Or how inaccurate was it exactly? Also, would you say the following statement is true for all three, or just yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
Can't recall a single FTF or FTE.

Thanks for taking the time to break this down. Very helpful since you have experience with THREE of them (between yourself, dave, and the other guy). No one can say you three guys didn't give it the ol' college try!

jlh26oo is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 01:55 PM   #20
AngusPodgorney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Location: DelaWHERE?
Posts: 514
The OP said he bought a model 30 over a week ago and people are still arguing and giving their opinions on the model 36?
__________________
Gunstock 2007 coming soon!
AngusPodgorney is offline  
Old November 22, 2006, 02:51 AM   #21
dajowi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2005
Posts: 976
More than half the fun of buying a new gun is figuring out what gun you want and finding out every conceivable detail regarding the model, the company, etc. etc. etc. At the time Glock was still "hot" and so I was first to purchase. Of course Larry envied my purchase and set about his own agenda for "trading up." Both my friends tried my Glock at the range but shooting a couple of mags of ammo through it is hardly a shakedown cruise. You notice little things here and there that you assume you can fix. Well it was not long before Larry purchased his Glock. If I recall he traded in his ParaOrdinance P-14. We razzed Dave day in and day out about the polymer perfection that is Glock. We were pretty relentless in our kidding about how he needed to get on the Glock bandwagon and get into plastic. Dave finally bought his Model 36. It didn't take long for the love affair to start to wither. The grip, the accuracy and the recoil were the main offenders. I got a professional grip reduction which was very nicely executed, but no real help. Various sight combinations didn't improve accuracy, although I did get a LaserMax internal sight which set me back a few hundred dollars. One thing I didn't like about the Glock from the outset was the lack of a manual safety. Double actions by virtue of the heavy trigger pull need no manual safety but on an auto with a virtual single action set up I was a bit uncomfortable. Mind you I've always shot SA autos, have never had an accidential discharge in some 35 years of gun handling because I never put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to fire. Perhaps some would consider it redundant to have a manual safety on a firearm which professes a "safe" action. I had a manual safety installed by Alex Hamilton at 10-Ring Precision. Money I pad out for a nice Galco shoulder rig added to the expense. It didn't take long before Larry decided to enhance his Glock and he spent much money and time trying to "like" it as well. I can't vouch for the third gun since Dave has never taken his out of the box, but I think he's just saving it to trade in for something else. Both Larry's and my gun were reliable with any ammo but the accuracy at 15 yards was appalling. Two experienced shooters shouldn't have such problems. Hell, half the time we couldn't even tell where the rounds were hitting on a standard 50ft target because most of time they were a complete miss. Did I forget to mention just how light weight the Model 36 is, and how the single stack configuration made it a dream to carry concealed, or so they said. It was neither of these in my estimation and I've been carrying concealed for 20 years. It did have a couple of things going for it. It was the only firearm of which I didn't care whether or not it got battered and scratched. It never malfunctioned that I can remember with any ammo that I shot through it. It was the second easiest pistol to disassemble. I can't say that I didn't try to make the Glock work out. It just wasn't in the cards.
dajowi is offline  
Old November 22, 2006, 05:23 AM   #22
jlh26oo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 7, 2006
Posts: 504
Thanks dajowi, but you must have missed Angus' post- he no longer wants us discussing the 36 here, as the OP already purchased something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusPodgorney
The OP said he bought a model 30 over a week ago and people are still arguing and giving their opinions on the model 36?
Sorry about that Angus. Just a couple more off-topic post here (if you don't mind), then we'll either make a new thread specifically about the 36, or wrap it up via PM's (thanks).




So basically, they each put a couple of mags through yours at the range, and were "so impressed" with it, that they had to have one for themselves. Then like you, they started realizing they hated the following, unfortunately only after purchasing:

-poor hand fit (undetectable via ~2 mags testing & fondling; unremediable via grip alteration)
-lack of EM safety (remedied)
-excessive recoil
-poor accuracy
-poor sights (remedied)
-trigger = "virtual single action setup" (wow, that's the first I've ever heard the GLOCK trigger described that way!)
-NOT light and NOT concealable

So those couple of mags they put through yours- did they just by happenstance shoot those more accurately; or not accurately at all, and just hoped it would get better as they got used to it, and did grip reductions etc?

Did the recoil of those couple of mags also not bother them initially? Or was it not until they had bought one of their own before realizing just how harsh it was?

Similarly, did you realize before you bought it that a grip alteration would be necessary? Or did it feel good in the store b/f the purchase? Not that in-store fondling will provide the whole picture of hand fit, but how did it feel when(if) you held it b/f buying? And how were L&D's impressions on grip feel after shooting a couple of mags through yours? Was it ok intitially, then got worse? Or poor from the onset, and they thought they'd just get used to it?

And the size and weight- looked smaller in the shop than it turned out to be in your waistband? CC'ability is highly ymmv of course, but 22oz empty/27oz loaded is heavy? Those Colt Officers Lightweights must be lightweight INDEED:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
The worst mistake I ever made was trading my Colt Officers Lightweight for a Glock 36.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
More than half the fun of buying a new gun is figuring out what gun you want and finding out every conceivable detail regarding the model, the company, etc. etc. etc. At the time Glock was still "hot" and so I was first to purchase. Of course Larry envied my purchase and set about his own agenda for "trading up." Both my friends tried my Glock at the range but shooting a couple of mags of ammo through it is hardly a shakedown cruise. You notice little things here and there that you assume you can fix. Well it was not long before Larry purchased his Glock. If I recall he traded in his ParaOrdinance P-14. We razzed Dave day in and day out about the polymer perfection that is Glock. We were pretty relentless in our kidding about how he needed to get on the Glock bandwagon and get into plastic. Dave finally bought his Model 36. It didn't take long for the love affair to start to wither. The grip, the accuracy and the recoil were the main offenders. I got a professional grip reduction which was very nicely executed, but no real help. Various sight combinations didn't improve accuracy, although I did get a LaserMax internal sight which set me back a few hundred dollars. One thing I didn't like about the Glock from the outset was the lack of a manual safety. Double actions by virtue of the heavy trigger pull need no manual safety but on an auto with a virtual single action set up I was a bit uncomfortable. Mind you I've always shot SA autos, have never had an accidential discharge in some 35 years of gun handling because I never put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to fire. Perhaps some would consider it redundant to have a manual safety on a firearm which professes a "safe" action. I had a manual safety installed by Alex Hamilton at 10-Ring Precision. Money I pad out for a nice Galco shoulder rig added to the expense. It didn't take long before Larry decided to enhance his Glock and he spent much money and time trying to "like" it as well. I can't vouch for the third gun since Dave has never taken his out of the box, but I think he's just saving it to trade in for something else. Both Larry's and my gun were reliable with any ammo but the accuracy at 15 yards was appalling. Two experienced shooters shouldn't have such problems. Hell, half the time we couldn't even tell where the rounds were hitting on a standard 50ft target because most of time they were a complete miss. Did I forget to mention just how light weight the Model 36 is, and how the single stack configuration made it a dream to carry concealed, or so they said. It was neither of these in my estimation and I've been carrying concealed for 20 years. It did have a couple of things going for it. It was the only firearm of which I didn't care whether or not it got battered and scratched. It never malfunctioned that I can remember with any ammo that I shot through it. It was the second easiest pistol to disassemble. I can't say that I didn't try to make the Glock work out. It just wasn't in the cards.



It almost seems like the 36 makes a strong initial impression (or at least to you three), but it's not until you actually buy it that all these issues rear their ugly heads! Guess the best advice is to thoroughly test it out before you "buy into the hype", ah?
jlh26oo is offline  
Old November 22, 2006, 06:34 AM   #23
threegun
Junior member
 
Join Date: March 1, 2006
Location: Tampa,Fl
Posts: 4,000
Sounds like hogwash to me. Two guys actually fire the pistol, like it enough to buy one, then hate it????????? I smell a rat.

Angus, Others might be considering a G-36 purchase and this thread is about the G-36. Why are you still looking a week later
threegun is offline  
Old November 22, 2006, 09:13 AM   #24
AngusPodgorney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Location: DelaWHERE?
Posts: 514
Quote:
Sorry about that Angus. Just a couple more off-topic post here (if you don't mind), then we'll either make a new thread specifically about the 36, or wrap it up via PM's (thanks).
No need to apologize to me, I'm nobody. I was just curious why people were posting without reading all the previous posts.

Quote:
Why are you still looking a week later
For the same reason everyone else is, it comes up near the top with new posts. Who knows, there could have been more feedback from the OP... but of course, no.
__________________
Gunstock 2007 coming soon!
AngusPodgorney is offline  
Old November 23, 2006, 10:23 AM   #25
Ozzieman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 14, 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,964
Diddnt care for the 36

I shot a box through friends and didn’t care for the gun. I own a 26 which turned me into a Glock a holick and I wanted to add a larger caliber from Glock.
I have a total of 6 45 auto loaders with the latest being a Kimber Royal carry so I am used to the recoil. It’s the way that the 36 recoiled that turned it off for me. I have seen few guns with as much muzzle flip at the 36 had and the only gun that left as much of a mark on the tang of the hand was a PPKs that I owned.
The gun that my friend has is an early model and he has had little trouble with it and carries it the most.
I would try to shoot one before you buy one.
Ozzieman is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.13277 seconds with 7 queries