The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 2, 2006, 05:29 AM   #1
fourteenplusone

mauser k98 for big bore caliber

what's up out there! i'm a new member! i'm going to be building a custom rifle based on the k98 action and was wondering if anyone could tell me the maximum chamber pressure that is acceptable for it. i was going to build it in 450 marlin but didn't want to have it explode in my face.(would not be very fun)! any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thanx!

fourteenplusone
Old November 2, 2006, 05:55 AM   #2
tomh1426

By the time you get done playing Bubba youll have spent as much or more than if you just got what you wanted in the first place.
I think Its sad when people permanantly alter historical guns.
Sorry Im not much help
Old November 2, 2006, 07:20 AM   #3
silicon wolverine

if youre going to hatchet a mauser at least go buy a yugo M48 and use it instead. that being said, the mauser action has been built on for deacades with hi pressure rounds. no its not going to hold a 500 nitro express or a 325 RSAUM but any of the standard magnums should be OK

SW
Old November 2, 2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Jim Watson

A K98 Mauser would have originally been in 7.92x57 which is in the same pressure range as .30-06 and a whole host of other "modern" cartridges. They have been rebarrelled for about anything that would physically fit, including belted magnums and .270 which are a lot higher pressure than .450 Marlin.

As our resident historians say, it is no longer socially acceptable to sporterize a Nazi surplus weapon, but there are plenty of such guns and actions that have already been altered beyond any collector's interest for you to work with.

Now we get to the hard part. To build a .450 Marlin on a Mauser action would require that you alter the bolt face and extractor to take the larger diameter case head and then install (contour, thread, chamber, headspace) a barrel; both standard procedures in Mauser gunsmithing.
Then you have to get it to feed a straight belted cartridge out of a magazine made for a rimless bottleneck. That will be the challenge. Are you up for it?
Old November 2, 2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Buck2

The Yugo will not be long enough for some of the large calibers. It is a ΒΌ shorter than a standard 98. I think a .458 win. is about as large as you can go with a 98. My suggestion would be to buy the "Mauser M98 & M96" book from Midway, it shows you the modifications you will have to do to use magnum calibers.

Most people use a CZ 24, FN, 1909, 1922, or an aftermarket receiver for the large calibers.

You will defiantly have as much or more in the gun than a new one, but if you can do it yourself you will be much more proud of the gun.

I would look at this as a six month project.

Buck
Old November 2, 2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Scorch

I think it would be a kick to build a 98 in 450 Marlin. I have been keeping my eyes open for an old FN or MarkX Mauser for just that purpose. As they said, you have to open up the bolt face and deal with the feeding issues, and of course bend the bolt, drill and tap, polish, build a hinged floorplate for the magazine, and a new safety and trigger mechanism. But you would need to do that with any magnum caliber conversion on the M98. I would start with a commercial Mauser action and just deal with the rebarreling to 450 Marlin. Everything else is already done, and it would actually be cheaper than starting with a milsurp action. What a cool rifle after all that is done!
Taylor Machine
Old November 2, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
pesta2

I been wanting a bolt action .450 Marlin myself. Read about one in an article. There are a ton of actions out there for sale. Maybe buy an action from a local dealer or find a used action at guns show. Then get a stock for it at Boyds stocks. Have a company like ER Shaw make a barrel and mount it to the action and you are in business!

http://www.montanarifleman.com/shortaction.htm
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
Old November 2, 2006, 04:55 PM   #8
fourteenplusone

that is what i was planning to do is start with a commercial action. so all you resto freaks out there don't worry i'm not going to chop up an original k98. even i think that isn't right! thanx for the help so far guys!!

fourteenplusone
Old November 2, 2006, 05:21 PM   #9
p230

You might check with Ron Shirk. They did have some of the zastava mauser actions left in stock. You won't get anything but the action but it is brand new and will handle anthing that the K98 will plus it has a side safety vs. the bolt safety which I personally like. I got 3 and will eventually get around to building them up.

Good Luck

p230
Old November 3, 2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Jimro

Any quality m98 action will work, zastava's are a good choice if you can get one. A lot of Siamese mausers were turned into 45-70's since the bolt face didn't need modification.

Jimro
Old November 4, 2006, 10:52 PM   #11
cracked butt

I think the .458 Win mag was developed specifically for surplus mauser 98 actions, its a fairly well known conversion and is much more powerful than the marlin cartridge, it would be a good cartidge to pick.