The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Troy26

Does the PX4's rotating barrel give it an edge over guns with standard barrels?

I've already heard from one member of this forum who says they don't . SInce I have been giving some thought to this pistol, I'd REALLY like to hear from others here who have experience with it. Thanks.
Old October 23, 2006, 02:47 AM   #2
kozak6

What is a standard barrel?

The accuracy advantage is mostly theoretical.

I would say that the individual gun is more important than how the barrel moves, really.

Some of those 1911's (tilting barrels) can be frighteningly accurate, and with some fixed barrel guns, you can't hit the broad side of a barn with (from the inside!).
Old October 23, 2006, 03:04 AM   #3
jlh26oo

I thought the whole idea was that more recoil was absorbed by converting into the rotation, rather than any advantage in accuracy. THe one I shot was a 9mm, so recoil would be a non issue regardless. It was accurate enough, but I hated the trigger. A definite try b/f you buy.
Old October 23, 2006, 05:24 AM   #4
mete

Recoil will be absorbed [spread out over time ] only if it's delayed blowback rather than locked breech.Rotating barrel can be either. Rotating barrel designs have been used for about 100 years, nothing new .Accuracy depends on care in dimensions more than anything...Always try a gun before you buy .
Old October 23, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5
stmcelroy

No. It's just there way of doing something different.

Steve

Pocket, IWB, OWB holsters for CCW guns.
Old October 23, 2006, 01:41 PM   #6
ranburr

I am not a fan of Beretta. But, these guns have a noticeable reduction in recoil and are very accurate.

ranburr
Old October 23, 2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Troy26

Quote:
I am not a fan of Beretta. But, these guns have a noticeable reduction in recoil and are very accurate.
Quote:
The accuracy advantage is mostly theoretical.
It seems opinion on this goes from one extreme to the other! Are there any good articleon this gun?
Old October 23, 2006, 06:20 PM   #8
TwoKings

I have a PX4 in .40 S&W and the recoil felt more like a 9mm...to me at least.
Old October 23, 2006, 07:08 PM   #9
mete

The website says 'locked breech ' so there is no delayed blowback to reduce felt recoil. If it feels better to you then it's the ergonomics . BTW I applaude Beretta's use of interchangeable back straps ,then you can pick the one that fits you best !!
Old October 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #10
theberettaman

The Px4 is actually a locked breech,short recoil delayed blowback design.The breech is locked during firing,thus delaying the blowback untill excess gasses are expelled before going thru its short recoil.
Old October 24, 2006, 10:49 AM   #11
mete

That explaination is poor. You can have a locked breech, where the barrel and slide are locked together until the bullet has left the barrel. You can have delayed blowback where there is a delay mechanism [gas (P7), roller (P9) ,momentum block (Rem M51) etc where the barrel is not locked to the slide and the breechbolt starts to move as soon as ignition occurs. Straight blowback, of course has the barrel fixed to the frame and the slide weight and spring absorb the recoil forces.
Old October 24, 2006, 11:02 AM   #12
theberettaman

Isn't having a locked breech by default having a delayed blowback?
Old October 24, 2006, 11:06 AM   #13
shield20

According to Beretta, the reduced recoil is due to the design allowing a lower bore axis. Accuracy is improved due to the locking lugs and muzzle bulge ensuring tighter lockup.

http://www.px4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=49
Old October 24, 2006, 11:09 AM   #14
Freetacos

Had a Beretta Cougar 8040 with rotating barrel. Would jam every other mag. There is just too much friction, which compromises reliability, even with oil and cleaning.
Old October 24, 2006, 11:17 AM   #15
shield20

While my 8040 and 8000L have been flawless. What kind of jams were you seeing?
Old October 24, 2006, 04:07 PM   #16
Syntax360

Sorry if I'm stepping a little outside the parameters of the thread, but I have a Sigarms Mauser M2 .40 that also uses a rotating barrel setup, and compared side to side with any 9mm I own or have ever shot, the M2's perceived recoil is only a hair more than standard pressure 9mm. Load up some +P or +P+ 9mm loads and the .40 M2 easily takes the prize as softest recoiling.

But ya, a lot of that has to due with size and weight of the pistol.

Ultimately, I would say that it does play a role, though as others have already said, overall design qualities and ergonomics will do more at the end of the day.
Old October 24, 2006, 05:26 PM   #17
Dreadnought

I will go so far as to venture my PX4 feels like a .22 after a few mags out of my 1911. It is slightly softer compared to my M9. Some people are not fans of the DA trigger (DA/SA). Never had one problem shooting over 1000 rounds of all kinds of factory ammo out of it.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:39 AM   #18
seeker_two

Along this thread's line, I have a question about rotating-barrel actions.

Are they more sensitive to dirt and debris than the traditional tilting-barrel actions? From what little I've read about them (Beretta Cougar, Mauser M2), it seems that they have to be kept almost spotlessly clean in order to work reliably (even more than an AR-15). This has been my only hesitation in buying one (esp. the M2...I actually LIKE where the safety is located).

Thanks in advance....
Old October 25, 2006, 07:31 AM   #19
Troy26

Good question. I was also wondering if they required more lubrication.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:42 AM   #20
Syntax360

I've never noticed any reliability concerns. We put 800 rounds through my M2 the second week I had her and that was without cleaning from the previous week's range session of 400 rounds. I've NEVER had a hiccup in my M2 - more than I can say for my USPc or GSR.

I've heard a lot of people rag on the lubrication issue, but never any first hand anecdotes. However, I can't recall a SINGLE M2 owner complaining of a FTF or FTE. The gun is built like a tank and is definitely the most reliable pistol in my stable. If you are hesitant to buy an M2 for reliability concerns, you haven't done any homework - check out Sigforum and search for first hand accounts from owners. There aren't many owners, but those who do have one know they are unstoppable.
Old October 25, 2006, 09:50 AM   #21
Dreadnought

I don't see why the rotating system would be any more sensitive to dirt and why it would be an issue. The most I ever fired was 300 rounds at one range session, and have never had any hiccups over the (relatively short) lifetime of the gun. There are people who have put a couple tens of the thousands of rounds through theirs and none have reported any problems. Why would you neglect your gun and not keep it clean anyway?
Old October 25, 2006, 12:28 PM   #22
MichaelScott

As of this week I have put about 3,000 rounds through my 9mm PX4 without a single jam, missfire, or missfeed. The gun does have less recoil then other 9mm's I've shot. Since the gun is super light the recoil savings probably come from the rotating barrel or design of the slide.

As I've stated in another post where I gave a full review of the gun- I do not think it a very accurate pistol. Fun to shoot? Sure. Easy to clean? Yep. Great for the wife? Totally. But accurate as comparable guns? Nope.
Old October 25, 2006, 07:40 PM   #23
Syntax360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScott
I do not think it a very accurate pistol. Fun to shoot? Sure. Easy to clean? Yep. Great for the wife? Totally. But accurate as comparable guns? Nope.
Are you blaiming the rotating barrel assembly for problems in the accuracy department, or just the pistol in general?
Old October 25, 2006, 08:26 PM   #24
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScott
As I've stated in another post where I gave a full review of the gun- I do not think it a very accurate pistol. Fun to shoot? Sure. Easy to clean? Yep. Great for the wife? Totally. But accurate as comparable guns? Nope.
Just how inaccurate is it? I think mine is quite accurate, people on berettaforum call it their most accurate. I was able to make 2.5 in. groups at 10 yd. the first time I ever fired it and it was the first pistol I had ever shot.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:29 PM   #25
Troy26

Those of you who have one / have used one: how would you rate it in terms of accuracy, reliability, felt recoil, and ability for follow-up shots?

I welcome responses from all PX4 owners/users, but I'd ESPECIALLY like to hear from those that have experience with the .40

Also, for those that are / have carried it...how is it in terms of concealbility?

One more thing...what's dissassembly like? I was really interested in teh M&P before I learned of the little lever (that by more than one account is supposedly fairly flimsy) that had to be pushed down with a special tool...%^@! that!