The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2006, 05:43 PM   #1
taybri

RCBS Uniflow and 9mm glock data questionsloc

Is it possible to mount an RCBS Uniflow powder measure on top of a Lee powder through expander pistol die? Does someone make a thread adaptor for that?

Also, I just started loading 9mm for two Glocks, models 17, and 26. I bought a box of Berry's MFG plated 115 gr RN bullets. Later I realized that plated and jacket are not the same thing. About their own plated bullets, Berry's MFG website says to use load data for jacket rounds but stay away from max loads. -Fine. I chose data from my Lee Modern Reloading manual for the w231 powder I already stock for my .45acp load. The starting load for 115 gr jacketed 9mm is 4.3 gr. That won't even cycle my G26. (I didn't try it in my G17). I moved up to 4.7 grains and the 17 functions fine, but the 26 still fails to eject about 1/5of the rounds. 4.8 is the "NEVER EXCEED" data.

I gather from a friend in the know that the 26 uses a heavier recoil system and that may be at play here. Can someone recommend good economic published load data for a practice round that will cycle both pistols?

I load 9mm on a lyman turret press, which is faster than my craptacular lee pro 1000 in .45acp.
Old October 10, 2006, 09:16 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I load 9mm. With the Berry's bullets you want to stay under 1200 fps. On the Berry's web site in FAQ they tell you to load in the mid range of a jacketed bullet. I have used Bullseye 4.2gr, 4.4gr and 4.6gr with Berry's 115gr bullet. Also HS-6 6.7gr, 7.0gr and 7.3gr with Berry's 115gr. Both shot fine. I don't know about the heavier recoil gun but it wouldn't hurt to try it. I have also loaded Berry's 115gr with both powder with the cast bullet data and had no problems with my gun cycling. I would change the spring in the G26 so you could shoot the same rounds in both guns. It sounds like you would have to change to jacketed bullets and different powder for the G26 to function right with the heavier recoil. Just an FYI, in my book ( Speer's reloading manual #13 ) the 231 data for 115gr is 4.5gr to 5.0gr max being 1133fps. Hope this helps.
Old October 11, 2006, 04:59 PM   #3
MADISON

Uni-Flow on top a LEE POWDER THROUGH THE EXPANDER

The simpliest way to solve your problem is to spend the $25 for a LEE Disk Powder measure.
Old October 12, 2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Nephilim-777

or $30 dollars on the Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure.
Old October 12, 2006, 07:58 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I have the pro auto disk with the charge bar and it throws great. Very easy to adjust.
Old October 13, 2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Alakar

Quote:
Is it possible to mount an RCBS Uniflow powder measure on top of a Lee powder through expander pistol die? Does someone make a thread adaptor for that?
I've rigged up something just like that. I use it with a single stage Lee press though.

I used the flat mounting plate that came with the Uniflow. Threaded a 12(?) inch piece of 1/2 inch black gas line pipe into it (The threads match), and added a jam nut on top of it to tighten it up. I then mounted it to my bench using a floor passthrough gas line plate from Home Depot. The plate is round, and mounts to my bench with screws. I also drilled a recess into the bench where the pipe comes through the plate for stablility. I mounted the Uniflow on the unthreaded end of the plate with jam nuts above and below. It sits about 3 inch's above the Powder Through Expander die, which lets me use the funnel in the die. With the funnel, there is no need for a perfect line up.

It works well and isn't hard to put together.
Old October 14, 2006, 05:00 AM   #7
silicon wolverine

I use a lee perfect powder measure on top of the die. I use a single stage turret press so you can just leave it there and rotate around as you need to. It works just as good as a auto disk and its cheaper. to mount it you just unscrew the fitting on the bottom and push it into teh die. perfect fit.

SW
Old October 19, 2006, 04:32 PM   #8
taybri

9mm powder?

As I mentioned, I started using w231 when I began loading 9mm because I already had it on hand. Is there a better powder for 9mm, a favorite, or something that will give me a better range of performance options when loading for my easy going glock 17 and my stiff glock 26?
Old October 19, 2006, 06:25 PM   #9
silicon wolverine

i load with blue dot or red dot. either one is a good choice depending upon bullet choice.

SW
Old October 20, 2006, 12:40 PM   #10
taybri

Which powder?

Thanks for the answer. I load a 115 grain plated rn bullet. Which dot would you prefer, blue or red.
Old October 20, 2006, 02:25 PM   #11
Nephilim-777

Quote:
Is there a better powder for 9mm, a favorite, or something that will give me a better range of performance options when loading for my easy going glock 17 and my stiff glock 26?
People seem to be raving about Power Pistol. I attempted to get some, but my local vendor didn’t have any in stock. I am currently using Titegroup, but I am shooting jacketed bullets only. Some people seem to have leading problems with Titegroup under cast bullets because its a hot powder.