The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
aerod1

Eight shot revolvers

What are the choices in the eight shot revolvers? Brands and models?

Thanks,

Jim
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old October 18, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
ITEOTWAWKI

I had some gun rag recently that had a great big spread on some new S&W .357 snub with a two tone 8 round cylinder. Seemed pretty interesting but a thousand dollars on a .357 snub is just wrong, no matter how much money you like to burn.

I'd say settle for 7 rounds and get a Taurus. This'll be the next snubbie I ever buy, If I can find one.
Taurus 617
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
Old October 18, 2006, 09:08 PM   #3
eagle45

Taurus also makes the model 608, 8 shot in .357. I believe the barrel options are 4" and 8 3/8". I owned one with the longer barrel for awhile. You'd think the trigger pull would be very short, but it isn't.

The 617 is nice too if you're looking for a snubby. I don't like the grips on the 617 as much as my other snubbies, but that's my only complaint.
Old October 18, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
SGHOTH

Smith and Wesson 327 and 627.
Old October 18, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5
AmesJainchill

Taurus also makes an eight-shot .22 Magnum and .22 LR.
There's also some older eight and nine shot .22 LR revolvers around--OOH, and S&W has a TEN shot .22 LR revolver.
Old October 19, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6
croyance

A thousand dollars on a snub is just wrong? People spend more on Commander and Officer's 1911's which fill the same niche.

The S&W Perfomance Center has nice variations on the 327 and 627.
Old October 19, 2006, 02:13 AM   #7
ITEOTWAWKI

I'm sorry but I feel that a $1,000 1911 to be something worth far more on any scale than a $1,000 snubby. Just my humble opinion.
Old October 19, 2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a Taurus stainless 4" 22 mag 8 shot revolver ( 4-5 years old now )... it's been a great gun, & is now regulated as the wifes bed room gun... the only negitive I can say, is that I haven't found any speed loaders for the 8 shot 22 mag...

BTW... I think Taurus also offers the 17 HMR in an 8 shot revolver as well...
Old October 19, 2006, 02:22 PM   #9
djturnz

The taurus 608 also comes in 6" and I thik they are all ported.
Old October 19, 2006, 03:01 PM   #10
FS2K

ITEOTWAWKI & croyance

I agree with you guys on the $1000.00 Snub nose issue, it is a bit steep, but I take it that you guys don't shoot revolvers much?

I can see how a revolver fan could spend a Thousand dollars on a good revolver. If you are used to shooting semi-auto's the first thing you'll notice when shooting a high end revolver is the trigger. Man...a good revolver triggers break is seriously like glass, smooth...crisp, man you can't even hardly feel it. Like a customized 1911 trigger, except some revolvers come right out of the box like that. It's amazing...at least I think so.

Then there's the grip, different but comfortable and natural to have your thumb bent down like that. LOL!

Revolvers are different animals for sure, but they have a LOT of features a Semi-Auto shooter can really appreciate.
Old October 19, 2006, 07:48 PM   #11
pumpkinheaver

My bud has a taurus 608. It's a pretty good gun I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Old October 19, 2006, 10:53 PM   #12
bigghoss

the only drawback to an 8 shot .357 (aside from the size but that's not a big issue) is that there is only one speed loader availible and they're jusnk I've heard so the other fast-reload option is full moon clips wich cost about $80 bucks to have the cylinder cut to accept them last I checked. unless you drop $1200 on the S&W 327 TRR8 (the one with the gay tac rails) so if you care about that now you know. personally I like the 7-shot taurus tracker to the 608 overall.
Old October 20, 2006, 12:17 AM   #13
croyance

FS2K, I never said a $1K revolver - snubby or not - was wrong. I pointed out that people will spend $1K and up on a 1911. Quite a few are $2K, $2500, or more.
For what? At the end of the day you are getting a gun that has been tuned to be as accurate as the revolvers out of the '50s - straight out of the box. A trigger that hopes to be as smooth and crisp as many untuned revolvers I've handled. Those old guns were reliable too. Five hundred round break-ins and they still might need to be sent back becaue they are touchy? Certainly not the revolver.

One of my favorite guns is a S&W 19-3. One of my carry guns is a 1911.
Old October 20, 2006, 12:45 AM   #14
AzShooter

8 shot

My money is on the Smith & Wesson 627. I've had three and they all have done the job I wanted them to do. Had a few friends try the Taurus for competition but they don't seem to hold up very well. They may be o.k for casual use but not 200 - 300 rounds a week.
Old October 20, 2006, 09:38 AM   #15
MR.G

I have a 8 shot S&W 627 Performance Center with a 3" barrel and removable compensator. The gun has a lot of PC upgrades that would probably cost a thousand dollars to have done to a standard model. It is a nice gun and probably worth 1k, if you wanted all the things that have been done to it. I never pay a thousand dollars for a gun, and only bought it because I got it for a good price. A S&W 686 Plus, with an action job, is the most I will ever need.
Old October 21, 2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Mad Martigan

I've got a Taurus 608, bright stainless with a 4in barrel. I love the thing. It's big and heavy. .357s feel just fine. .38s feel like .22s.
Marlin 336(.30-30, .35), 1895 .450, Model 60SS
Old October 22, 2006, 05:40 AM   #17
MilitantBob

I have one of the few 8-shot revolver options, the Taurus 608:

It is massive, bad for CCW, but it makes shooting full power mags a proverbial walk in the park. It has proven to be very accurate in SA, but I'm still mastering the DA trigger (my fault, not the guns.)

One bad thing about the 608 (and from what I've read, many Taurus revolvers) is that it seized up the first couple of times at the range. The gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder seems to be to tight, and the powder gunk keeps it from cycling.

It hasn't been a problem for quite some time now, even after firing 100+ rounds of ammo in one sitting without cleaning, so I guess everything has worn in properly and the problem took care of itself.

I'm sure the S&W is a damn fine piece of work, but the role my 608 currently fills just isn't worth that much money to me. Besides, after thoroughly experiencing the 608, I can't imagine how much better the S&W could be. Certainly not $600+ better.

Either way, it’s your buck, do what makes you feel good.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Old October 23, 2006, 09:43 AM   #18
Harry Paget Flashman

Got it covered. Iver Johnson Sealed 8.
Old October 24, 2006, 03:16 PM   #19
Ronny

Quote:
One bad thing about the 608 (and from what I've read, many Taurus revolvers) is that it seized up the first couple of times at the range. The gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder seems to be to tight, and the powder gunk keeps it from cycling.
Only if you don't wipe down the residue from the front of the cylinder every 50 rounds or so. A tight gap between the forcing cone and cylinders is good (I believe .002 or so is ideal IIRC), you lose less velocity from escaping gas, but you have to watch it or it will bind from the gunk.
Old December 18, 2006, 06:47 PM   #20
Blackflag

To all you "Taurus" guys... does it bother you that you're buying a foreign gun? How about supporting the American company? It seems like people won't be happy until they're all out of business.

And, no, $1000 is not that unreasonable for a Performance Center revolver that will last your lifetime. It's better than sending $500 overseas for something that will need repair in a few years.
Old December 18, 2006, 09:47 PM   #21
croyance

It isn't about putting people out of buisness, though that may be a consequence. People will always want a bargain for the price and are willing to reach it in different ways.

Taurus and S&W do not compete entirely for the same customers, the price difference will see to that.
Like S&W, Taurus has a lifetime warrenty. The truth is, for the great majority of guns, that the lifetime wear will not destroy it. Volume just isn't enough.

This isn't about protectionism, nor do we live in a closed market. We are a capitalist society, this is part of the base assumption of America along with being a Democratic Republic.

Argueably much that went wrong with American industry was from the attitude that people would always buy American, so quality went down. Look at the automobile industry since the '70s. The arrogance of limited choices lead to a decline.
Ask some people and they will say that the S&W product is not the quality it once was. Similarly some will say that Taurus has improved from its beginnings.

This comes from a S&W owner who, having tried a used Taurus revolver, will stick with only S&W (and Colts).
Old December 18, 2006, 10:11 PM   #22
threefivesevenmag

Several guys in my IDPA club shoot revolvers at our matches. They switch between Smith & Wesson 625s and 627s.

It's almost beautiful watching them shoot. The 8 shot moon clips are extremely fast, and with them...faster than most change a magazine in an auto. To most who use 1911s, they are only down a round given 8 shot magazines.

Revolver triggers that are smooth are amazing. My 686 was tuned and I cannot describe how great a pull it has.

It is difficult to beat a tuned 8 shot 627. Guns are an investment and you usually get what you pay for.
Old December 18, 2006, 10:24 PM   #23
Recon7

the smith and wesson model 327 TRR8 $1,264 before the optics and light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trr8.jpg (9.0 KB, 15418 views)
Old December 18, 2006, 11:40 PM   #24
SnWnMe

Actually, it "only" costs $900+. That price on the website is MSRP (which no one pays)
Old December 18, 2006, 11:42 PM   #25
SnWnMe

Quote:
the only drawback to an 8 shot .357 (aside from the size but that's not a big issue) is that there is only one speed loader availible and they're jusnk I've heard so the other fast-reload option is full moon clips wich cost about $80 bucks to have the cylinder cut to accept them last I checked.
All of Smith's 8 shot 357s come cut for moonclips already (except maybe the very early 1990s models).