The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1
hjdca

New Colt Custom Shop Single Action Army Review with Pics

Hello, I just bought a Colt SAA from the custom shop. I also went through the process of evaluating all the clones. I also read about Colt bad quality and the great USFA guns. I talked to some Colt people about these new custom shop Colt SAAs and everyone had good things to say. I decided to take a chance and get a Colt. I settled on a 4-3/4 inch nickel plated, one piece ivory handle, serial number S42xxxA. I am ecstatic to say that it is a super quality piece. Super smooth action, perfect timing, excellent tolerances, perfect endgap (.006). Excellent trigger, no creep. Cylinder Throats measured somewhere between .452 and .4525. My measurement system was not accurate enough to tell me more. As you can see perfect cylinder throats. I did not slug the barrel, but, measured it with my caliper and it came out around .451 at its widest part (inside the lands). The plating job is excellent. I already shot about 450 rounds through it and the plating looks great. I use metal polish to keep it looking like a mirror. The new cylinder bushing feels like it has been carefully lapped into the cylinder. Also the base pin feels like it has been lapped in. I mean an absolutely perfect fit.

My only complaint is the main spring and trigger spring. They are too strong. I installed a Wolffe spring kit with a wire trigger spring and the gun is unbelievable now. A little kid could pull the hammer back and the action is so smooth that you cannot stop playing with it. Nothing beats the original Colt action without all those safety features that the clone guns have. The primer hits look exactly the same as with the stronger main spring. The trigger is also perfect. Feels just around 3 lbs. Inside the gun the moving parts looked polished and smooth. The inside of the frame also looked smooth.
As far as accuracy, "forgetaboutit". I have not benchrested it, but, it shoots perfect point of aim. Offhand I was getting much better groupings and metal hits compared my P13-45.
Quality wise, it seems to me do not be afraid to get a new Colt, however, this one was about $300 or $400 more than a comparatively equiped USFA model. Ivory handle guns from the custom shop are very high price, but, I could not resist these ivory handles with the colt medallions.

Here are some pics. You can see the removable cylinder bushing, forcing cone and the start of the rifling in the barrel.

Caveat: This was an expensive gun. It could be that they took some extra care with it since they had to fit the one piece ivory handles. I do not know if the standard case hardened, rubber handled Custom Shop Colts for $1300 are the same. I would imagine they are, but... . Anyone have any input on the standard Colt from the custom shop?

Last edited by hjdca; October 18, 2006 at 06:27 PM.