The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1
sdtuna

First shot goes high

Rifle - 25-06 Ruger #1
Tigger and action accuritize and bedded
117gr sierra bt
hand weigh powder
consistent shell lenght mic each shell
checked scope mounts

first shot goes 6 to 8 inches high
then drops to my 3" high sight in with moa of .5

any thoughts why it throws the first shot so bad?
Old October 13, 2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Rimrod

What kind of rest do you use? Sandbags, bi-pod, etc.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
hoghunting

Is that the first shot out of a clean barrel? If it is, it could be oil or solvent in the barrel.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Shoney

If it is the fouling shot in a clean barrel, that may be the problem. However, Rugers are notorious for having a drunken monkey occasionally break into their factory and go absolutely ape with the air torque ratchet on their lug screws. Improper heavy screw torque can cause the problem you describe. Loosen, then gently, but firmly retighten the front lug screw. If this does not improve the problem, read
http://groups.msn.com/VarmintHunting...71600288923594
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 14, 2006, 11:32 PM   #5
sdtuna

Clean barrel

Yes, the first has been a fouling shot...

sand bags fore and aft off a solid bench

Thanks for the tighten of the front lug screw comment. I will back it off and firmly refasten. That might be where the hidden crazy monkey is lurking.

It's so funny that the first one goes high and the next two shots are kissing each other.

Good article will try that if the screw adjustment doesn't solve the problem

I have a 22-250 Ruger # 1 that shots as sweet as a krispy cream hot out of the oven.

Last edited by sdtuna; October 14, 2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added and corrected
Old October 15, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Ifishsum

I own two rifles that do the same thing - 6" high and 2" right from a perfectly clean barrel. It's perfectly normal to take a fouling shot or two before you start measuring groups. If you hunt with it, be sure to put a couple of rounds down the pipe before, and don't clean it until after hunting season.
Old October 15, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Ammo Junky

fouling shot

About 1/2 my rifles throw the fouling shot out of the group about 1/2 dont. It pays to know your gun and load. Of the guns that need the fouling shot,most thow the first shot off about 1moa. One .223 throws the first shot 6" low at 100yd. Agian,it pays to know your equipment and how it behaves. My 3006 will shoot the first cold clean shot into the same group as the 10th hot dirty shot. The fact it is a 2moa gun may help cover some of the first shot blues, but it chronos the same too. . I have seen some evidence that the type of oil / solvent left in the bore makes a difference too. Ie. rem oil vs mobil 1. I have become a big m1 user and never looked back.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old October 15, 2006, 04:59 PM   #8
sdtuna

Thanks for the info

I just backed off the screw

I also checked the amount of space between my hanger and the barrel. There is plenty of clearence so there should be no barrel pressure from the hanger. It's close to a nickel thickness of clearence.

I rechecked my free float and its all the way back to the bedding.

I will heat up the barrel with a fouling shot before I shot at my antelope next weekend in Wyoming.

Thanks again

Last edited by sdtuna; October 15, 2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling