The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Soldatlamour

Ithaca SKB 200-E

My first post ! First - thank you ALL for the information found within this forum. Because of the fantastic advice from y'all, the two guns I've chosen have been wonderful.

I'm in the market for a SxS shotgun. I'm hearing/reading good things about the 200-E. There's a dealer in town that has one for $695. It's obvious that I'm a novice, but it appears that the shotgun is in very good shape. Is $695 a fair price.

Thank you,
ms
Old October 1, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
skeeter1

I have an Ithaca/SKB 200E, for 30-odd years now, and it's been a dandy shotgun. Take a look on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. The last time I looked they were going for the northside of $1K. Grab it while you can. I've put thousands of rounds through mine at the trap range, and it still locks up as firmly as the day I got it.

Good luck!
Old October 1, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Soldatlamour

Skeeter,

Thanks ! I had looked at gunbroker.com for some comps, and you're right - most prices were north of $1k. I just wanted someone's opinion as to the functionality of the gun. I don't have / won't have a gun case in my house, so I was hoping to find out if this is a "looker" or a "shooter."

I love this forum ! Again, thanks, ms
Old October 1, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
skeeter1

ms--

My Ithaca/SKB 200E is both a shooter and a looker, but not a "safe queen." Fine walnut stocks, engraved and silver-plated receiver, gold-plated trigger, black-chromed barrels. What's not to like?

FWIW, I've also got an Ithaca/SKB model 100, not nearly as fancy, but it was used to taking down ducks, geese, and pheasants. Again, 100% reliable.

Like the Nike ad says, "Go for it.!"

Skeeter1
Old October 2, 2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Soldatlamour

Skeeter1 -

I bought the shotgun during lunch today ! Drive-out price of $700.00. I'll take it to the skeet range this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help,
ms
Old October 2, 2006, 03:20 PM   #6
skeeter1

ms--

Good catch!!!

In the unlikely event you don't like it, you can always list it on gunbroker and probably get somewhere near twice your money back. I doubt, however, after you shoot it that you're going to want to give it up.

--Skeeter1
Old October 24, 2006, 09:37 PM   #7
Pheasantsforever

Itacha SKB 200-E 3inch

I bought a 200e from a guy two years ago for 600 canadian, which is like 400 US. I love the gun, it does a great job on pheasants. When I bought the gun it still had packing wax in the works and it was only fired a couple of times according to the guy. He bought it for his wife just before she decided to stop hunting upland. Lucky find for me....
I have a question about the barrel lenghts? When measured from edge of steel to edge of steel the barrel measures 24.75 inches. I didn't think that they made a 24 inch barrel, because a 26 or 28 inch is more common. Any comments as to the odd length on this gun??

Last edited by Pheasantsforever; October 24, 2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add a comment
Old October 25, 2006, 01:40 AM   #8
skeeter1

I didn't know if they ever made a 24.75" barrel. Mine are 26" and 28", and the longer one just barely fits in the gunsafe. Then again, I'm in the US, and maybe they imported different lengths to Canada.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:45 AM   #9
BFBoy

I had a 20 ga Model 280, and it came with 25" barrels. I think the 12 ga came with 26". 28" was also available in both. I believe the 28" was choked mod/full, while the 25/26" was IC/Mod.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
thehighlifeman

cracked forearm

In the middle of a hunt w/my Ithaca the forearm cracked the length of the forearm stock.
Does anyone know if this was common or where to find a replacement ?
Could the recoil from todays faster 12 ga shells have caused this or just dry wood ? I never had a SxS before so this was a new one on me.

Thanks
Thehighlifeman
Old November 23, 2008, 10:09 PM   #11
jdscholer

Ouch! Bummer about your forestock. Replacement might be tough. Careful repair job? You've got the engraving to contend with.
My 200-E is a 20ga. 3", with 28", mod & full. I love it, but it shoots kinda tight for what I use it for. I'm thinking about spending the $ to have it opened up, or even shortened and chokes installed.
This little gun fits me like a gl-- really good fittin shotgun, and, and to beat all it was a gift.
I don't really have a desire to shoot 3 inchers in it, but I might someday for pheasants.
I've only put a couple hundred shells through mine, and functioning has been perfect. It's almost too new and tight. I can only hope to have good luck like skeeter1.
Love hearing from others with the same gun. Doesn't seem to be that many of us. jd
Old November 23, 2008, 11:56 PM   #12
skeeter1

Quote:
"Love hearing from others with the same gun. Doesn't seem to be that many of us. jd"
Well, in general, side-by-side doubles just aren't all that popular, and the better ones (i.e., non-coach guns) are somewhat-to-very expensive. I just like them best, and 25/25 and 96/100 at the trap range, proves that if you do your part, they'll do their part. I'm guessing my 200E has had 20K+ rounds through it.

My brother and I went duck hunting a couple of times, he a LEO with a pump, and me with the SKB, and guess who came home with the birds? After 30-some years of shooting SxS, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Regarding trying to open up the chokes, I'd advise against it. The SKBs have hard-chromed bores, and grinding them out would damage them. Just IMHO.
Old November 24, 2008, 12:08 AM   #13
olddrum1

I just saw several, 3, 200-es for sale right at the 600 mark which I believe to be the going price. Not a great deal to write home about but not an overall bad price. I have one in 12 and have used it as a hunting gun for years. I have had no problems out of it and it functions well. I do not put a lot of faith in the gunbroker prices and do not use them as a guide. My twenty is what I like to walk the farm with. Had it at least ten years and only shot one quail with it.
Old November 24, 2008, 12:34 AM   #14
jdscholer

Quote:
Regarding trying to open up the chokes, I'd advise against it. The SKBs have hardomed bores, and grinding them out would damage them. Just IMHO.
I've been wondering about that. Thought I'd get ahold of Briley and see what they say. It's not the end of the world if they can't help me, but it would be nice. Thanks for the comeback skeeter1. jd