The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 28, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1
john1911

Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum

Does any body have any experience with this revolver? I've decided my next purchase will be a .41 mag Blackhawk. I'm having trouble deciding between the 4 5/8" bbl and the 6 1/2" bbl. Any advantages to one over the other? Is one more accurate? Is much velocity lost in the shorter bbl?
I intend to use it for hunting deer and plinking. I'm leaning towards the 4 5/8" bbl. Is this the best for the intended purpose?
Thanks,
John
Old September 28, 2006, 05:14 PM   #2
steveno

I have had both barrel lngths and still have the 6 1/2 inch barrel. I had a superblackhawk grip frame put on it along with a clark rear sight and a superblackhawk hammer. first thing to do is get rid of the wood grips and put pachmayr grips on it.
Old September 28, 2006, 05:32 PM   #3
MADISON

Blackhawk in .41 Magunm

Since the .41 Magnum came out I have had at least 6 Blackhawks in 4 5/8 inch barrels. They were/are excellent guns.
Old September 28, 2006, 05:53 PM   #4
rem33

I have owned a new model and still have a older three screw blackhawk. I did about the opposite as Steveno. His sounds nice but for me I like the smaller frame of the 3 screw ( same frame as the 357) also installed a Single-Six hammer. It is smaller much easier to use for me. The 41 is a excellent round, light enough for casual plinking, to a pretty good hunter round with hotter loads. accuracy should be good, for carry the 4 5/8's is good, but for targets and hunting the longer barrel is what I prefer.
Old September 28, 2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Majic

If you are going to hunt then the longer barrel will give you a better sight radius and increased velocity. The shorter barrel will just allow carrying to be easier. I have several Bisleys in .41 and use the 7 1/2 inchers for hunting.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Rimrod

Make sure the 4 5/8 is legal to hunt with, if your not already. I had a 4 5/8 .41 when Ohio first allowed handguns but the minimun legal barrel length was 5".
Old September 28, 2006, 07:11 PM   #7
tulsamal

Exactly what Majic just said. I tend to prefer the 4 5/8ths barrel for this gun but that's because I see it as a great gun for general woods carry. Enough gun to do whatever you want to do with the appropriate reloaded ammo. (If only Ruger had ever made it in stainless steel! Going to get one brushed chromed by APW one of these days.)

If I wanted one to shoot at targets on the range, I would go longer barrel. If I wanted to carry it around in the woods for hours at a time, I would go shorter.

Gregg
Old September 28, 2006, 10:00 PM   #8
papadave

.41 blackhawk

I have a .41 with and the first time at the range it was not fun. Put a Hogue mono-grip on it and tamed the beast down. The 6 1/2 in is nice for White tails. Where I hunt some of the shots are 20 to 30 yards so a pistol is just the thing. Also the last 2 years we had to earn a buck so the pistol worked nice the get the antlerless dear first. Go with the 6 1/2 as I have no regrets about mine.
Old September 28, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9
john1911

Thanks for the input.
The minimum length in IL is 4".
I'm wanting it to carry when I'm hunting with my muzzleloader. A couple quick follow-up shots if needed. When I hunt solely with a handgun, I use my .44 Contender. I guess I'm wanting a compact, easy to carry revolver.
Does the shorter barrel give up much in the accuracy area?
John
Old October 1, 2006, 02:33 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Ruger .41

Had one of the three screw 4 5/8" back in 1979. Neat gun, but not legal for deer, at the time the state had a 6" minimum. Traded it off, got a .30-30. Whish I had kept that gun.

Longer barrel pistols give higher velocities, and allow (slightly) more precise sighting. For average handgun work, the slight increase of accuracy potential is not a concern. Velocity increase might be, depending on what you are hunting. A more important factor is how well YOU can shoot the gun. Some people can shoot better with one barrel length than the other. For others, it makes no difference.

Also, check carefully, your state laws. Some states will NOT allow you to carry ANY modern firearm afield during muzzle loading season. Others will allow carry for personal protection (against humans) and if you use the modern gun on game (finishing shots) you are breaking game laws.

I know some die hard .41 fans, some of whom make some extravagant claims, mostly about trajectory. Myself, I go from .357 to .44, with no stopping. I am also quite fond of the .45 Colt, my old 7.5" Blackhawk has never let me down. (250gr SWC @1070fps)
Old October 1, 2006, 11:18 AM   #11
pumpkinheaver

I have one that I pack while rifle hunting. Mine has the 4 5/8" bbl. I like this bbl length for hip carry it is just about perfect. If your gonna use heavy loads you might want to think about one of the hogue mono grips that fills in the area between the trigger guard and the grip frame. Mine would beat the hell out of my middle finger with mag loads untill I replaced the wood grips with those.
Old October 1, 2006, 11:25 AM   #12
22-rimfire

I would go with the 6.5" myself. Not as handy, but easier to shoot longer ranges. I would suggest you consider different grips.

"Also, check carefully, your state laws. Some states will NOT allow you to carry ANY modern firearm afield during muzzle loading season. Others will allow carry for personal protection (against humans) and if you use the modern gun on game (finishing shots) you are breaking game laws."

I would add that MOST do not allow you to carry a modern handgun while doing the black powder thing. I personally think that states should open up the black powder deer season to straight walled handgun calibers 357 or larger. Heck, they opened bow season in some states to cross bows??
Old October 1, 2006, 11:28 AM   #13
essexcounty

I bought an old 61/2" three screw that had been carried many a mile by a bear hunter who was a houndsman. Very little blueing left and a problem with the rear sight. I shipped it off to Ruger and it was like new when it was returned to me. I think the 61/2" is the best length for a hunting revolver, but I'll admit that the shorter barrel balances better. The addition of Pachmayer grips changes the comfort level a whole lot....Essex
Old October 6, 2006, 04:47 PM   #14
collector rob

A 6 1/2 inch .41 Blackhawk was the first pistol I ever bought. Well technically my dad bought it on paper. I was 12 years old and mowed lawns all summer to buy it. I paid $212.00 NIB. THat was 26 years ago. I still have it. It is a fun gun to shoot. I replaced the factory grip with a Pachmyer Presentation grip.
Old October 7, 2006, 12:14 PM   #15
hikingman

Stainless 41 Blackhawk

TulsaMal wrote: If only Ruger had ever made it in stainless steel!

They made the 41 Blackhawk in SS for about a year (1974), according to my research. What a rarity!

Hikingman
Old October 6, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
WOpp

41 mag

Bought my 41 mag blackhawk new for $96. Trapped beaver for the money some time ago. Mine is the 61/2" barrel still shoots as good as any new gun, Traded it off on a Colt one time, shot it a few times that day , laid awake all night hoping my 41 was not sold when I got back the next day to the store, Traded for my 41 back.. Some day you may pry it from my cold dead hand.. What an awesome hand gun.
Old October 7, 2009, 12:47 AM   #17
Prince55

WOpp Welcome here.
I have a Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2 200th Anniversary & a 4 5/8 - 3 screw
WOpp --- You said it ALL---What an AWESOME Handgun !!!
You give up very little in velocity with the 4 5/8 and sometimes none,
depending on the chambers.
Accuracy with them is just superb with handloads & Powerful.
I like the Dardas cast bullets & also the 250-265 WFN cast bullets.
Old October 7, 2009, 05:25 AM   #18
sbtool

My 6-1/2" Blackhawk was my 1st 'big bore' handgun, if you can call it that. It's still the sweetest shooting pistol I own! (I gotta be careful here - my Gold Cup gets jealous....)
The .41 mag is a great all around gun - you'll love it!
Old October 8, 2009, 07:01 PM   #19
Bart Noir

I would not have even bought a .41 if my best friend were not a very experienced handloader who seriously likes .41 Magnums. Factory loads exist but are seldom seen and cost much.

Bart Noir
Old October 8, 2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Bart Noir

Quote:
Some states will NOT allow you to carry ANY modern firearm afield during muzzle loading season.
I see a money maker here for me:
  • Buy a bunch of
  • Italian repros of the Remington .44 cap & ball sixguns, some with the 4-inch barrels.
  • Get them hard chromed.
  • Find a catchy marketing name.
  • Sell to muzzleloader hunters.
I'll make a mint!

Bart Noir
Who thinks maybe "Put-Down" might be the name. Would use "Plan B" but that is the name of a custom knife.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:11 PM   #21
GeauxTide

Get the 4.66

I've owned several 41s over the years, and it is less affected by shorter barrels than any other I've loaded. The Hogue grips really help with recoil. After many years hunting with a 7.5" SBH hanging on my hip, I want no more than 5.5" in a woods pistol. My current 41s are a 4" 657 and a 7.5" Bisley. You will LOVE the 41.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:54 PM   #22
CraigC

Quote:
I like the smaller frame of the 3 screw ( same frame as the 357)
This is incorrect, the .41Mag has always been built on the large .44-sized frame. Only the .357 (and now the .44Spl) was built on the medium frame.
Old October 9, 2009, 12:01 AM   #23
dahermit

Quote:
Does any body have any experience with this revolver? I've decided my next purchase will be a .41 mag Blackhawk. I'm having trouble deciding between the 4 5/8" bbl and the 6 1/2" bbl. Any advantages to one over the other? Is one more accurate? Is much velocity lost in the shorter bbl?
I intend to use it for hunting deer and plinking. I'm leaning towards the 4 5/8" bbl. Is this the best for the intended purpose?
The 4 5/8 is better for carrying, looking at, and for fun. It you are going to hunt, the 6 1/2 barrel is easyer to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radious and more weight forward.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:46 PM   #24
rogerxvr

I'm glad i found one at my gun shop got a heck of a deal on a ruger nm blackhawk in 41cal for 275.00 its on layaway..
Old October 25, 2009, 08:23 PM   #25
22-rimfire

Almost missed the thread dates... both October; but 2006 and recent responses in 2009. Hope everyone is happy!

I don't believe I owned a Black Hawk in 41 mag in 2006, now I do too.