The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 28, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
FS2K

I want to learn some stuff...from YOU.

From reading the posts here I have realized the value of opposing opinions and different training methods. It's cool, because I get to hear reasoning behind certain things that other people do, and I don't.

There are a lot of different ideaologies about training and tactics here, and I kinda came to realize that keeping an open mind about stuff can really be a benefit.

I mentioned that I practice point shooting. I was then informed that I am part of a minority on this. LOL! It's ok...but it got me to thinking that maybe I have been doing something wrong all this time. To tell you the truth, it bummed me out a little, and then I really thought about it and came to the conclusion that what I do really doesn't matter as long as it works for me. I went out and tried focusing on the front sight in relation to the target but I suppose old habits are hard to break as I resorted into shooting like I normally do before the first magazine ran out.

I came to a conclusion. Training and practice engrain actions into your mind and no matter what you may try in practice, unless you condition yourself to do it, you will always resort back to what you 'know'...especially in a high stress situation. Bad habits or good, right or wrong you will always fall back on instinct.

When learning to incooperate new stuff I always remember the motto:

"Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast".

Everytime I get a new weapon, I go through a familiarizing period. That's pretty much one of the biggest reasons I still carry a G26 when working late instead of my new XD45. I know, it's just another gun, but I regard familiarity one of the most important things, and until the XD45 ceases to be "the New Gun" I refuse to rely on it.

I know that statistically the chances of me getting into trouble are slim, extremely slim though I like to be prepared for anything. I questioned myself as to WHY I had this need to be prepared once. I've concluded that I am not obsessive about it, just conditioned to do it. I'm not afraid to die, (long story but I don't) and it isn't a macho thing with me either. I have nothing to proove to anyone. I figured what it is, is I can't stand the idea of being a victim. I refuse to allow myself to get into a situation in which I don't have a fighting chance to survive. Maybe 'survive' is the wrong word. It's not really about my survival at all, cause I know that when my number is up there's nothing I can do to change that. It isn't even about the other guy or guys involved cuz I doubt I will know them. It's the idea of some punk getting the upper hand on me, and the fact that IF it were to happen and I was not prepared ALL of the blame falls on me. LOL!

Silly, I know.

I have learned alot from reading the posts here. I don't agree with everything I read, and I will always regard experience more valuable that repeated statistics and reports. But this forum does allow me to think about alot of things and how these new thoughts or theories could be incooperated into my own "style". I will call it style because it's basically what it is. I don't believe any one system to be the absolute end all truth, nor do I aspire to become a carbon copy of any instructure out there. I take what I can use and blend it with what I know, and in the end what remains is a personal style.

Anyhow, keep up the great posts people, I thank you for all of the thought provoking information. I'll continue reading and learning from you all.
Old September 28, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
springmom

Quote:
There are a lot of different ideaologies about training and tactics here, and I kinda came to realize that keeping an open mind about stuff can really be a benefit.
Can we clone you and spread you around on all the forums? Please?

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 28, 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
tydephan

FS,

You're as much a testament to the success of TFL as PAX, Springmom or any of the rest of the members that always seem to make perfect sense.

While I don't want to turn this into a warm and fuzzy session, I will say that your posts, with special emphasis on product reviews, are generally about as detailed and informative as could be imagined for a volunteer.

Participating in any discussion requires an individual to be open-minded. This enables both sides to fully push the limits of the discussion. There are a lot of people that refuse to acknowledge there are two sides and a middleground to every debate. But there's also a lot of people that sincerely want to help others learn.

Movie Quote "You gotta harness in the good energy and block out the bad. Harness good. Block bad." (bonus points available if you know the movie.)

As always, thanks for your time.
Old September 28, 2006, 02:45 PM   #4
FS2K

Well thanks People!

I just want to point out that I made this post to thank those who have took the time out to post very good information. I did NOT post this to draw attention to myself or anything like that.

I do appreciate the comment though thanks.

I like guns. I like learning more about them. And most of all, I like shooting them. If taking a few minutes to type out my view point on stuff helps someone out in any way? Then it was worth it.

Oh and by the way: I LOVED HAPPY GILMORE!!!!!
Old September 28, 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
tydephan

Ding Ding Ding!

Great movie.

Your review on the AR optics certainly helped me with my purchase. I could have done it on my own, but I wouldn't have felt nearly as comfortable.

I've also enjoyed reading your thoughts on the FN FS2000 and of course the Glock 26.
Old September 28, 2006, 06:34 PM   #6
FS2K

Cool

Those are some of my FAVORITE guns! It's no problem for me to talk about stuff I like.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:15 PM   #7
tony pasley

" I can find no fault in your logic"
Old September 29, 2006, 09:51 PM   #8
snolden

you are on the right road. A good quote to remember:

If all you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail.

So, make your toolbox bigger. Learn a little unarmed combat, a little knife technique, a little OC spray technique, practice some front sight press and two handed full sight picture shooting.

Every problem will be unique. For me, I say if I can smell the guy I will point shoot. If he is close enough I can read his eyes but not that I can smell him, I will only use the front sight. Any further than that, I plan on running but if cornered I train to use both sights. Train to avoid and move, more than to shoot. Not moving and shooting will get you dead REAL QUICK.

Check out warriortalk.com for some cutting edge training and innovative thinking. For example right now they are trying out appendix carry and doing Force on Force with a lot of movement.

Be careful going from the Glock to the XD. The grip angle is significantly different. You may end up point at the guy with the XD and hitting the ground in front of him because you are used to the grip of the Glock.

Pick one for defense and stick to it. They are both quality guns.
Old September 29, 2006, 11:15 PM   #9
FS2K

Thank you for the advice Snolden.

I will take it.

Like I said, I have learned alot from this site and it is through the advice of people like you I have grown ti like this site very much. Thank you.
Old September 29, 2006, 11:21 PM   #10
Pointer

If you shoot 2" groups at 7-10 yards...

"It's like mind over matter...
If you don't mind...
It don't matter."

Sachel Paige
(Arguably the best baseball pitcher who ever lived.)

30-06 FOREVER

Last edited by Pointer; September 30, 2006 at 08:54 AM. Reason: edited the group size