The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How many .22 misfires per hundred?
Rarely if ever 51 68.92%
1-2 per 100 14 18.92%
3-5 per 100 7 9.46%
more than 5 per 100 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Grimesinma

Rimfire ammo poll...how many misfires per 100

Now that I've gotten back into .22 competition, I am amazed at the number of misfires I've encountered (by misfire, I mean the failure of a round of ammunition to fire after the initiating action). I am not alone in this observation. Talking to the guys that I shoot with, most of them have had problems with certain ammo manufacturers in certain guns. So, why so many misfires? In my youth, I can't remember a single misfire out of many thousands of rounds fired.

For the record, my most recent problems have come with using Remington 22 Target in a Ruger Mark III.
Old September 28, 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Venison_Jerkey32

Using the 500 pack remington .22's I for sure get one every box, I would say around 3 per box.
Old September 28, 2006, 11:40 AM   #3
gb_in_ga

From what I can tell, it has to do with what sort of ammo you are using. Not all .22s are equally reliable, ignition-wise. For that matter, I've found that it can vary widely even within the same brand. I've had some bricks of Remington ammo that have given me multiple failures per magazine, I have had some seemingly identical bricks (even bought at the same time) that have not had any problems at all. From what I can tell, the higher priced stuff seems to be MUCH more reliable, and I'm not talking all that much more expensive, either -- like, say, CCI MiniMags. You get what you pay for. I figure that if I'm just practice/plinking, the cheap stuff will do but I've just got to expect some bad rounds. For more serious work, I shell out for better ammo.

As for why the reliability of .22 rimfire ammo has apparently gone down, I really can't answer, other than we may have a case of mass production and the striving for low costs making for poorer quality.

Keep in mind also that .22 lr has never been all that reliable. As an example, that is part of the reason why the .25 ACP round came to be -- the .25 was intentionally made a center fire round for more reliable ignition. That and for more reliable feeding.
Old September 28, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
hksigwalther

The question is a bit vague. Which ammo are you specifying? I've not had any problems at all with higher grade ammo (~$3.00/box and higher), but the ammo I use is Wolf, SK, Lapua, Eley, and old Fed 900 and UM1.

I have had numerous problems with Rem Thunderbolts and on rare occasions FTIs (Failure To Ignite, good solid firing pin indentation) with old Win Wildcat and Fed Lightning (rare = ~1 FTI/4 bricks or less (more than 4 bricks)).
Old September 28, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got well over 100,000 rounds of rimfire ammo under my belt.

To date, I've had perhaps a dozen dead cartridges.

In the past couple of years I'm through nearly 3,000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat without a single dud.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 28, 2006, 12:51 PM   #6
mtnbkr

In the past 1000 rounds of Winchester Dynapoints to go through my customized 10/22, I haven't had a single misfire. The biggest reason is probably that I had the bolt headspaced, which helps ensure proper firing pin impact. I haven't had any misfires with any other quality ammo either, but I did have some problems with either Federal or Remington bulkpack stuff, but even then it was on the order of 1/100 or less (and before the gun was headspaced).

I think most ignition problems are due to faulty guns.

Chris
Old September 28, 2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Grimesinma

Quote:
I think most ignition problems are due to faulty guns.
Could be...that's what I am trying to determine. For clarification, I am referring to .22LR standard-velocity ammo that we use for competition. My experience has been with the lower-priced stuff i.e., Remington. I would have believed that it is my gun's fault but last night's discussions at the shooting range has reveiled an across-the-board problem with a lot of different types of ammo in a lot of different types of guns.
Old September 28, 2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Alfa One

With the Remingtons .22 I had a problem every ten shots I did. American Eagle gave me hardly any problems. Now I use Federal Classics (in a different weapon) and I have no problem what so ever after a few thousand shots.

So I stick to those. They seem rather accurate as well and are cheap.
Old September 28, 2006, 01:45 PM   #9
oldbillthundercheif

The lower-priced stuff is the problem. What the heck are you doing using that junk in competition?

Switch over to Lapua Pistol King or any other high-quality ammo and you WILL NOT have this happen again. Ever.
Old September 28, 2006, 04:51 PM   #10
sterno

I shoot lots of .22lr. I've found that the Thunderbolt .22's work pretty much without fail in rifles but I'll get 1 FTF out of 20 round putting them through pistols. I'm not real sure why that is, but I have theorys.

CCI is the only brand I've found to always go bang when it's supposed to - without fail. I guess that's why it costs so much in comparison to other brands..
Old September 28, 2006, 07:01 PM   #11
hoji

With cheap ,bulk, loose pack ammo I have had some failures, with CCI mini mags, none.
The cheap stuff with failures is good for training{ fail to fire clearings} and if just plinking, no big deal. The CCI is much cleaner though.
Old September 28, 2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Abndoc

I use CCI Blazer as my plinking round. It's cheap, reliable, and pretty accurate.
Old September 28, 2006, 09:02 PM   #13
skeeter1

I generally use the cheap stuff, WWB or Green/yellow. I've never had one fail to fire (many thousands of rounds). It might be your gun and not the ammo.
Old October 1, 2006, 11:01 PM   #14
rem33

We've shot several thousand this year mostly cheap stuff ( whatever has been on sale) no miss fires so far that I can remember. Using a dozen or so rifles and pistols of several makes. From a 1923 manufactured Winchester rifle to a new Ruger MKIII Hunter.
Old October 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #15
The Real Wyatt

Depends on the gun

Quite certainly it depends on the gun and ammo.
I have a Thompson Center .22 classic that absolutely despises Remington ammo. It'll jam at least once in every magazine when shooting Remington ammo. Yet the same gun has shot over 30,000 rounds of Federal bulk pack ammo without ever a failure to feed or a failure to extract.

This gun hates Remington but loves Federal. Go figure.
Old October 2, 2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Mal H
Staff

I truthfully answered "Rarely if ever", but I couldn't have done that if I still shot Remington .22's of any variety. I said it before on this and other sites, and I'll probably have to say it again. There's something wrong with Remington's priming process. I have performed post mortems on failed Remington rounds, and found that there was either no primer compound in the shell or there were large voids in the ring of compound.

Back in the "old days" (the 50's and 60's), all I ever shot was tons of the old green box Remingtons. Maybe my memory is failing concerning misfires, but I don't recall having any, certainly not the 2 or 3 per box I've gotten recently (within the last 10 years). Something changed in their process in the '90's or perhaps their .22's are outsourced to a company with lower QC practices.

The only Remingtons I have on my shelf are several boxes of .22 Shorts. It seems Remington is the only readily available source of those, and they don't have the same misfire problem as their LR's. Otherwise I use Winchester Super-X (not X-pert, they're trash), Win. Dynapoints (very good for plinking and target practice), Lapua Multi-Match, Federal value pak and 900 A&B, Eley Match and Tenex.
Old October 2, 2006, 09:08 AM   #17
johnbt

I've never had a dud going all the way back to the '50s.

John
Old October 2, 2006, 09:30 AM   #18
rick_reno

You're either shooting the wrong ammo or the wrong gun - or both. I shot Bullseye (I stopped last year) for almost 20 years and can only remember a couple. Those were with my fathers old High Standard Victor.
Switch ammo - the past 6 years I shot Aguila SV - cheap, Mexican ammo and never had a alibi. You need to find the ammo that works in your gun, it's out there.
Old October 2, 2006, 10:32 AM   #19
dfaugh

Quote:
truthfully answered "Rarely if ever", but I couldn't have done that if I still shot Remington .22's of any variety. I said it before on this and other sites, and I'll probably have to say it again. There's something wrong with Remington's priming process.
Me too...No remington ammo for this kid...besides misfires, its never been accurate in any of the .22s I've tried it in.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 5, 2006, 07:53 AM   #20
Nail Shooter

Mal H is correct--esp in regard to the Rem Golden 22 of late.

When I shot 22's from the 1960's up into the early 1990's, Rem was the only ammo (besides some CCI mini mags) that I ever bought--the gold standard so to speak. I was buying it by the CASE, however, some batches of the newer stuff are just plain terrible. It's kind of stoopid of Rem to make such a nice looking bullet and then not prime it (or in many cases, only about 1/2 way around the rim).

It's not rocket science to figure out why you're getting the misfires w/ the Rem stuff. Pull the bullet, dump out the powder, and observe that the pin struck the rim where the priming compound WASN'T. I've never enountered a Rem dud that lacked powder. Regards,

NS
Old October 5, 2006, 08:22 AM   #21
brj

For my Mark II, cci mini mag fmj.

For my 10/22, cci mini mag hp.

Don't ask me why, they just work. Last time out, 150 rounds through my 10/22 with no problems whatsoever.
Old October 5, 2006, 08:24 AM   #22
Trip20

I use the Remington Golden Bullet with out the horrible results reported by others. It's a great hunting and plinking round in my opinion.

No, I'm not even implying it's a great target/match/competition round.

Have I had a failure to fire or two? Of course. But for the price, I can live with that. It's never resulted in a missed shot opportunity at game, only a reload at the bench while punching paper -- big deal.

It's capable of great accuracy as well. I've got the groups to prove it.
Old October 5, 2006, 09:21 AM   #23
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I said it before on this and other sites, and I'll probably have to say it again. There's something wrong with Remington's priming process. I have performed post mortems on failed Remington rounds, and found that there was either no primer compound in the shell or there were large voids in the ring of compound.
Interesting; thank you. Too bad because cheap Rem subsonics shoot well in a couple of mine.

More and more there's seems to be little reason to buy anything but Wolf Match Target.
Old October 5, 2006, 10:44 AM   #24
dfaugh

Quote:
More and more there's seems to be little reason to buy anything but Wolf Match Target.
Except tthe ^$%^$$% price.

My buddy and I went through every kind of ammo we could find, over a period of several months, used in several (5) different .22s. We even tried some of the REALLY expensive Eley Match ammo. And the Wolf Target Match was the clear winner, for accuracy.

But at a recent gunshow, I went to buy a brick and it was $36.99...Last gunshow I paid 16.99 from the same guy. A quick check on the net and its over $30 a brick everywhere. Sucks.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 5, 2006, 11:57 AM   #25
bclark1

depends on the ammo brand. i pretty much stick with remington stuff now, maybe a couple per hundred will misfire, almost never jams on me. federal stuff, i get more misfires and a hell of a lot more stovepipes and feeding problems.