The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: What would you pay for an FN FS2000?
Under $1000 59 29.21%
$1000 to $1250 51 25.25%
$1250 to $1500 33 16.34%
$1500 to $1750 19 9.41%
$1750 to $2000 24 11.88%
$2000 and up 16 7.92%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24, 2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Half-Price Assassin

FN FS2000 really worth???

Well i was at my local gun show, and finally saw an FN FS2000. really awesome gun, if I was a millionaire that gun would be sitting next to me right now. but i am not, so i own an AR-15. the dealer let me hold it, and wow it really is smaller then my 16" AR. i asked how much and he said, $2,200 (probably before tax). I thought thats crazy, i could buy 7 ak-47s, and supply a small platoon. so it got me thinking what do you fellow gunfolks think its worth? i say about $1100, maybe less. after all its made of alot of plastic, its a bullpup design, which has been around since the mid 70s. the only real appeal is the fact that it is the only awesome bullpup you can own. i know bushmaster makes one, which i thought about getting, but never heard anything amazing about it, so i got my AR instead.

so what do you think of the new rifle on the block?

HK Marketing Department's new slogan "HK. Because you suck. And we HATE you"
Old September 24, 2006, 01:18 PM   #2
hksigwalther

That guy is taking advantage of the current scarcity of the gun. CDNN is selling them (probably back ordered) for $1900. Going in on a deal formed by a friend, have one on order for $1780.

Quote:
...its a bullpup design, which has been around since the mid 70s.
The configuration is nothing new, but the actual design of the action is. A bullpup M17S has nothing in common with a Steyr AUG, or FAMAS, or L85, or any other bullpup other than it's configuration.
Old September 24, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
HorseSoldier

I am usually comfortable paying a premium for either a manufacture name or for a scarce design. Paying for both on one weapons is kind of painful. The FS2000 looks to me like around a $1000 rifle, but I've yet to handle one in the store or anything, which might effect my opinion.
Old September 24, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
p99guy

The first post not even correct on how long bull pups in general have been around(1970's ??? lol)..See British EM-2 in the late 1940's, Even John Garand while working at Springfield Armory farted with a bullpup design or two.
there were weird prototype bolt action rifles that today would be called a bull pup configuration, that exsisted before WWII
Old September 24, 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
oldbillthundercheif

Those things are impressive-looking. I would cough up a G if the price comes down...
Old September 24, 2006, 04:11 PM   #6
cnk

I paid $1899 for mine and have been extremely pleased with it. Of course, the price premium is what you pay to be one of the first people that have one.
Old September 24, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
FS2K

An opinion from a long time AR15 shooter..

The FN FS2000 is worth whatever the retail listing is.

I purchased mine for just under $2k. No, I am not a millionaire. Unlike a Galil, this gun is worth the asking price.

So what makes it so special? Alot of stuff.

Balance. The FS2000 is one of the most balanced, comfortable weapons to carry that I have owned. It is very centered in weight and has its balance point right above the trigger with a full magazine. The gun has a very natural feel to it when shouldered, and there's even a notch cut out of the foregrip for the index finger of my weak hand to rest in like I normally grip a carbine.

Size. I have always loved carbines. If a gun had a shorter version be it a "Paratrooper" or "Tank" or "Saddle" version to it? I would probably pick it above the full length version simply based on looks. Well, with the FS2000 I don't sacrifice barrel length for compact size. The 17"+ barrel has a 1:7 twist making this carbine VERY accurate as well.

Accuracy. As mentioned above, the 17.4" barrel with 1:7" RH twist rate makes this little carbine as accurate if not MORE accurate than any of my AR15 Carbines, bull barrels included. Coupled with the ergonomic stock the FS2000 is a super stable platform from which to shoot freehand (even better with a sling). I noticed a substancial rise in accuracy after the barrel was broken in.

Clean gun, easy to maintain. Unlike the AR15 gas system that craps where it eats, the FS2000 's clean runnin was a pleasent surprise for me. You can even adjust the amount of gas pressure needed (for instance if shooting weak underpowered rounds) by a simple flip of a knob. In anycase the gun shoots clean. No matter, as one push pin is all that's needed to seperate the weapon from it's stock and everything mechanical on the gun is within easy reach. Cleaning is super simple, much like the overall weapons design.

Shooter comfort. The gun never gets too hot to handle, no matter how many rounds are shot. The funiature remains cool and is able to handle the heat of the weapon being shot ALOT without warping or any discoloration at all.
The eronomics on the FS2000 was also a pleasent surprise. The charging handle is on the left so you can rack it while still having your trigger hand in place, the safety switch is right below your trigger finger making it easy to switch too. Magazine release is large, easy to manipulate and right in front of the magazine well. Pretty cool...

Minimal Recoil out of such a short gun. The recoil pulse is minor, not that recoil is a problem for 5.56/.223 ammo. LOL! But a nice thing is, you don't get blasted in the face by hot gasses and crap like you do when shooting an AR15. Takes a little getting used to when you had to deal with that sort of thing for so long...

Uses AR15/M16 Magazines. Something I already had a bunch of. I really like the conveinience of not having to get a whole new set of magazines for this gun. She uses the same mags, same ammo. I love that!

Weather resistance. This thing is weatherproof. Whatever finish they use on the metal parts is good. Real GOOD. No rust whatso ever, and the plastic stock? Like I said, heat proof to the max, and wet proof naturally.

Heck...I even like the Green stock, which I thought I'd hate.

I am not saying these things because I own the gun. It is an impressive weapon, at least to me. It is the most expensive weapon I have purchased so far, but I wouldn't say it was worth it if it wasn't. I wanted something different than just another AR and Steyr AUG's were still out of my financial reach (not saying they are actually worth that much.) She was still cheaper than a USED HK, and had those little things about her (like using AR mags) that eventually won me over. I am glad I bought this gun. It's been months since I first got this gun, and I am still excited to take it out and go shooting with it. If fun was a measure of worth, this thing would cost a million bucks.

So is it perfect? NO. The stock sights are better left for backup use only as they are set extremely low. This means you need to buy some sort of sighting system in order to shoot the gun in total comfort. I fitted an Eotech 511 I had originally bought for my BW89, and it works like a charm. Matches the lines of the gun nice too. The trigger pull is heavy, especially if you are used to shooting tuned AR15's. But then again, what isn't? The best way to describe the FS2000's trigger is that it feels like your average HK trigger.

Other than that, she's fine...and worth the money.
Old September 24, 2006, 04:37 PM   #8
FS2K

Oh and for the WAR-MONGERS out there...

No. A BETA-C Magazine does not fit. LOL!

You know you were curious....
Old September 24, 2006, 07:02 PM   #9
osufanboy

I saw that there Assassin. I got to fondle it. I was surprised it's heavier than is looks. I saw a PS90 about a year ago and now this, and I have to say FN does a fantastic job of thinking outside the box. The lines are clean. Nothing extraneous mucking it up. I would like to own one, and hopefully will when they drop to 1.5G or so.

So what did you think of the show? I pretty much went there for ammo (I miss the prices of even a year go). About the only milsurp rifles were AKs. I couldn't find a single K31. And I swear everyone selling ARs. Is there like a flooded market with these things or what? They could have almost just called it the "AR show".
There's a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.
Old September 26, 2006, 01:07 AM   #10
Tayta_Mayne

Where did you say this was?

I have been running from shop to shop and havnt noticed one. I will check it out soon though.lol
Old September 26, 2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Half-Price Assassin

seems like i am not the only one who finds the new FN FS2000 a bit over priced. still a really awesome gun. i would pay about $1000 and anymore then that i would start to feel ripped off. after all if you just want something to plink with a Wasr, or Sar does the job. or even a dragunov, with a scope for 1/3 the price. well the gun show was at hara arena, hey Tayta_Mayne, just go to www.gunshow.net that gives some listings of gunshows for the ohio area. i thought this gun show was ok, not sure if i will go again for along time, takes almost 2 hours to get to dayton, gas costs (which could have been ammo costs), and wasnt much different from a PRO gun show. but still fun, i love those gun shows. your right they do have alot of ARs, but after all ARs is really the only kind of long gun (military style, semi), we Americans can own (thanks Bush #1).

Old September 26, 2006, 04:04 PM   #12
FS2K

A few minutes of handling and a couple of pictures on the net...

Is not enough to gauge a weapons worth IMHO.

I made the mistake of not thinking about HP-Assasin's question enough before I voted. The question was how much I think the gun is worth, not how much I spent on the gun. Now after owning and shooting the gun extensively I would have to say that the gun is worth whatever FN is asking for it retail. The FS2000 outshoots all but 2 of my AR15 Carbines that also have 1:7" twists to their barrels, and has better muzzle velocity over them all.

I'm sold on this gun, and I am an AR15 guy. I seriously doubt I would have the same opinion of this gun had I not been able to shoot it how I WANTED to shoot it. $2200.00 is a deal for this gun, especially these days of $4000.00 USED Galils, $3500.00 USED HK94's, and USED $5500.00 Steyr AUG's! LOL! I've shot Galil's and Steyr's and I figure my Bobcat is pretty close to a HK94 and I KNOW I wouldn't pay anywhere close to those prices for those guns even if they were brand spanking new! LOL!
Old September 27, 2006, 03:03 PM   #13
Half-Price Assassin

hmmmmm

$2200.00 is a deal for this gun, especially these days of $4000.00 USED Galils, $3500.00 USED HK94's, and USED $5500.00 Steyr AUG's! LOL!

you make a good point FS2K, i never really thought of that. i guess when compared to other foreign bullpups, or just anything foreign, it is a good price. still kind of high though.

Old September 28, 2006, 01:51 PM   #14
FS2K

OH YES! $2200.00 is a LOT of cookies buddy.

I agree with you 100% on that. I have to really save up to get mine. Didn't know what I would get...just so happens the FS2K came up.

I suppose value is how you look at it. I really can't understand how some guns command such high prices. I value stuff for how they work. Looks count, sure, but it ain't WORTH anything you know what I mean?

Take UZI's compared to AK's. Both are made the cheapest way possible. Both consist or little more than stamped sheet metal parts and a barrel, yet, an UZI commands a higher price than an AK. If you ask me, it should be the opposite way around. UZI's are notoriously crappy shooters and make absolutely no sense as semi-auto's. Check this out. A COPY not even an original IMI Uzi USED going for $1700.00!!!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=57374694

or this one for a STARTING PRICE of $1700.00!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=56800944

or this mini for $2195.00!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=57344731

I would far rather get a brand spanking new FN FS2000 than any of these used guns too.

I'm not here trying to justify why I paid what I did for my FS2K. If the gun didn't turn out as good as it did, it would have been a foolish purchase, and I am the first to admit that. I took a gamble with a whole bunch of money and it paid off for me. But in the end, $2K+ is always a lot to spend on a gun.
Old October 11, 2006, 07:02 PM   #15
mcguiver-007

The price is not likely to come down. I have heard people talking on many boards of "When" the price drops. The fact is prices do not go down they go up. When the PS-90 was released wholesale cost was $1350.00 now it is over $1400 although the price has appairently droped because people are no longer getting away with inflating the price due to the rarity of the weapons. as it stands the FS2000 is even harder to get than the PS-90 was originally but givin what it costs wholesale, (wich like the PS-90 will not likely go down) the ones being advertised for $1900 is not at all a bad price. One of the wholesalers I use shows the suggested retail price at $2400 Given that manny people are charging as much as $3000 for these guns The price will appear to deminish with availability but the only reason that it is so high right now is greed Their is no reason other than that why everyone is not selling these guns for $1900 to $2000 but with time that is what most of them will sell for. but don't kid yourself it will never sell for the $1000> price tag so many people have been Posting.
Old October 12, 2006, 04:12 PM   #16
SpK

Quote:
I purchased mine for just under $2k. No, I am not a millionaire. Unlike a Galil, this gun is worth the asking price.
I don't think Galils, AUGs, and HK91s are any less of a value than the FS2000.

Because IMO, ALL of those guns are overpriced.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:50 AM   #17
USMCINFANTRY

Great Rifle

The FN FS2000 is awesome. I have one and have only fired about 400 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. Unfortunately i have to sell due to our wonderful economic times. looking for $1,600 flat. Probably replace it with a savage .223. Do some long range pest control.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:58 PM   #18
bottom rung

I really like what FN is doing. Would I pay $2000 for the FS? No, but I still want one. I also really want a Ruger Side by Side, which last time I checked was going for $1900. I think however, I would pick the PS90 over the FS2000. I am still hesitant to spend $1600 on the PS90 also. Simply put, I think they are worth the price, but I am not willing to spend the money. That is why my only semi auto rifle is a 10/22. Damn........I am a cheap loser.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:42 PM   #19
Jermtheory

The trigger,clearing malfunctions,and reloads is enough to keep me away for anything over $1000.

Well...i voted "under $1000",but i might go a little over that just for the novelty and CDI factor.

If i were to pony up for a nice bullpup it would probably be the TPD Aug with a trigger tamer...assuming i could find one.

...Thats doubtfull as well though.

I like the balance and compactness of a bullpup,but thats about it.There's just too many issue with them for me to go away from the AR platform for one.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:52 PM   #20
Beretta16

Quote:
The FN FS2000 is worth whatever the retail listing is.
It's worth whatever people are willing to pay. This poll indicates that that is under $1,250.

Last edited by Beretta16; December 23, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old December 23, 2008, 12:23 AM   #21
scorpion_tyr

If I had unlimited funds I wouldn't care, but I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for it. I love the gun, the design, and I'm a big FN fan. However I'm a much bigger fan of $75 for a Mosin Nagant.
Old December 23, 2008, 02:53 AM   #22
ronl

No way it is worth what they're asking. What can it do that a well maintained AR can't do at half the price?
Old December 23, 2008, 07:24 PM   #23
ThreeStepsAhead

As an owner of an FS2000, I can say that it will outperform the AR in many facets.

Let's get something out of the way...if something breaks there is little recourse for repair besides mailing it off...

That said...

The blowback system in the AR is not my favorite. I prefer the piston system, which makes cleaning an incredibly simple process. Breakdown of major components is a snap, one large tight fitting button releases the 3 groups. Seriously, I can clean it in 30 mins and do a great job.

The forward brass ejector is great, not only can I shoot next to someone without ******* them off with my hot brass, I can place a cardboard box in front of me and collect my brass if I wish.

My rifle is shorter then most ARs because the barrel, being 17'', is built back into the stock, which makes it extremely compact without losing inches.

This purchase wasn't the most sane I've made (I'm not rich or even moderately wealthy), but I'm glad I bought it. It's a joy to own and fire.

3SA

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old December 23, 2008, 08:51 PM   #24
Evil Monkey

Quote:
Let's get something out of the way...if something breaks there is little recourse for repair besides mailing it off...
That's why I will never buy an FN product. If I can't just order parts to replace broken ones, I don't deal with that company.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:23 PM   #25
ThreeStepsAhead

That's unfortunate...because it's a magnificent weapon.

I have only heard of one issue and it's the charging handle breaking. But that seems to be a trend in early models.

If you're looking for an awesome company to deal with, Kel-Tec is by far the most customer oriented weapons manufacturer ever. I bought a PLR 16, and lost a piece required to hold the spring of the piston spring. I emailed them asking how much a replacement part would cost and they promptly replied with "Send me your address, the part number and name and we'll get that out to you, no charge."

Damn fine company with very practical/cool weapons.

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."