The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2006, 08:55 AM   #26
sundog

Hardegg, couple things to consider. First, since you're using LC brass, you may have reduced case capacity. Get several pieces of Remington, Winchester, or other brass and compare by filling with water or better something dry like a dense ball powder (I like AA#9/H108 for this test) and see if they all have the same internal volume. For example, fill a Rem case full and level and then pour it off into the LC case. Is it short, even, or overflow? That's a quick test just to see where you're at. Discovery. Then check your load books and see what brass (and other components) was used for the tests. Military brass tends sometimes to be less volume, therefor, the same load you will get higher pressure. The .308 is generally pretty easy to find a load for. Try some other bullets beside the 180 GK. Powders that should work are generally in the range of 3031 through 4064, maybe through 4320, and best accuracy is usually something below max - consult your manuals and on line load data from known sources. Loads don't need to be speed of light to be accurate. If you just have to have more speed, get a 300 Win Mag. Let us know what you come up with. sundog
Old September 26, 2006, 10:27 AM   #27
Hardegg

Thanks Sundog, I appreciate the comments.
I bought some RL 15 and winchester brass I really want to work up my loads with 175's and stay with that so I had to order them.
I understand not to change to many things at once But hindsight being 20 20 I am coming up with a better game plan.
I want some new brass to test in I think I will just stay away from the military brass with this gun.
I have loaded hundreds of rounds of 308 loads for my other gun all with Varget so I think I will be able to tell the differance in charcteristics.

Long story short I am switching so many things at once because I intend to make those items work instead of trying to improve things I will only be changing down the road anyway.

I am swamped with real life right now but hope to get some loads worked up soon and shoot