The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 19, 2006, 01:34 PM   #1
mystified

Tanarmi TA38 Derringer Question

Is anyone familiar with the Tanarmi TA38 .38 cal. O/U derringer? From what I've heard, they were made by Excam out of Hialeah, Florida. Just wondered if it's a fairly common model (I also heard Excam went out of business somewhere in the '90s). Anyway, just curious about this derringer. Thanks for any info....
Old September 19, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
lee n. field

I had, once upon a time, what I believe is the same gun under the FIE brand name.

Piece 'o crap.

(edited to be a bit less judjemental) Mine was, anyway. Your own personal mileage may vary.
Old September 19, 2006, 07:14 PM   #3
mystified

Thanks for the honest opinion, Lee This gun just sits in a closet in its box, and I'd never heard of it. Wondered about it...Other opinions are also appreciated...
Old September 20, 2006, 07:48 AM   #4
lee n. field

Hint -- don't dry fire it. You risk chipping the firing pin selector (internal part that flopps back and forth to transfer the hammer's impact to one firing pin or the other).

Hint -- it's hideously unsafe to carry with both cylinders loaded.

The times I did fire it (the times it actually fired -- that chipped part problem again), I did not find the recoil to be excessive. Again, YMMV.

I considered myself well ahead to have traded the gun and it's nice little Bianchi clip on holster away for $30 store credit.
Old October 9, 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
shotgunwillie14

Excam mod ta

I've had one of these little buggers since the early 80s have shot it many times (Don't dry fire anything) have never had any problems with it. I paid $20 for it second hand, have seen them in pawn shops for quite a bit more and had found this link ( http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976630308.htm ),while researching the manufactor which I believe to be Excam, which must have been bought out by fie, if the information on this link is correct ( http://www.gun-parts.com/excam/ ).
You should get it out of the box and go have some fun (Up Close)!
Have a good-un
Shotgunwillie
Old October 10, 2006, 08:26 AM   #6
lee n. field

That be the same gun. Wow, that's an absurd price on it.
Old October 14, 2006, 11:35 PM   #7
jhco50

I have a couple of them and have for years. I like them for pocket carry. One thing I have noticed is that every time I shoot one, it stands straight up in my hands. The second shot is pretty much a moot point.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:09 AM   #8
skeeter1

$350, for that??? I don't think so, or maybe I've got a bridge you'd like to buy. That's an old Remington-style derringer, and doesn't look to be in all that good condition. If you decide to go for it, take money out of your wallet and just set it on fire. That's a POS.