The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2006, 08:00 AM   #1
ChowYunFat

Anyone have the Taurus PT1911?

What do guys think of the Taurus PT1911? Looks like a lot of gun for the money.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:06 AM   #2
tegemu

There has been a lot of discussion of this gun on this and other forums. Do a search on "Taurus PT1911" and you'll get a ton of imfo.
Old September 19, 2006, 09:14 AM   #3
AirForceShooter

I got to fondle one this past weekend.
My observations.
The checkered grips could be used to #20 sandpaper. Talk about rough. The trigger was around 8 pounds. It's got Heine sights and I don't like them.
The blue finish was so so.
And holding it in my hand it didn't seem "right" the way other 1911's do.

But, that's just me.

I'll pass

AFS
Old September 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
ChowYunFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegemu
There has been a lot of discussion of this gun on this and other forums. Do a search on "Taurus PT1911" and you'll get a ton of imfo.
Thanks for pointing out the search feature. I tried searching for "Taurus PT1911" and none of the results contained any information I was looking for.
Old September 19, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
calvinike

Chow,
Have you tried a gunshop/range near you?. Most of the ones around here have rentals of the new "hot" pistols. They do it as a marketing tool. For $10.00 you can see if you like it. If you do, and buy, ask for a credit for the rental fee. The other upside to rental guns is the maintainence is crap. If they work at the store they'll work at home. My .02.
Old September 19, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
IM_Lugger

this may hep you http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=137762

I think I will get one in stainless, probably in 9mm then they come out
Old September 19, 2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Mark54g

Wow,

I just called up a gunshop not too far from where I work, asking if they carry Taurus guns (wanted to actually handle the PT1911). They said "No, we don't carry substandard guns. We carry Sigs, Glocks, Kimbers.......come in here, we'll sell you a Beretta 92FS, a real gun"

I was in shock. There are too many explatives to spout on a "family friendly" forum. Condescending attitutues like that, and trying to sell me on something without knowing what I was even looking for.....

I made mention of the fact that I had a 9mm and was looking at a .45, namely the PT1911 (its on my short list) and he suddenly wanted nothing to do with me.
Old September 19, 2006, 01:13 PM   #8
zukiphile

Quote:
Wow,

I just called up a gunshop not too far from where I work, asking if they carry Taurus guns (wanted to actually handle the PT1911). They said "No, we don't carry substandard guns. We carry Sigs, Glocks, Kimbers.......come in here, we'll sell you a Beretta 92FS, a real gun"

I was in shock. There are too many explatives to spout on a "family friendly" forum. Condescending attitutues like that, and trying to sell me on something without knowing what I was even looking for.....

I made mention of the fact that I had a 9mm and was looking at a .45, namely the PT1911 (its on my short list) and he suddenly wanted nothing to do with me.
Sounds like he will get his wish. I wonder which marketing model he was using.

I still have a Taurus 92 I bought 15 years ago: if only I had known it wasn't a real gun, I could have figured out what it was and found a better use for it.

I've known a few shopkeepers with the attitude you've described. They found other employment.
Old September 19, 2006, 01:14 PM   #9
ChowYunFat

Quote:
Wow,

I guess he doesn't want your money.
Old September 19, 2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Mark54g

I definately agree. I had considered stopping by that shop and talking to the manager (or just wasting their time, fondling guns and not buying ).

I am looking at either a CZ 97B (found a decent used one online with some nice mods), a PT1911 or an XD 45ACP. I would also consider a PX4 or CX4, but not too sure if I want another 9mm. I am not in the market for a .40 right now.

The PT1911 looked like it could have been a winner. Nobody around here has em......
Old September 21, 2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Qwiks draw

Why not go over to the Taurus Forum-powered by Infopop and search over there and browse the Taurus pistols section? Since quite a few owners are over there you should find useful help. Check all the areas there because info is posted at different locations on different threads. Actual owners will probably be checking in shortly. Good luck on your search. Let us know what happens.
Old September 21, 2006, 06:22 AM   #12
marlboroman84

I saw the ad for it in the new issue of GUNS and have taking a liking to it myself, but haven't seen anyone around with them yet. As I've been wanting a 1911 and am on a "medium" budget might be the gun for me.

Hey Mark, go to the store and tell the manager his employee is scaring away business with his bad attitude and if it's the manager that did it......well I hate to say to resort to childish measures, but you could always knock over a display on the way out then run off lol. Substandard pistols my behind. Tell that to my Taurus .38! That's my little buddy
Old September 21, 2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Joe D

The Taurus has the same funky front strap that the older model Springfields had. I would not let the trigger pull bother me in the least. If you can't do a trigger job on a 1911 yourself then $50 will get you a good crisp pull by a gunsmith.
My impression of the Taurus is it falls between the cheap 1911s (Charles Daly and Armscor) and the better guns (Springfield, STI Trojan and Kimber). It is closer to the Springfield offerings than the Kimber and STI.
I rate the Springfield a little lower than the Kimber and STI due to a lack of positive barrel lock up.
Now before a flame war starts let me explain what I mean. No Springfield that I have worked on had a positive barrel lock up. Yes, I have worked on dozens and dozens of Springfields. Kimber and STI barrels have full contact between the slidelock pin and slide lugs. Springfields do not.
Old September 21, 2006, 07:23 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Quote:
The checkered grips could be used to #20 sandpaper. Talk about rough.
Oooooh, nice! I like it when they cut my hand....all the better to grip you with, my little gat.

The 8 lb trigger, OTOH - no bueno. :barf:
Old September 21, 2006, 09:01 AM   #15
olivehead

the frontstrap and backstrap checkering is simply not as nice as that on, say, a kimber TLE, etc. but it's good enough for a positive grip and i have yet to cut my hand after 300 rounds. the fit and finish on mine was quite good, the finish good enough (akin to a lower grade kimber custom II black finish), the trigger the smoothest of the 5 or 6 1911s i've shot (including SA and kimber). mine is more accurate than i am, and for $500 i'm very happy with the gun. so far the aftermarket parts i've tried have dropped in (e.g. full lenght stainless guide rod from wilson's and SA stainless barrel bushing), with the exception of a wilson's stainless barrel bushing that would have required a little fitting. the hard plastic grips were not my cup of tea, and taurus should have gotten a contract with hogue to make them under license. i've put hogue checkered rubber on mine w/o modification, although some material could be taken out of the right panel to better accomodate the extended ambi safety. all aftermarket mags i've tried in it (act-mag/novak and CMC shooting star and power mags) have worked flawlessly. the only thing about this gun i'd caution is probably not to buy one sight unseen at this time, as 3 other samples i've handled were in one way or another not on a par with mine (e.g. looser slide/frame fit, loose safety, general finish). but if you get a good one, it's very good.
Old September 21, 2006, 09:07 AM   #16
LH2

Will Taurus be servicing their 1911s in Brazil? I've heard of folks sending guns in for warranty work and it was to Brazil. I think this was a revolver though.
Old September 27, 2006, 10:56 PM   #17
Krkucin

Taurus PT1911?

Have been considering the purchase of a Taurus 1911. Anyone have one and have any feedback? Has anyone put a bunch of rounds thru it, and how does it feel? Let me know, any feedback would be great.
Old September 27, 2006, 11:26 PM   #18
Tomas

I've put 500 rounds through mine of mixed HP and FMJ. Going to handloads soon, but the chamber is a little tighter than I thought so I need to get a crimper die.

It's been 100% so far, and the best 1911 I own, save for my Colt DE, but that's only because I bought it 1986, and it has had thousands of rounds put through it, without a hitch - and I own 7 1911s, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm not big on the grips, so I bought some new ones from Hogue.

This has been a great pistol, and I can highly recommend it.

Tom
Old September 27, 2006, 11:50 PM   #19
kansas45

I have put 1500+ through mine since I got it in mid August. Not one problem. I didn't like the factory grips & replaced them with some Houge palm swell 1911 grips. I also had my gunsmith set the trigger @ 4lbs. I was 7lbs from the factory. The gun is very well built, not to tight & not loose. I've put it in & out of the holster many times & noticed the finish showing a little wear near the forend of the slide. I like the factory mags & also have 6 Chip McCormic mags that work just as well. I have used several other makes & so far the TAURUS has worked well with all of them. It is well worth the money for a 1911.
Old October 2, 2006, 01:36 AM   #20
MPanova

i love mine! its not as comfortable as some of my others but its a very well made pistol and shoots very well! like those above i too changed out the factory grips for the Hogue and that helps the feel alot. 2000+ rounds with out a problem. great 1911! and for the price you cant go wrong

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"
Old October 4, 2006, 07:55 AM   #21
MetalMan

taurus PT1911

hello- new member here.Bought a PT1911 yesterday and put 100 hardball rounds through it.Flawlessly. I was thinking Kimber but for the $ ( 469.00 cash)you can not go wrong with the Taurus. The pull is crisp and est. at 4# haven't put a scale on it yet.The only thing I'm not too fond of are the phenolic hard grips,soon to be replaced.
Old October 4, 2006, 08:06 AM   #22
Seraph

I've been apprehensive, but I have one coming into the shop here in the next couple of days. We'll let the customers decide.

~ Miyamoto Musashi
Old October 4, 2006, 12:19 PM   #23
tegemu

I went and fondled one today and was very favorably impressed. One will be my next gun buy, i'msaving now. I loved the checkering on the straps, not too aggressive and provides a great grip.

I apologize for directing you to the SEARCH feature. I truly thought there would be a ton of threads, I have seen a lot of forum chatter about them.
Old October 4, 2006, 04:05 PM   #24
CraCZ

My shooting buddy bought his last week for $519(non-stainless) and we took it out and was quite impressed. Very nice trigger and feels like maybe 3-3/12lbs. Very very accurate and no malfunctions. Im not a fan of taurus but this one is a keeper.
Old October 7, 2006, 06:20 PM   #25
Dreadnought

Just picked up one today, it's my first .45. I happen to like the sights and grip, but then again I am also a Beretta fan. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow, I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Ci vediamo.