The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 18, 2006, 01:58 AM   #1
azurefly

Here's a tactic that didn't quite work out...

Young man killed by weirdo

Seems to me that the kid was just stupid to go and accost this guy (who seems to very possibly be a whack-job).

-azurefly
Old September 18, 2006, 03:33 AM   #2
stratus

...That's the worst call I've ever heard of. That kid's stupidity is what killed him, by way of the other nutjob's actions.

Armed lunatic jumps out of the bushes at you with a gun and a stick. Obviously the solution would be to go over to his house and knock on his door. Yeah... that would really solve things.

He should have called the Sheriff's department as the family had been considering.
Old September 18, 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
ceetee

Not knowing the address, I can't tell you exactly how far away I am, but I do live in the area. That whole part of the county was divided up into acre-plus lots (hence the name, "The Acreage"). Lots of people moved up there years ago so they could be apart from others. The small size of the guys house tells me it was one of the first ones out there.

Years passed, and more of the acre-plus lots got developed. Suddenly, these loners that first moved there to get away from other people find themselves surrounded by the very people they were trying to get away from in the first place. There's quite a bit of racial tension there, as more minorities move in. Those that used the isolation to farm illicit plants ( ) find themselves more and more exposed to scrutiny.

I can picture the newcomer walking his dog down the canal behind a row of homes. He thinks he's doing nothing wrong. Technically, he could be accused of trespassing, I suppose. He wackadoo neighbor makes some threats and he thinks, "Hey... I can't let this guy chase me off. I have every right to walk my dog anywhere I want..."

Bad choices were made by both sides in this one.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Mikeyboy

Quote:
Disturbed that his new neighbor threatened him, Cote returned home and woke up his mother, sister and mother's fiancé. The family argued about whether they should call the sheriff's office.
I don't understand what is to argue. You just had a firearm pointed at you by some wackjob who jumped out of the bushes...you should call the cops.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5
AmesJainchill

Someone yells at you with a gun for trespassing into their yeard and then you drive into their yard, armed, honk the horn, with your headling pointed into their home?

What kind of response is that? That's a pretty hostile response to me. I understand why Cotes was shot.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6
john in jax

Stupid kid, one bad Decision after another - - parent(s) apparently had very little influence over him. They should have called the police ASAP
Old September 18, 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Epyon

AmesJainchill....

the guy shot was NOT armed, that was the excuse of the whack-job neighbor, however it was stupid of the victim to try to confront an armed individual on his own property. Had the victim called the cops the neighbor would've faced legal action for his consequences, and the victim would probably be alive.

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old September 18, 2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Les Auten

Quote:
When deputies arrived, Tapanes calmly told police he didn't mean to shoot Cote. Bianchi said Tapanes also told deputies that Cote had a pistol in his left hand, but no guns other than Tapanes' shotgun and small pellet pistol were found, the report stated.
It is not clear who the pellet gun belonged to. Sounds as if the young man may have taken a pellet gun along to scare the neighbor. If Cote threatened Tapanes with the pellet gun while standing in front of the headlights then Tapanes may get off with a self defense claim.Cote should have let the Police handle it.
Plenty of stupidity on the part of both partys!
Old September 19, 2006, 11:33 PM   #9
Jason607

I think the one guy went too far, not a good way to introduce yourself. However, Cotes brought it on himself by driving in his yard, which was showing definate agression, and then 3:30am come pounding on the door. Some teenages hardasses out there think it makes them ballsy to run up on someone with a gun when unarmed. Not ballsy, it's plain stupid. Darwin Effect in action. At least he won't breed. Like my grandfather said "If you ask for it enough, you'll probally end up getting it" and "cruising for a bruising".
Old September 20, 2006, 03:07 AM   #10
tanksoldier

Ouch! That will leave a mark.

Quote:
shoot Cote twice in the stomach with a pistol-grip pump shotgun.
Um, duh... Anything would have been better than what Coates actually did. Interestingly, here in Colorado what Tapanes did during the initial encounter might not have even been illegal as long as he didn't actually point the gun or threaten Coats. Just having a gun in your hand on your own property here isn't illegal. Even pointing the gun at a trespasser probably wouldn't cause you a problem.

Quote:
That's when Tapanes jumped out of the bushes with a stick and a gun and yelled at Cote for walking on his property, sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said. Disturbed that his new neighbor threatened him, Cote returned home and woke up his mother, sister and mother's fiancé. The family argued about whether they should call the sheriff's office.
Here in Colorado, disregarding the initial incident, if the homeowner had taken a step back and Coats had walked thru the door Tapanes MIGHT have gotten away with it under Colorado castle docterine. Coats behaved in an aggressive manner, Tapanes could have claimed he thought Coates might have used force. If it turns out that the pellet gun belonged to Coates, I'd say Tapanes was justified. No way to know in the dark, at 0330, with somebody parked on your lawn with his headlights in your eyes that it wasn't a real gun. Heck, even if it wasn't I could believe that Tapanes THOUGHT he was armed... bad light, headlights in your eyes, aggressive stranger beating on your door at O' Dark 30...

Quote:
Cote decided he would deal with his disgruntled neighbor alone. So he drove his 1995 Jeep Cherokee about 20 feet onto Tapanes' property, leaving his headlights on to illuminate the dark, reclusive home, Bianchi said. After honking his horn several times, Cote got out of the vehicle and banged on Tapanes' door.
Tapanes may be a looney, but Coates is/was an idiot.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:22 PM   #11
oldbillthundercheif

The pellet gun is the main issue here. If that goof went over to the wack-job's house waving that thing around with his headlights making visability difficult...
Old September 23, 2006, 12:32 AM   #12
Gunrnr

Often times youthful stupidity is the basis for later wisdom (I'm living proof!). This kid didn't have that luxury. Hindsight may be 20/20, but the parent should have intervened before the kid took off the second time.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a **** by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php
Old September 23, 2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Nortonics

The shooter sounds just like the boat load of mini-Rambo imbeciles all over these forums that we're all forced to read garbage from.

Oh well, act like an imbecile* and you'll be treated like one. Hope the shooter brings his KY to jail with him... heh.

NOUN:
A stupid or silly person; a dolt.
A person whose mental acumen is well below par.
A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision.
Old September 23, 2006, 08:53 AM   #14
garryc

No pity for this Cote guy

Lets see. You walk your dog and your first contact with the guy next door, who lives in a boarded up house, has him holding a shotgun. I'd say my impression of him would that he is a teritorial reclusive with paranoia. I think most here would make that same call. So he doesn't call the cops to do thier job, at least get a complaint on it.
Then he pulls onto the guys property, shines his lights on the house, honks his horn then gets out and bangs on the door. I think anyone here would know that such an action would do nothing more than push all the guys buttons. Frankly, if you did that at my house I'd get gun in hand right away, though I would not answer the door.
So the guy answers the door, does that Cote guy have the pellet gun in his hand? Is it pointing at him? If it is in his hand pointed away he might get warned, if it was me, and he so much as twitches it in my direction he dies.
Plus the fact that he was standing on the door step of a home owner who was holding a gun and arguing with him.
No pity for this Cote guy, he was a dumbazz. No pity for his mom, she was a dumbazz too for not steping up and calling the cops. I know the kid was 19 but he was still living under her roof.
The actions of the guy earlier in the day do not relate to his actions when confrunting a possibly armed person on his door step. Just because the guy is "differant" doesn't reduce his right to defend himself. This might be a justifiable shoot.
Old September 23, 2006, 01:56 PM   #15
Les Auten

Quote:
Nortonics
Quote:
The shooter sounds just like the boat load of mini-Rambo imbeciles all over these forums that we're all forced to read garbage from.

Oh well, act like an imbecile* and you'll be treated like one. Hope the shooter brings his KY to jail with him... heh.
From the article:
Quote:
Violent Crime Division Detective Michael Bianchi said the incident began about 3:45 a.m. Sunday when Cote walked his dog along an easement just east of his new home. That's when Tapanes jumped out of the bushes with a stick and a gun and yelled at Cote for walking on his property, sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said
If I catch someone walking around my backyard at 3:45 in the morning I might confront them with a firearm in my hand!

If they later come back to my house and light up my house honk the horn and if they have a weapon with them they will probably end up like this kid.

Even if the kid didn't have the pellet gun he was still acting in a menacing way.
Old September 23, 2006, 02:43 PM   #16
Blackwater OPS

I think the article was written in biased manner. Here is the way I see it, written from my POV if I was the shooter.

Note: I would not make these same decisions, starting with going outside to investigate a noise, but that does not make them wrong.

1. It's 3:45 am and I hear someone out side on my property. I decide to investigate. Since I am permently disabled I take my walking stick/cane, and a firearm (shotgun) for protection.

2. I encounter a man with a dog "sneaking around" on my property(again it's 3:45 am). I am concerned and upset with his presence there, possibly even scared. (keep in mind that in some state like TX I would be justified in shooting at this point) I yell at him to get away from my property, possibly at gunpoint. He leaves.

3. I decide perhaps it was those new neighbors that just moved in, and I might go over in daylight to clear the air, but make it clear that I have strong feelings about my private property. I don't call the cops and press charges because I think it's something that can be resolved between adults without the police.

4. I go back to sleep and I am awakened a short time later by a jeep driving onto my lawn with the headlights pointed at my house! Soon, there is a man banging on the door! I think, perhaps it's the same neighbor, so I open the door to try and explain my situation, and since I am now more than a bit angry, give him a piece of my mind about driving onto people's property and pounding on doors at 4 am.

5.I open the door, the shotgun is of course right next to it, in case the man intends to do me harm. An arguement begins and at some point I see him pull a pistol, I can't see what kind since the headlights of his jeep are in my eyes but I am now in fear for my life. I fire two rounds from my shotgun it the man, yelling at me, on my property, with a gun, at 4 am. He is killed.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old September 23, 2006, 02:56 PM   #17
marlboroman84

blackwater sounds about right to me. I know of a few people who thought it'd be a good idea to take a pellet pistol and "scare someone with it". Having said that I also know of a few people who don't need to breed. Hate to say it but I agree the kid's death is sad, but he definitely put himself in a position to get in serious trouble with the police at least and it just happened he got the most extreme form of punishment for his actions.
Old September 23, 2006, 08:19 PM   #18
littlmak

I'm sorry, I just can't picture anyone of normal intelligence, even at 4AM. Confronting a hyper neighbor with a PELLET GUN after this same person displayed a SHOTGUN just minutes before. Until I read otherwise I'll bet the PG belonged to the shotgun holder as well.
Old September 23, 2006, 10:05 PM   #19
BillCA

This may, indeed, be a case of evolution in action*.

I first questioned why someone needs to walk their dog at 3:45am off their property when they have an entire acre to let scruffy poop on. Be that as it may, some serious stupidity here.

Were it me, even in my wild & younger youth, I'd have called the PD and asked them to contact me first. I'd tell the officer(s) we'd just moved in and not wanting to get off on the wrong foot with the neighbor, we wanted to set things right - apologize if we were in the wrong place and if the neighbor was wrong let him know we are willing to be gracious as it only cost us a few grey hairs in the wee hours. This way, we may actually get along in the future.

The man is 62, the kid is 19. No contest when it comes to a fight. The old man lives alone in a very small house, the kid and his family in a quite large one. This speaks of a large income disparity and possibly some "attitude" on the part of both parties. But to go argue with someone in the wee hours of the morning with someone who had a shotgun with them makes me wonder if Cote was mentally-challenged or just plain stupid.

*(c) by Charles Darwin
Old September 24, 2006, 04:35 AM   #20
tanksoldier

I can't picture anyone of normal intelligence going over there at all, so the idea he might take a pellet gun to "scare" someone isn't too far fetched.

Many "thug" types think that a gun is a magic wand. Many unarmed thugs pretend to reach for a weapon even though they're completely unarmed as if that will cow anyone into submition. It often backfires, especially when used against somebody who is really armed, but they still do it.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just can't picture anyone of normal intelligence, even at 4AM. Confronting a hyper neighbor with a PELLET GUN after this same person displayed a SHOTGUN just minutes before. Until I read otherwise I'll bet the PG belonged to the shotgun holder as well.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old September 24, 2006, 08:58 AM   #21
cma g21

Quote by Blackwater OPS:
Quote:
I think the article was written in biased manner.
The Palm Beach Post is an unbiassed a paper as the New York Times. :barf:

Quote by BillCA:
Quote:
...evolution in action*...

*(c) by Charles Darwin
Not to nit pick (well, maybe a bit) but I believe that quote, "evolution in action," is actually from Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. The enire line (IIRC originally used to refer to a teenager killed during a stupid criminal act) was, "Think of it as evolution in action."
Old September 24, 2006, 08:59 AM   #22
GreyFox

if someone pulled a gun and even worse a stick on you.. ( gun is scary, but the stick just makes him sick in the head) Would your first response be to pull up in his driveway and honk your horn like a @hole and knock on his door... yeah... good idea... i wouldn't pull up to someones house i know and got along with and honk and beat on the door. like previouslly stated bad idea.... parents should of called the police
Old September 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #23
monkeyboy

As a civilian, when confronted by stupidity and aggression, IF you can explicate yourself from the situation, it is necessary to execrcise either intellect and superior judgement or overwhelming force coupled with a workable plan.

Whether the old geezer was a crackpot looking for a reason to shoot someone, or genuinely concerned, the kid exacerbated it.

If I had someone on my lawn at 4:00 AM I would probably over react too.
Old September 24, 2006, 02:50 PM   #24
garryc

Quote:
gun is scary, but the stick just makes him sick in the head
Could be worse........ could be a board with a nail in it!!!
Old September 24, 2006, 05:21 PM   #25
ceetee

Quote:
I believe that quote, "evolution in action," is actually from Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Wow... I thought I was one of the few to have read that book!

Regarding: Walking around in somebody else's back yard at 3:45 AM...

Around here (where this incident took place), most houses back up onto a small drainage canal. The drainage canals have a one-lane dirt road graded next to them for access by county vehicles. Even though I own all the way to the center line of the canal, that county easement is public domain. I can easily see this young-ish man walking his dog down the length of that easement (a place where he probably has every legal right to go) and the wack-ster jumping out at him. Since all our lots are an acre or bigger, the old guy pretty much had to have that easement staked out in order to do his jumping out. Either that, or he followed the young man down to that spot, with the intent to scare him.

Either way, I see it as two people that both should have known better. One paid with his life, and the other is probably going to pay with his freedom.