The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 12, 2015, 11:16 PM   #1
Rikakiah

Red dot for .22 pistol

I very recently got a Ruger 22/45 with rails (no iron sights). Looking for some suggestions on a decent red dot. I want something quality, but it obviously doesn't need to stand up to any recoil. Preferably not greater than a 4 MOA dot (2 would be better since it will be more target shooting not speed/defensive). Hoping there's options in the $100 range, give or take.

Next question is reflex or tube? I'm guessing that's probably largely personal preference. I think I'd like the more open view of a reflex, but a tube might be more durable for when I just stuff the gun into my bag. I know you shoot either both eyes open, but that might be harder for me psychologically with a tube.

Top contender on my radar now is Primary Arms.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Captains1911

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Mark III and like it a lot. Another good option is the Primary Arms Microdot. Both are just under $100.
Old February 13, 2015, 11:25 AM   #3
g.willikers

If it's going to be used for competition, the tube type is faster on target and still works as a sighting device even if it fails.
For plinking, it matters less.
Although, until you get used to a dot sight, the dot can be hard to find.
Unless the gun is well pointed to the target, the dot has a tendency to disappear off screen.
So, in the final analysis, get the one that is easiest for you to use.
And, in bright daylight, green is easier to see than red for most folks.
Old February 13, 2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Rikakiah

Guess I'll hit a few local shops and try out both styles a bit more. My LGS only carries higher priced ones and Cabelas seemed to only have cheapo ones last time I was in, but I guess either can give me a feel for style.

I prefer green already, but any with that option are typically pricier than I want to spend on a .22.
Old February 13, 2015, 03:21 PM   #5
chris in va

I had a 6" 22/45 and like you, put a weaver rail on it. I installed my Millett tube and while it was fun, it made the already top-heavy 22/45 absurdly unbalanced.

I also tried it on my CZ Kadet but just couldnt deal with the extra height.

May I humbly suggest a micro reflex such as a JPoint or similar.
Old February 13, 2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Rikakiah

Mine's the 4.5" with threaded barrel. Feels very well balanced, but definitely gets front heavy with my suppressor. Had originally thought a laser on the bottom rail would be fun, but once I put that suppressor on, robustness became the mantra. Definitely looking for the appropriate balance of quality, price, AND weight...
Old February 13, 2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

I'm sorry I don't remember the make or model, but a friend of mine who is a competitive bullseye shooter has a small tube on his competition pistol.
Old February 13, 2015, 05:39 PM   #8
TailGator

I have been told that the main difference between expensive red dots and cheap red dots is how they stand up to recoil. I put a Tru-Glo on my Beretta Neos that I got on sale for $30 and it has been doing fine for three or four years now. 22LR out of a relatively heavy pistol gives almost no recoil for shooter or sight.
Old February 13, 2015, 05:56 PM   #9
lunger

My only experience is with the tube type. I have a Millet on my MKII 512 . It has held zero and I have been satisfied with it. It would fit in your budget. A step up toward the $200 range would be an Ultra Dot. These are popular with Bullseye shooters and a very nice optic.
Old February 13, 2015, 06:11 PM   #10
g.willikers

Yes, your .22 doesn't really need an expensive scope, due to the low recoil.
I've even used a $30 airgun dot scope on one without harm.
Old February 13, 2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Rikakiah

Yeah, if it were for my M4, I'd be deciding which Aimpoint model to get. However, I still want some decent build quality and a crisp dot with clear glass.

The JPoint looks great (namely the weight), but with a mount I'd be paying almost as much as the gun itself. Can't justify that for a plinker/possible squirrel hunter.

I guess I'm seeing I probably can't too go wrong with any choice for a .22. Just have to figure out if I prefer a reflex or tube. Leaning towards reflex due to weight, but that may change once I look through a few (hopefully over this weekend).

Last edited by Rikakiah; February 13, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old February 14, 2015, 05:55 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca

http://www.cdnnsports.com/sightmark-...l#.VN_Ry6Oa_o4

http://www.cdnnsports.com/reflex-sig...l#.VN_R9qOa_o4

Green dot:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/green-micr...l#.VN_SNKOa_o5
Old February 15, 2015, 11:01 AM   #13
saleen322

Another vote for Ultradot. You have to spend a lot more money to get something better.
Old February 15, 2015, 07:34 PM   #14
OkieCruffler

I have a BSA RD20CP (basically same size as a bushnell TRS-25 but half the price) on my 22-45. Laugh if you want but it had the smallest and most distinct dot I could find. And batteries last FOREVER. I wouldn't drop it on any of my 357's but for the 22 it works great.
Old February 15, 2015, 07:52 PM   #15
mxsailor803

I had a Burris Fast Fire II on my MKI and I shot rimfire steel competitions with it for a couple years. It may be a little more expensive but I liked it a lot.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:59 AM   #16
Nail Shooter

C-More is a good one and you can buy diff moa dot projectors for it. Tasco tube type dot is also amazingly good for not much money.
Old February 17, 2015, 06:53 AM   #17
Mobuck

You'll find that quality has other features beyond recoil resistance. Such things as dot clarity and adjustment precision are important regardless of caliber on which the optic is mounted.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:35 PM   #18
Gunfixr

More expensive optics tend to be clearer, and on red dots, the size will be more true to advertised size, and sharper, less "fuzzy".
If for competition, go smaller dot and higher quality, you will not regret it. I, and everybody else, ran tube dots when I shot bullseye.
For plinking, it's up to you.
However, after years of trying to buy as cheap as possible, I have found the hard way that usually there is just no satisfaction, only varying degrees of dissatisfaction.
And a drawer full of cheap red dots.
Old February 17, 2015, 05:22 PM   #19
Snyper

If accuracy is what you want, moreso than speed, you'd be better off with a low power scope rather than a dot.

If you buy a dot, you may as well go ahead and buy a good one, since later on you may want to use it on different guns

I have an original Aimpoint 1000 I bought in the 80's that has been on 5 or 6 guns, both rifles and handguns up to 44 Mag, and it's still working like new.

It's currently mounted on a 10/22 for nighttime predator control
Old February 17, 2015, 06:19 PM   #20
zachattack2

The best for a pistol is a reflex sight.

It has the open view you need for a pistol.
But if you want a little better accuracy get the Bushnell TRS-25

Last edited by zachattack2; February 17, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 17, 2015, 07:49 PM   #21
StrutStopper

Another vote for the Bushnell TRS-25.
Old February 18, 2015, 01:07 AM   #22
mauiglide

I used to have my Aimpoint Micro H-1 red dot sight on my S&W Model 41 but took it off to move over to my Ruger Take Down rifle. I also have a Ultradot Matchdot on my Mark III Hunter pistol. It is good quality and priced great.
Old March 8, 2015, 08:47 PM   #23
CTL11

I have a 22/45 lite and I got a Bushnell First Strike for Christmas. I haven't shot it a lot, but so far I like it. My friend has the Bushnell TRS-25 on his 22/45 and I like it too. It just seems a bit heavier and you feel it more on top.

I just ordered the Volquartson trigger for mine from MidwayUSA on sale and can't wait to get it installed. With my SilencerCo. Spectre II the gun is just so fun to shoot.