The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 15, 2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Hoverboy26

New .17 HMR Semi-Auto Rifle, Check It Out!

I saw these, and am contemplating buying it, along with the pistol. The clips are interchangeable with a 9 shot capacity. They look nice!

http://www.excelarms.com/acceleratorrifle.html

I am a .17 HMR fan, it is what I use on prairie dogs and other small varmints. The Savage 9317 BVVS is what I use now with a 3-9x40 scope from Cabela's. It will do pretty accurate head shots out to 200 yards. Jackrabbits don't like it either.

Anyway, I am going to look at one of these over the weekend, and may come home with a matching pair.

-RC
Old September 15, 2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Scorch

Hey, that looks cool! Looks like it might shoot pretty well, too. Let's see groups and pics when you try it out!
Taylor Machine
Old September 15, 2006, 01:52 PM   #3
springmom

Pretty heavy rifle for only an 18" barrel and polymer to boot. Would this be for the range or for hunting?

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 15, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Hoverboy26

I would buy it for hunting. It would definitely get a work out at the range to sight it in, but then varmints beware! The dealer I contacted said he will throw in a pile of Hornady .17 HMR Express ammo, my favorite!

Scorch, I will be sure to post some pictures of my target, if I get it. I've got some $$ burning a hole in my pocket, so I will more than likely get them.

-RC
Old September 15, 2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Ian2005

As he should for a $500 .17 rifle
Old September 15, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

It's a very "clean" look. Wonder how it shoots/functions...
Old September 15, 2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

It is a good looking rifle.

The basic price isn't too bad, but package deal P2 looks to be a little on the crazy side. $140 additional for rings, a nylon sling and swivels? Oh wait, they also include a BSA scope. Like I said, $140 for rings, a nylon sling and swivels??
Old September 16, 2006, 12:00 AM   #8
dragonfire

Id check over at rimfire central because people are having a lot of problems with the excel rifles.
Old September 18, 2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Hoverboy26

I got one! My dealer gave me a smoking deal! I got the .17 HMR pistol as well, and he threw in the extra .22 Mag barrel, and an extra magazine(3 total for the pistol, 1 in the rifle, which are interchangeable)! He also let me buy all the ammo I wanted for it at 1/2 price with the purchase! I will fire it next weekend, and see how it does. He did emphasize that I need to make sure I shoot the 20gr 17 HMR Horady Express ammo in it for the most reliability, not the 17gr. Apparently, they don't like the 17gr bullets, the casing is not as sturdy on these rounds. This was the info that he got from Excel, and from his personal experience. He said he will stand behind it, if I have any problems. He also emphasized that they need to be cleaned often to perform well. I will post how it shoots.

-RC
Old September 18, 2006, 05:44 PM   #10
BUSTER51

When you can buy a new Bushmaster 20 inch A2 for $649.00 I just don't see that thing as a value .no flame just an observation.
Old September 18, 2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Hoverboy26

Hey BUSTER51,

The Bushmaster has it's purpose, this one has it's purpose. If I was limited to just a couple of guns, I probably would not own this. But, it's fun to experiment. I just liked the way it looks and feels. I like to try new things, and fire many different weapons. It may turn out to be a piece of crap, but it also may turn out to be my favorite little prairie dog eliminator.

-RC