The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2000, 09:11 AM   #1
Chris Bowie

Been given some sierra 300 gn jacketed flat nosed hollow points and cannot find load data using Winchester 748 powder. anyone come accross load data for this weight pill and this powder? .....Chris Bowie
Old October 13, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
HankL

Chris, You pose a good question. Most reloading manuals can only offer suggestions on the 4 to 6 choices of powder that really work in a given combination. The 45/70 loading data requires that you specify what you are loading it for. There is a bit of difference between a Springfield Trapdoor and a Ruger #1. You could probably work up a load using Bullseye or Primadet but why not try the proven recipes? W-748 just isn't going to be great. The bullets that you have should be fine.
HTH
Old October 14, 2000, 07:54 AM   #3
JMC

Chris,

As previously stated, the loads for the different types of actions that chamber the .45-70 differ greatly.

W748, while being a favorite of mine for other cartridges, isn't optium for the .45-70 ctg. In fact I couldn't find one load listed in 4 manuals that I have.

I'm loading a 300gr. Nosler PAR for my Ruger #1S w/IMR 4198 and have found it to be very accurate in my Ruger. H4198 also works very well but the data isn't interchangeable with the IMR powder.

Consult the various manuals available for charge weights for your particular rifle/action.

------------------
Jim - NRA Life Member

"The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others"

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html
Old October 14, 2000, 09:14 AM   #4
Chris Bowie

G'day there !!! Thanks hankL and JMC for your comments.... it was remiss of me not to explain the actual rifle I wanted to use the load for. its the Marlin lever Action.... i've used it with W748 with 405 gn cast bullets for both hunting(boar abd goat) and for Long Range rifle in Cowboy action Match.
Ive used other powders(many) in this and other 45/70 s over the years but a big thing about 748 for me in Australia is the reliability of supply....some imported powders "disappear" from the market from time to time which is frustrating.....enough to send a man back to blackpowder!!!!!!
My manuals also fail to show 748 for lighter bullets like the 300 and 350 gn......but thought it worth the ask..... thanks again for your comments.
Old October 14, 2000, 09:42 AM   #5
Randy Garrett

Chris, 748 is just a little too slow for use with 300-grain 45-70 bullets. With heavier bullets such as 400-grain or 500-grain bullets it does surprisingly well, and, even though it won't give you the maximum velocity possible, it generally provides excellent accuracy with velocities only about 100-fps below what would be called max. Given the legitimate concerns these days of magazine detonation in the 45-70, with another brand of commercial ammo, coming up just a little short of maximum makes sense, and has little or nothing to do with actual impact effect.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old October 14, 2000, 10:29 AM   #6
MADISON

I've been there and dun that with a Ruger #3 in 45/70. The best powder I came up with was between 20 and 25 grains of Alliant 2400. The 45/70 is not a tack-driver but, got consistant groups the side of a styrofome coffe cup.
Old October 14, 2000, 11:16 AM   #7
Randy Garrett

Madison, you might want to try some slower burning powders such as Reloder-7 or 2015. I shoot my Ruger #1 a lot, and it invariably wants to group 400-grain class cast bullets into less than 1-inch at 100-yds. Of course the gun is scoped, and fired from a proper benchrest position, but those guns are tack drivers! Good shooting!

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old October 14, 2000, 05:27 PM   #8
JMC

Madison,

Here is the very first group using the Nosler 300gr. PAR bullet out of my #1/.45-70.
1" exactly at 100 yds. and it will shoot better! This is with a Leupold 1.5-5X Vari-X III scope on 5X.

------------------
Jim - NRA Life Member

"The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others"

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html