The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 9, 2006, 04:15 PM   #1
SquattingDog

Different Kinds of 9mm Handguns

So I went to the shooting range with my old man yesterday (I'm only 20) and I got to shoot my first 9mm pistol. Prior to that I have only shot a .22. Here's my question, at the range I shot a Sig Sauer 229 9mm. What other kinds of pistols that are 9mm are a lot different then the Sig Sauer? I know it sounds pretty stupid because they all shoot a 9mm bullet but are there any 9mm handguns that feel or something almost entirely different.

Sorry if I sound like a lunatic but I'm competely new to handguns and I feel like I'm already competely obessed.

Last edited by SquattingDog; September 9, 2006 at 04:16 PM. Reason: edit some info
Old September 9, 2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Action_Can_Do

Every handgun has a unique feel to it. Everything from grip angle to recoil spring strength to weight makes a difference.
Old September 9, 2006, 04:40 PM   #3
mjrodney

You are only 20 with a lifetime ahead of you.

You are already obsessed.

You must now prepare.

Go out and buy the biggest, the largest, the most jumbo gun safe you can find.

'Cause now it begins.
Old September 9, 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Glockamolie

Here's a good way to see the variety available: Go to www.gunbroker.com. Click on the semi-auto pistol section, under Firearms on the left. Then just type in "9mm" in the search bar (it's like ebay, but for guns ). You'll see the huge selection. Heck, there are even a few revolvers in 9mm. Beware that when most say "9mm", they mean 9mm Parabellum, also known as 9mm Luger. There are other forms of 9mm out there that are less common.

There are some really small 9mms, like a Keltec P11, or the Kahr PM9. These will both fit in a front pocket. They go from there all the way up to full size, like the Sig 226, a Glock 17, Beretta 92, or a S&W 5906. They feel different, point different, and carry different. A 9mm is a good place to start, as the ammo is cheap.
Old September 9, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
FS2K

Gunbroker.com is a great suggestion.

You'll see a good selection of different types of 9MM's there.
Old September 9, 2006, 06:10 PM   #6
rsmithsss

You're gonna be a little disappointed as you look around, since you've already fired one of the best 9-s around.

Beretta 92G 9mm
SW1911PD .45
Ruger Security Six 6" .357
Ruger P345 .45ACP
Romanian WASR-10 AK47
Benelli Super Black Eagle 12ga SS
SW LS60 .357
Ruger .22 Race Rifle LE
Kel-Tec P3AT .380
Benelli B76 9mm
Remington 870 Tactical Green
Sig 229SL-no rail
Old September 9, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
orionengnr

Quote:
You're gonna be a little disappointed as you look around, since you've already fired one of the best 9-s around.
Now, that is a matter of opinion, and there as many of those as there are stars in the sky.

Like women, dogs, and cars, there are a lot of them out there. If you let someone else convince you which is "best" in any of these categories, you will likely regret it.

Best of all, is, you can (without guilt, undue expense, or legal encumberment) possess a fair number of different guns.
Old September 9, 2006, 06:47 PM   #8
'75Scout

No you don't sound stupid, whats important is that you want to learn. I'm 20 also and can't wait until I can buy my own handguns. You started with my favorite manufatcurer. I love anything from Sig.

Most manufacturers make a 9mm pistol and most make many different sizes. For instance, there's Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Glock, H&K, Beretta, Smith&Wesson, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Taurus, CZ, EAA, FN. There are many other brands out there, but I just can't think of them right now. Most make very good weapons. 9mm is one of the most popular pistol rounds on the face of the planet and most reputable manufacturers make more than one 9mm model.

Now you need to start saving your money and doing research to find what you want.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:54 PM   #9
918v

This one makes a Ruger P85 look good:

Old September 10, 2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Te Anau

Quote:
I beg to differ with that.I dont like Sigs in general except for my TZ-99,which is an improved & hence superior Sig.Try a Smith & Wesson SW9VE if you want to feel what superior ergonomics are all about.
Old September 10, 2006, 02:24 PM   #11
SquattingDog

Thanks guys for all the help its really appreciated!
Old September 10, 2006, 04:10 PM   #12
springmom

There are a lot of options. The XD-9 comes to mind. I have an XD in .40 and it shoots quite a bit more easily, IMO, than my husband's Sig in .380. Bersa makes a 9mm version of their Thunder, which is engineered differently than the Sig, IIRC. Go to www.galleryofguns.com and use their gun locator to look at different nines.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the addiction.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 10, 2006, 05:22 PM   #13
brett30030

Find a local range or gun club, see what you can borrow or rent. Ask a lot of questions (only believe 25% of what you hear, the rest is boasts, biases, and verbatim regurgitation of others opinions). Ignore the sniping of the wash women who argue over "what I have is the best". Enjoy one of a few activities that are not only fun, but can also protect you and your love ones. Don't get in a rush to buy a gun, take your time and enjoy the chase!
Old September 10, 2006, 09:34 PM   #14
poortrader

Find one that fits your hand well.

NRA Life Member
Old September 10, 2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Poohgyrr

Handle and shoot as many as you can. I'd suggest beginning with a Hi Power or S&W.

Old September 11, 2006, 08:02 AM   #16
Qwiks draw

Howdy. If you like SIGs,stay with SIGs. If all your pistols have the same manual of arms and operate the same way,then you don't have to remember under duress which way the controls work.Considering SIG has a different size frame for defense carry one can tailor fit what you need.Simplicity is a good thing.Training is that mucheasier on you.All my Ruger P series operate the same way with decockers only. SIGs are similar in that way with a few exceptions. Single stack or double stack magazines.What is the niche you want each type you buy to fill? I have smaller pistols for discreet carry. I should have taken commenality in the controls issue a little more seriously. Nothing terrible mind you,but I have to practice taking the pistol off safety when I didn't with the other firearms. It could potentially get me in trouble in a real world fight. The only documented case of a civilian not taking the safety off was a Walther toting jeweler who drew on a criminal who was drawing his revolver at the same time to rob the store. In the heat of battle and in dire stress,the owner on film draws his weapon and you can hear the twice clicking Walther and then the criminal shoots the jeweler several times. Luckily, the jeweler lived and recovered. Having held people at gunpoint I want common controls on as many of my pistols as possible. Since at the time I had a revolver in all cases safetys were obviously not a problem.But latches opening the cylinder are,if reload were needed. All the revolvers are the same makes.No do I push ,pull, or press in problems here. So try a bunch of different makes and models and take the one that suits you.Good luck.
Old September 11, 2006, 03:46 PM   #17
Bigfatts

Quote:
Try a Smith & Wesson SW9VE if you want to feel what superior ergonomics are all about.
Then try a CZ 75 if you want to feel what supreme ergonomics are about .
Old September 11, 2006, 04:39 PM   #18
swk314

I'm glad you're interested in shooting. The sport needs young shooters. I have owned several pistols, my first being the Sig 229 in 9mm. I absolutely love this pistol. Accurate, reliable not a single problem. In my opinion it is probably one of the best pistols produced. That's not to say that their aren't any other good pistols out there. Glocks are accurate, reliable, fun to shoot and one hell of a self defense pistol. I just got a Springfield XD-.40. Another great gun. CZ makes a good pistol, Beretta 92 is a great 9mm. You're best bet would be to go to a gun shop and just ask questions and read books. Every gun is different ranging from recoil, grips, bore axis, and the type of action it uses. What works for one person may not work for another. like has been stated before, guns are addicting. Once you get that first one, you will immediately find yourself looking for another.
Old September 13, 2006, 11:38 AM   #19
krieger11b

I think the best suggestion here are the High Power, although get a FN High Power not a Browning one. Same exact thing just gets rolled a different stamp and only has one variation, or get a 1911 in 9mm. The 1911 is fun shooter in 9mm. The grip angle and single action trigger make it easy to hold and shoot. Of course I have also never heard a dissatisfied 9mm CZ-75 owner either. Those I mentioned can all get 22 conversions for cheap fun shooting. Unless you are going to conceal carry I would stick with all steel guns. Avoid the Glocks too, grip angle sucks, and there is no excuse for the lame sights on it.
Old September 13, 2006, 11:49 AM   #20
reils49

no two guns will feel or shoot exactly the same. my advice is to try out as many different styles as you can. and dont limit yourself only to 9mm, try it all. then once you find one that suits you, take it home. or you can do what i do, and try to take them all home. this will work as long as your wife doesnt find out
Old September 13, 2006, 11:53 AM   #21
reils49

i agree with krieger, I am a happy owner of a cz model 75.
Old September 13, 2006, 11:56 AM   #22
rellascout

I own or have owned Sigs P225/P226/P228/P239 CZ75/CZP01 HK USP Fullsized etc...... you get the picture in like 9mms. In 9mm the Browning HI Power is my favorite by far.
Old September 13, 2006, 08:32 PM   #23
varoadking

The S&W Model 39 has the best ergos and shortest reset of any 9mm I am familair with...

No longer made - you'll have to find a used one - roughly $300 Clean to $450 NIB.