The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2000, 03:11 PM   #1
Gunslinger

Here's the deal. I'm in the market for a quality, fast, progressive reloader for metallic cartridges. But the catch...
About a year ago I purchased a NIB Dillion 1050 from Dillion. I was reloading for a the local commercial reloader (gun show/shop supplier) for $20 per one thousnad rounds loaded, with intentions of reloading my own ammo as well. The 1050 was junk! I was able to load 1500+ rounds per hour on the local reloaders 14 year old 1050 but had nothing but trouble with my own. He (the reloader) tried to use my 1050 with no success. I called Dillion. They, in Dillions typical excellent customer service fashion, had me return the loader and replaced it free of charge including paying for the shipping. The new loader arrived and was.......junk. Same problems and I will never purchase another Dillion reloader again.
Now this is not a thread to discuss the relative merits of Dillion reloaders. The above is offered only to illustrate that regardless of what out standing luck others have had with their Dillions they are simply not an option for me personally.
That said, I need recommendations for a good, progresive reloader...cost no object reloader as long as it is dependable and it will load ammo you would be willing to hand to your best buddy to shoot.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 8, 2000, 04:22 PM   #2
beemerb

I have no experence with 1050 but I have loaded on the 650 and didn't like it.Do you know anyone with a 550B?I have had no problems at all with mine and I can load about 500 rds an hr.It is just a sugestion but if you can play with one might be worth trying.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 9, 2000, 12:34 AM   #3
Gunslinger

Thanks Bob. Actually the same reloader I mentioned in my opening post has a 550 that works very well. But I have promised myself that I will not pay any more money to Dillion and am wanting a faster progressive reloader.
Dillion left me with a very bad taste.
Old October 9, 2000, 12:43 AM   #4
El Rojo

Well, I guess I won't tell you that I love my RL 550B and have had no problems with it. Great reloader.
Old October 9, 2000, 02:01 AM   #5
beemerb

The only other one I have heard good things about is the RCBS piggyback.I haven't used one so It's not firsthand.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 10, 2000, 02:19 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the 1050 Dillon. I have little experience with any progressive but the 550B and have loved it for the past nine years.

I have HEARD that the Hornady progressive is a fine product, but, again, no personal experience.

Best of luck.

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old October 11, 2000, 12:04 AM   #7
taco

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the Dillon machine. Just what kind of problems did you have? I have 3 Dillon presses and they are very reliable. I'm thinking about getting a 550B for rifle caliber.
Old October 11, 2000, 01:18 PM   #8
JoeHatley

Gunslinger,

You may want to check out an RCBS Pro 2000.

Midway even has it on sale this month for $320. Current issue of Shooting Times has a very positive review.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old October 11, 2000, 02:28 PM   #9
Good Guy

My advice is call Dillon and tell them your 1050, in your opinion is a POS. Ask them if they will credit you full value after returning it towards a 550B and accessories. I have a hunch they will oblige you.

No complaints here with my 550B. I'd recommend it if the realistic output of 350 to 400 rounds per hour meets your needs. Some claim higher per/hr rates, but I'm never in that big of a hurry.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old October 11, 2000, 04:41 PM   #10
Henry P

Gunslinger
1500 rounds per hour works out to about $30/hr. I don't think you could match that rate with the pro2000 from rcbs, but I like mine. Might want to consider a used Star, if you can find one. I hear you can even automate them, and when they are running right they are one of the best(so I've heard). good luck and maybe that advice about going back to Dillon until you are satisfied may be worth considering. Your friend's works great, they should be able to get yours working as well.
Old October 12, 2000, 03:12 PM   #11
Chris McDermott

I love my RCBS 2000, not having to mess with primer tubes makes it a joy for me and my fumble fingers. Having the fifth die position to be able to use a seperate crimp and Lyman "M" expansion die was the other big reason that I went with RCBS instead of a Dillon 550B.
You're the first person I've heard of that had trouble with Dillons though, call them again and find out what's wrong. The 1050 is the semi-commercial model that comes with dies etc. already setup & adjusted by Dillon; so I really don't understand what's going wrong for you unless the shipping company is dropping the box and ruining the adjustments somehow.