The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 7, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Spark

Need 1911 Holster Help - lefty problems, dropping the mags!

I've been carrying with a G-Code holster for several years now, and have transitioned from my USP for daily carry, to my 1911.

Unfortunately, I'm running into a serious problem - the holster is pressing down on my enlarged magazine release and dropping the magazines when I sit in my car.

One of the reasons I have an enlarged mag release is because I'm left handed - it's a lot easier for me to drop the mag with my middle finger with a large release than with a smaller one, and speeds up my reloading time; when I'm not firing, my fingers are still to either side of it, so there's no danger of accidentally releasing it.

On THR I got some snarky answers like "you should just reinstall the standard release and learn to deal with it"

I tried calling Comp-Tac and Sidearmor and neither of them could help me out.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I preffer a paddle holster to a belt loop one, kydex to leather, but at this point I'm willing to look at anything.
Old September 7, 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
tech

Have you thought about a IWB holster? I would think that would solve your problems.

Mike
Old September 7, 2006, 04:27 PM   #3
tydephan

I carry my 1911 in a fobus holster. I am a lefty, but I don't have a big mag release.

I'm not exactly sure how far from the holster the mag release sits. I'll take a look at it when I get home, as it is not my normal carry gun.

I've never had a problem with the mag release catching while wearing it though. The Fobus holster is kydex or some sort of polymer. Very strong. I like mine a lot and they are fairly inexpensive, if you are like me and just buy to try. ($20 to $30 typically)