The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2000, 11:44 PM   #1
Coolray

I went to a discount store today to get some bullets for my 9mm I wanted 125gr RN TMJ No big deal,Right well sales guy tried to sell me some 125 gr JHP for a .38/.357 I use that bullet for those calibers, However being new I thought if the 9mm and .38 were the same is would say on the box or something, I know the 9mm diameter is .355 and the .38 is .357 seems like they are not the same to me besides if I loaded the JHP .357 dia would it feed in my 9mm would OAL be the same? I'm looking for a different store to do business....Unless he's right. Thanks for all the advice TFL is a great place.
Old September 29, 2000, 07:01 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Nope, he's wrong.
Find a better store. One with Dillon and Redding equipment for sale...

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old September 29, 2000, 08:21 AM   #3
johnwill

"Stupid sales guy" is the correct assessment, he is wrong. :-) While smaller bullets will shoot in a larger barrel, accuracy will suffer. Shooting larger bullets in smaller barrels causes pressures to shoot through the roof, and frequently also through your hand.
Old September 29, 2000, 09:11 AM   #4
Coolray

I thought as much, I may be new to Handloading but I'm not stupid, I figured if they were both the same they would have the same Diameter. Thanks for keeping this rookie safe.
Old September 29, 2000, 12:25 PM   #5
El Rojo

I hate city type gun stores. They are usually complete morons and their prices are way too high. They thrive off of their fellow "don't know jack about real shooting, but I talk like I do" urban dwellers. You will find these types using a knife to put a cross in the tips of their soft point bullets and spending an arm and a leg for any and all types of accessories for their SKS or shotgun. It is best to avoid these types of subspecies whenever possible. It is much better to simply talk to them through the safe medium of The Firing Line Message Boards.

[This message has been edited by El Rojo (edited September 29, 2000).]
Old October 1, 2000, 05:02 PM   #6
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Rojo:
It is much better to simply talk to them through the safe medium of The Firing Line Message Boards. [/quote]

Very funny. True, but very funny anyway.

Old October 2, 2000, 12:34 AM   #7
Clark

I have seen guys who own the place, have invented a dozen wildcats, and are building benchrest rifles for people who win, as well as doing odd ball experements.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have seen guys talk down to me, and who know as little as I do.
Old October 2, 2000, 10:09 AM   #8
Cheapo

Such substitution can be done with caution, but it's a total crap shoot on using the cannelure as your crimp point.

This was more frequently done by some load developers in the very early days of the .357 SIG, when .355 124-gr bullets designed for above 1200 fps impact velocities were rare.

Your Stupid Sales Guy is wrong as you described his "oh, no problem" approach to the substitution. With cautions, it's okay. .355 to .357 oversize is far less of a "jump" than the .308 to .312 difference which many people used to play with in substituting bullets between the U.S. .30 calibers and the .303 Brit and 7.62x39.

Remember, Lapua makes .309 bullets to boost accuracy in slightly worn barrels nominally made for .308 pills.

And yes, I've fired .357s in 9mm and .309s in .308 bores.
Old October 2, 2000, 03:45 PM   #9
Imbroglio

I remember reading in one of the Duncan Long books that there was a police department that was stuck with a number or 158gr LRN bullets for loading in .38/.357 after they switched to 9mm. One of the guys that ran the range loaded them in 9mm without problem. YMMV though.

One time I tried loading 90gr Speer TMJ 9mm bullets in a .357 to see if I could break the 2000 fps mark. Unfortunately, I shot my Chrony before I could check the velocity and the test rounds I fired left cases stuck in the chambers. Had to abandon that experiment.
Old October 2, 2000, 06:00 PM   #10
Cheapo

Imbroglio:

Hmmm...I was present when a friend popped off a progressive series of 9mm loads with 90s and Bullseye. In a full-size arm to remain nameless lest someone try to duplicate this feat, he quit at some number slightly above 1500 fps.

MANY classic pressure signs indicating the BRASS was being seriously stressed! With what I have heard since regarding brass failure, I *believe* the cases I examined that day had survived about 60,000 PSI.

We were lucky that the chronograph survived. And the gun. And his fingers...