The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2000, 09:00 PM   #1
HankL

Friends and gentle folks,
I reload so that I can produce the ammuniton that I require to feed my assorted firearms.
Some of my firearms I shoot often and others infrequently but I can maintain a supply of ammo by building my own ammo.

I have more than a few firearms and I have worked up at least one load for each and every one. My favorites, the ones that will digest many a recipe with accuracy, have entire cookbooks devoted to them. To try and develop the perfect load for a particular firearm is a true quest.

Enjoy reloading, it is an art as well as a science at our level.

Be Safe
Old August 29, 2000, 09:56 PM   #2
BIGR

I will second that HankL. It is a feeling of acomplishment to make My own ammo and to know that I took game animals with the ammo that I made. Also a whole lot cheaper on the pocket book. Also the the anti's ever get their way they will tax ammo to death. Thats when we can sit back and make our own.
Until next time have a blast.......
Old August 30, 2000, 11:17 AM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I don't care so much about the cost savings. I handload because factory ammo is a compromise. I want tackdriving accuracy out of all of my guns, and I get better results with my home cookin' than anything ever put out by FedRemWin. Besides, I know that all my charges will be within .1gr (trickling is a pain, but the results are worth it). Consistency... that's the key.

Loading is 25% science, 25% art, 50% voodoo.
Old August 30, 2000, 11:49 PM   #4
Clark

I reload to get further into the gun experience.

If I owned one gun: 30-06, and shot 5 practice shots every fall and one shot into a deer, I would not need to relaod.

But I buy lots of guns at every gun show. I fix broken guns. I add on accesories. I shoot every week as a religion.

I now reload 25 calibers. I am a lousy shot and getting worse. I cannot see a 1" dot at 100 yards WITH my glasses. I reload to get powerful stuff. +P+++ is my style.

I like my 44mag. It kicks. The store bought 44 ammo is a joke. My 44 ammo kicks hard.

Why am I typing in this damn computor, when I should be reloading and shooting?
Old September 2, 2000, 04:52 AM   #5
Hal

Honestly, I wonder why everyone doesn't handload or reload? Since the manufacture of arms is so regulated, the only real sense of accomplishment left to most of us is to make your own ammo. Buying a case of .45acp factory ammo is fine for some, but I usually look at the brand and decide if I want the brass or not, ya know? I can get PMC ammo for a decent price, but the brass isn't right for my reloading, so I pass in favor of something else. S&B has worked great for my .45acp loads in my Kimber, and I would buy their factory loads (and I do) just to get the brass! Hmmm, I think I'll ask the general non-reloader why they haven't gotten into reloading.
Old September 2, 2000, 06:24 AM   #6
Snow Man

I don't reload yet, but have been considering it. The only caliber I'd reload right now is 9mm. Ammo's cheap for it. If (when?) I ever get something in .357 or .45 then I'd jump in to reloading quicker since their ammo's more expensive. I've saved all the 9mm brass I've shot that I could find! Enjoy your reloading! Be careful with those +P+++ loads though, Clark!

------------------
...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
Old September 3, 2000, 12:47 PM   #7
Desert Dog

I reload because it is FUN! Also, combining reloader time with chrono time and the fun goes up exponentially. I love it when my handloads have a lower standard deviation than the factory stuff!!!

I am a firm believer that factory loads are weak in comparison to my handloads. My favorite handloads are for .45 ACP/Super. These +P+ loads are simply not obtainable due to the fact the factories do not want the liability of someone shooting them in an ancient 1911, or a gun with an unsupported chamber.

Also, bullet weight selection simply is not there... Take for instance factory loads for .41 magnum... If you want something other than 170 or 215/220 grain loads, you are simply out of luck.

Yeah, handloading is a blast...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old September 5, 2000, 03:33 PM   #8
NRC

I reload because my Dad reloads. I reload because few my age do (I'm 28), and in another 20 years even fewer people will. I reload for the craftsmanship of it, of taking the time to do something slowly, and correctly, and at a higher standard than is commercially available.
Old October 2, 2000, 11:22 AM   #9
*Cag

I reload so that I can get ammo that is customized for my rifle. All the perfect combinations for accuracy and velocity. I enjoy almost as much as I enjoy shooting it.

Best of luck....Cag