The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2000, 09:49 AM   #1
Coolray

Hi All,
back again for some Info Enjoying the new hobby,but I want to load for my .44spl and before I go and buy new dies a buddy has dies for the .44mag.he said that you just screw them down a little more, is this correct? Money is not an issue,my friend does not own the .44 mag and just wants to give them to me,but because I'm so new to handloading I do not want to use the dies just because "It'll work" "Good Enough" is not good enough for me. I'd rather buy new dies that are made for the .44spl I just want to be safe......I still got all my fingers and I plan to keep it that way
Old September 28, 2000, 10:55 AM   #2
griz

The 44 mag dies will work fine. Many times they are marked 44 spcl/mag. Just make sure you set up the seater die to crimp the shorter case.
Old September 28, 2000, 02:45 PM   #3
Hutch

Griz is right. The only thing you gotta do is adjust for the shorter case. I hope they're carbide dies. In any case, the price is right.
Old September 28, 2000, 02:54 PM   #4
Paul B.

At one time, most die makers made dies for .44 Spl.and dies for .44 magnum. As we all know, the .44 Spl. dies could be adjusted to load .44 magnum, but the .44 magnum dies could not be adjusted to load .44 Spl. You could get away with the sizing die and maybe the expander die, but you could not get the seating die down far enough to crimp the .44 Spl.
Seeing as the dies will be free, It won't hurt to try them, and if they will adjust to load the specials fine. If not, you can still go and buy the proper die set.
For what it's worth, I made spacers out of some Delrin rings I had so that I would not have to adjust my .44 Spl. dies to do .44 magnums. I figure most of us here know that little trick, but I mention it in case there are newbies watching.
Paul B.
Old September 28, 2000, 11:27 PM   #5
Coolray

Great! They are RCBS carbide dies I was going to accept them anyway I wanted an expierenced opinion. I'll check it out when I load some this weekend. Are 9mm and .38 spl diameter's the same?
Old September 29, 2000, 07:03 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Finish your loads using the Redding Profile Crimp die. Accuracy will improve.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old September 29, 2000, 09:20 AM   #7
tonyz

CoolRay

NO the 9mm and the 38Spl Are differant sizes.
9MM=.355 to .356
38Spl=.357 to .358

Tony Z

------------------
Match grade Bullets at Kmart prices
http://www.xmission.com/~chad/egs/co...hard_cast.html

also for gun accessorys.
http://gungoodies.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited September 29, 2000).]