The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2000, 12:19 PM   #1
buzz_knox

I have never reloaded in my life but am interested in getting started. Any advice on how to go about doing that? Should I learn from someone else or can I do it on my own?
Old September 18, 2000, 12:24 PM   #2
JHS

It is a good idea to have someone show you first. You will make less mistakes and have some one to call for 911s or 411s.
Old September 18, 2000, 02:21 PM   #3
Mikul

Buzz, I learned on my own on a 550B. I started by reading the Lyman manual, and then bought the gear with copious recommendations from the kind people on this BBS.

Dillon's tech support helped to answer some of my questions as well.

Start with loads well within the safe zone according to your manual(s). Your first couple hundred rounds will answer most of your questions.

Of course, I am blessed with the ability to learn almost anything from a book. Some people work better with a mentor to show them the way. Go with works best for you. There's no shame in asking for help.
Old September 18, 2000, 04:00 PM   #4
Hutch

Get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" by Dean Grennell. Great book, lotsa good tips for the beginner.
Old September 19, 2000, 08:48 PM   #5
JimWolford

Buzz:

IMO, the very best book for a rank beginner is the Lyman Handbook.

They have been around a very long time, in the early '50s when I started out theirs was the only book I knew of and I did not feel the need for anything else at the time.

Of course, they use their own line of tools to illustrate the process, but don't let that influence your purchase of equipment.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old September 20, 2000, 05:46 PM   #6
johnwill

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimWolford:
They have been around a very long time/QUOTE]

So have you Jim!

Old September 21, 2000, 12:47 AM   #7
nickcarr

Slightly off topic guys, but I'm curious as to why you would *want* to reload? What kind of benefits could the average guy see in loading/reloading his own ammo?

And of course the obvious question is it really worth the money to reload? (worthy as defined by - time, money, safety, etc.)
Old September 21, 2000, 08:13 AM   #8
Jack Straw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nickcarr:
Slightly off topic guys, but I'm curious as to why you would *want* to reload? What kind of benefits could the average guy see in loading/reloading his own ammo?

And of course the obvious question is it really worth the money to reload? (worthy as defined by - time, money, safety, etc.)
[/quote]

Why? Because I enjoy it. The benefits are that it is an extension of my shooting. It is time spent doing something that I like. It costs less to shoot reloads so I can shoot more. It is perfectly safe as long as I am careful (just like driving a car). Also, I can create ammo that is tailor made for my guns making it more accurate and therefore even more rewarding when I shoot a tight group. Can you go into a store and buy .308 ammo that shoots 165gr bullets at 1800fps? Nope, and neither can I, but I can go in my garage and make it. What about .30-06 ammo loaded with a 100gr plinking bullet? You can't find that at the stores but I can make that too. What about shooting cast lead bullets in your rifle? Not in the stores either. Reloading allows me to do things that cannot be done with factory ammo.

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a smart@$$ because I don't mean it that way. Forgive me if it comes off like that.

Bottom line...I reload because it is fun and rewarding.

Jack
Old September 21, 2000, 11:02 PM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

To get your start, read the books recommended and ask as many questions as you need to claify comments on this forum.

You will want to look into minimum equipment for your needs--single stage or progressive with all the bells and whistles. Some catalogs and dealers such as Dillon offer a full candy shop of goodies which you may never need, but would not know that from the advertising.

Why reload? Well, I could just say $4.00 per box of 50 rounds for what would cost $7.50 from a professional reloader or $15 from the factory. However, the amount of time taken to examine cases, clean and sort cases, set up the equipment and all may not be all that cheap in terms of time.

However once again, you never have to settle for loads that are not exactly what you want, never need to worry about getting to the store and you have a great excuse to set some quality relaxation time. As Jack Straw says you can experiment with variations not found anywhere else.