The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 29, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1
azurefly

What to do with old ammo -- disposal?

I was cleaning and found random loose rounds (you know the type, cases brownish and discolored, fingerprints, etc.)

I don't care to put them through my guns; so how do I get rid of them?
I've always figured it was irresponsible to just throw them out in the trash. (could be dangerous?)

So, do I take them to a gun shop and ask them to take them off my hands?
Do they take discarded ammunition at police stations?
Do they take it at the household waste facility at the dump where you bring old oil and paint and stuff?

Please tell me where I should bring these loose old rounds. Thanks.

-azurefly
Old August 29, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Bigfatts

They usually have a live round disposal bin at shooting ranges, they usually have it for duds and such. Just drop them in next time you go. Other than that get yourself a bullet puller.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3
oldbillthundercheif

I've shot some nasty old ammo that functioned fine. My buddy had a case split on him one time, but I told him not to shoot that round with the obvious full-thickness corrosion all over the rim and sides of it. If the integrity of the case has not been compromised, discolored rounds w/ fingerprints on them are nothing to worry about.

How old are they?
Old August 30, 2006, 07:15 AM   #4
zippyfusenet

Where I live, the police will take old ammo and destroy it safely.
Old August 30, 2006, 09:47 AM   #5
pesta2

Faulty Ammo Disposal?

I had some really horrible Russian made 22 LR one time. I shoot it out or my 10/22. It was horrible, gummed the action up bad. The guy next to me asked what I was shooting because he could tell by the sound it was very inconsistent ammo. With my pistol it would even fail to extract after a few round and then would fail to fire with a gummed up firing pin. I told a guy a knew and he said he would take them and use them. Now I have a really bad batch of Russian Manuf. 7.62x54R Metal Casing (bought both 7.63 and .22 at guns shows). In both my Nagants 91 and 44, I have tried them. In both rifles on the first shot the cartridge got stuck in chamber and the bolt would not open. I had to take the rifle home and used a brass mallet to hit up (rather hard to) on the bolt to open the action. I have some brass casing that work wonderful in them, no problems at all. The Police do not take it here and there is no place at the gun club to get rid of it. How should I dispose of this ammo? I do not have an inertia puller so can not separate the cartridges in components. I do not feel comfortable pulling out the bullets with a pair of pliers like I have heard of people doing before.

Last edited by pesta2; August 30, 2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
TampaJim

Quote:
Where I live, the police will take old ammo and destroy it safely.
Yep. When my folks downsized from a house to a condo apartment, they had A LOT of stuff that had to go, including some OLD 30-30, 30-06, and 12 ga. ammo in the garage. I called the Sheriff Dept (Hillsborough County FL) and inquired, and they told us they would come right out and pick it up! A coupla Deputies showed up in less than an hour. Took it all off our hands, no muss, no fuss, no worries about where it was going to end up. A really great service!

Jim
Old September 3, 2006, 03:54 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Ammo disposal

Don't wanna shoot it & mess up my gun; don't want to draw the attention of LEO's, don't have a range handy that takes duds off yr hands; don't wanna throw 'em in the dumpster.

Best answer then, is to set them off in a fire--but SAFELY!! How to do that? Dig narrow hole a foot or more deep--a post-hole digger and 2' down would be better yet; arrange a galvanized pipe at an angle leading into the hole; throw a shovelful of glowing-hot charcoal from the hamburger cooker into the hole; then, with eye/ear protection in place, slide the ammo one at a time down the pipe onto the fire, keeping body away from above the hole. The rounds will cook off with a minimum of noise, although NOT silently, and you're done with 'em. Don't worry about the rounds "firing"; the case just ruptures sideways, the bullet doesn't go much of anywhere.

If you've got quite a number of rounds it'd even be worth it to recover the brass after everything has cooled off.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 3, 2006, 04:02 PM   #8
maas

polish them up and make a disply board out of them.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old September 3, 2006, 05:37 PM   #9
dragonfire

Id say bullet puller.
Old September 3, 2006, 10:53 PM   #10
DietCola

Put them in a box and forget about them again. HAHA. But seriously, my range has a can for duds that reloaders empty for the brass so I'd toss it in there. I believe my local PD also takes them but I am wary of "burning them off".
Old September 4, 2006, 12:58 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

big no no on the burning....

A bullet puller is the best possible choice if you cant dispose of them through other channels. A bullet puller can be had for around 10 -15 bucks from all the normal stores (midway, natchez, etc..) and works real slick, plus you can either keep for later use or sell it here or on eBay for about the same price paid new.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old September 4, 2006, 02:20 AM   #12
Edward429451

Run them up into your press in the correct shellholder with no die screwed in and grip the bullet with sidecut pliers (dykes) and lower the ram. They come out pretty easy and little to no danger. The primer isn't going to go bang just sitting in the shellholder.

Few years back before I bought a puller, my orphan round box was getting full and the police did come out and pick them up. Problem was, he kept wanting to drill me on where I got it and come into the house. He acted like he didn't know what reloading meant and wanted to turn it into a fishing expedition...
Old September 4, 2006, 03:04 AM   #13
garryc

Quote:
Problem was, he kept wanting to drill me on where I got it and come into the house. He acted like he didn't know what reloading meant and wanted to turn it into a fishing expedition...
Off Topic

that reminds me of when I let out that I bought 2000 9mm rounds. A guy there who I didn't know overheard and asked why I needed that much ammo.
Turns out he was a cop from Cleveland. I told him it was for my silenced Mac-11. He just about messed his drawers. He said, "That's illegal!!" I told him I had stamps on them. He didn't know you could legally own a full auto.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:51 AM   #14
zippyfusenet

"Few years back before I bought a puller, my orphan round box was getting full and the police did come out and pick them up. Problem was, he kept wanting to drill me on where I got it and come into the house. He acted like he didn't know what reloading meant and wanted to turn it into a fishing expedition..."

I wouldn't invite the police to my house without a good reason.

When I had some old ammo to get rid of, I walked into the police station and offered them at the front desk. The officer on duty took them and never even asked my name.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:57 AM   #15
atlctyslkr

Live near a river or lake?
Old September 4, 2006, 10:31 AM   #16
AAshooter

Maybe he has some other trash he can dump at the same time . . . old tv's . . . couches.