The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2000, 06:53 PM   #1
Pete in CO

Does anyone find that useing small extruded powders like VARGET tend to stick in the metering assembly and require complete dissasembly to wipe out all traces of granules from both the recepticle and the metering adjustment? I completely dissasemble and clean throughly. After reassembly, I set measure at the highest charge setting, and run a pound of the next powder through it. Then I set and throw a charge weighed
to assure proper selection and start loading.
Is the the norm?
Old September 9, 2000, 06:28 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Sounds complicated.

I'll dump the powder out of the top of the hopper & then cycle the charging handle a few times to make sure I've dumped the remaining powder out of the measure.

Worst case, I'll pull the micrometer (mumble) thingie & blow through there to clear it out if there's any doubt (= never).

Zip for probs & use the fine-grained powders every chance I get. Use a lot of W760, 748, H380, etc.
Old September 9, 2000, 08:37 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

"Is [this] the norm?" Not for me. Like labgrade, I think you're making it a little more complicated than you need to.

After using the measure and emptying the hopper, I cycle the handle, tap the measure with a plastic hammer and cycle again and I'm through. I've used almost every type of powder and don't have the problem you describe. I have a feeling you're worrying about appox. .05 grains of powder getting in your next session with a different powder - a false worry, it won't cause any problems.

Another thought is that perhaps the cleaning is what is causing the sticking problem. It is possible to have it too clean, static electricity may be the culprit. A fine coating of powder powder (if that makes sense) is actually a static preventative because most powders have a coating of a carbon compound inhibitor - nitro compounds are clear or yellowish. It's the carbon that gives it the gray or black color.