The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2000, 01:04 PM   #1
EQP

Howdy folks,

I am going to start reloading for .40 cal soon (with a fully supported chamber) and am wondering what powder you folks use. I have reloaded .45 for years and am very happy using Accurate Arms #'s 2 and 5. I have looked through my reloading manuals and all of them have good mid-strength loads utilizing AA#5 so that is what I am leaning towards. What do you folks use? I will more than likely be pushing a 180grn JFP or JHP for midrange power.

Thanks in advance,
Evan
Old August 29, 2000, 04:35 PM   #2
JMC

EQP,

AA#5 will work very well for your .40 loads, I've burned up a good many lbs. in this manner but, I also like Winchester WST for mid-range and low velocity loads. It tends to shoot a little "softer" and is more consistant than AA#5 also.

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html
Old August 30, 2000, 07:10 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Alliant Power Pistol. (Unless you can find WAP.)

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 30, 2000, 07:30 AM   #4
Casey

EQP,

I have had very good luck with Clays. I load both .45 and .40, and this is a very good powder. Burns clean, and you can work your way up from an accurate lighter load to some very strong loads.

Casey
Old August 30, 2000, 07:40 AM   #5
big89foot

I was looking for very mild loads for use in my Glocks. I found that WSF has low pressure with decent velocity.
Old August 30, 2000, 11:35 AM   #6
bedlamite

Iuse either Blue Dot or Universal Clays. If you plan on using 180 gr bullets, avoid the faster powders (where a double charge is possible) and load them to the maximum length that will work in your gun, take a look at: http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old August 30, 2000, 01:08 PM   #7
EQP

bedlamite,

Thanks for the info! That's a very well written site with terrific info. Looks like I will go back to my reloading manuals and look into what powders and charges to use with a 165grn bullet. Looks like I will probably start out with some AA#5 (since I already have some) and then try the WST because I know I can lay my hands on some locally. Thanks for all of the responses!

Evan
Old August 30, 2000, 02:43 PM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

EQP--

What particular pistol are you using n the .40? My experience is limited to my High Power and a friend's Glock 23. I've mostly loaded Universal Clays, under 180 FMJ FPs, lead truncated cone and some SWC. As a note--the older Universal containers show 6.0 gr with 180 jacketed, and I loaded a bunch of those. They were very vigorous. The later containers have backed off to showing 5.5 gr, and this is much more pleasant to shoot. I don't seem to have any chronograph information on those, bu they are plenty for pracice and small game. A buddy who shoots a lot of steel plate matches really likes the 180 lead with 5.0 of Universal and he says his Browning and Glock run fine with this lighter load.

I also loaded a lot of 180s with 6.0 of Unique, but the Universal burns cleaner with lead bullets.

If you want to go for lighter bullets, the same friend uses a 155gr cast with 4.5 gr of WST. I have not shot these myself, but he says they are kinder to his pistols and still clang the plates wih some authority. He claims around 1,000 fps from the Browning Practical with the, what? 4-21/32 inch barrel.

You CAN make a barn burner out of the .40, but there's no use in over-stressing the machinery.

Best,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old August 30, 2000, 03:34 PM   #9
petej88

Both Universal and Power Pistol work great in .40 S&W. With Oregon Trail silver bullets and West Coast plated bullets, you can make IPSC major power easily with 5.1 grains of Universal or 6.1 grains of Power Pistol. And that's with my 4" Steyer pistol barrel.

note: Power pistol also works great for maximum power 357 SIG loads in case you go that route as well.

good luck and have fun

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~petej55

[This message has been edited by petej88 (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old August 30, 2000, 03:57 PM   #10
EQP

Johnny,

I will be shooting these loads out of a Glock 35 which has a 5.31" barrel. The club I shoot at has a Chronny so I will see how some of these loads work. My guess is that with the longer barrel to burn the powder in, the velocity and pressure will rise somewhat. I will just have to start easy and work my way up.

Evan
Old September 1, 2000, 08:15 AM   #11
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

<<< I will just have to start easy and work my way up.

Evan>>>

The very best way, Evan. If every handloader would adhere to that doctrine, there would be far fewer mishaps.

When I accepted the very nice compliment of being named moderator of this forum, I had one main reservation. This was that someone might take something--ANYthing -- I wrote and misconstrue it in such a way that they might suffer an injury.

Your cautious attitude, hopefully emulated by all here-- eases my mind a lot.

All best wishes--
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 1, 2000, 09:48 AM   #12
EQP

Well shucks Johhny,

After 15 years or so of reloading, I still have all of my fingers toes and other bodily parts that I started with and that's because I respect the potential danger of reloading. You can never be too careful with the components that we work with. Especially when you are loading a caliber that is new to you and your firearm. That being said, I think that reloading is a very safe and fun hobby as long as you pay attention to what your doing. Besides after this many years, it seems that I shoot so I can reload more.

Happy reloading,
Evan
Old September 1, 2000, 06:34 PM   #13
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed in all particulars, Evan, especially,
Besides after this many years, it seems that I shoot so I can reload more.

A recent shooting enthusiast recntly asked me how much money I SAVE by handloading. I had to admit, probably none at all--I just get a LOT more shooting done for the same amount of money spent.

While I occasionally like to work up new loads for a rifle, I end up doing a lot of running back and forth between range and loading bench. The truth is, I really like to shoot, but cannot afford to shoot large batches of factory ammo.

By far the majority of my loading time is spent in loading handgun ammo that closely duplicates factory ammo. In three matches and at one LE range in the past two weeks. I probably used 400 rounds of handloads, plus rimfires. There's no way I could regularly spend that kind of money on factory stuff.

All the best,
Johnny

[This message has been edited by Johnny Guest (edited September 01, 2000).]