The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2000, 11:21 PM   #1
Steve Smith

First off, I have to say I have a Dillon 550B and this isn't for me!

My buddy has no money, but wants to get started reloading. It looks liks the Lee Aniversark kit is a pretty good set-up for him. Who has the best price on 'em?
Old August 25, 2000, 07:37 AM   #2
Eric of IN

Midway has them for $74.99. That's the cheapest I've seen, but I haven't been looking either. If you don't have the catalog go to www.midway.com and download page 42. You'll need Adobe Acrobat, if you don't have it, I think they have a download link on their site.
Eric
Old August 25, 2000, 08:31 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Best price is $0, because your friend will be much better served by taking his money and buying some quality used equipment, like RCBS.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 25, 2000, 11:18 AM   #4
Bogie

First, what is he loading for?

If he's shooting a bolt-action rifle, his best choice would be a Lee hand press, and Lee collet dies (or, if he wants to go further, a Wilson sizer and seater (hand dies), but that'll set him back about $85 or so).

The Lee scale and measure are good.

Old August 25, 2000, 12:04 PM   #5
Sport45

I bought mine from http://www.factorysales.com and I'd recommend the anniversary kit to any beginning handloader. I've since moved up to a Dillon 550, but I find myself using the single stage quite often. The accessories are also nice to have around (hand primer, scale, powder measure, RELOADING HANDBOOK!,etc.). We knock Lee quite a bit, but Lee has probably started more people reloading than all the others combined. It's fair quality eqipment at a price that just about anybody can afford to spend.

------------------
"An unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Cesare Beccaria, the father of modern criminology

[This message has been edited by Sport45 (edited August 25, 2000).]
Old August 25, 2000, 04:00 PM   #6
Bruegger

Cabela's has them cheap on their web page:
http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts...8AAAnAF/IA690S

LEE ANNIVERSARY RELOADING KIT
ITEM: IA-21-0524
PRICE: $69.99
Old August 25, 2000, 11:03 PM   #7
saands

Actually ... if he gets a Lee Reloading Manual, the back page has an order form that let's you make one order direct form the factory at 60% off (I'm pretty sure about the discount ... a nephew already got mine) of list price if it is to start someone in reloading.
Kudos to Sport45 for mentioning that Lee has made the equipment available for beginners to try ... I still use my Lee hand press and don't understand why someone should feel obliged to cover up their desire to purchase by claiming to be looking "for a friend" ... It is afterall the quality of the ammo that counts!
Best of luck,
saands
Old August 25, 2000, 11:11 PM   #8
El Lobo

Picked up one of these NIB at a gunshow $50.
Old August 26, 2000, 09:39 PM   #9
Steve Smith

saands, I just know that a lot of folks will deride a person for buying a Lee in the first place (Weshoot2 is an example) and I'm trying to avoid that. I bought a Lee Slow 1000 when I first started, and learned to hate Lee progressives...however, I can tell that their single stages will work better (hand priming vs. the Slo 1000 auto primer flattener). I bought a Dillon and haven't looked back, but my friend just can't afford it. Thanks for the info on the coupon...that may be a big help for him.
Old August 27, 2000, 10:32 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Folks,

I started with Lee equipment, too. Still use their dies, case trimmers, primer-pocket tool and chamfer tool.

But I wore the top off two of the hand-primers, broke both presses (Reloader and Challenger) their first sessions, and I'm not a 'ham-fisted moron'.

A high-quality press WON'T break, and can be had used fairly cheaply, as can a scale and powder measure.

Buy RCBS hand-priming tool, some scale weights, Lee dies, and you've spent the same money, but with a lifetime warranty, and the likelihood you won't need to use it.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 28, 2000, 01:50 PM   #11
Bogie

For what it's worth, Sinclair, the mecca of benchrest loading, sells the RCBS primer, the Lee primer, and their own... I see a lot of Lee tools at BR matches.

I use a K&M primer tool, but I got just as good feel from the Lee - I've worn out one Lee, but the innards are for sale separately, and it cost something like $3 to fix it to be like new - Just keep 'em lubed with some bolt grease, and you'll be fine.

I don't really like my Lee O-Frame press - Too much play for my benchrest stuff - but for my varmint loads or .223 blasting ammo, it's just fine.

FWIW, I own a Lee turret, a Lee hand press, the Lee O-frame, an RCBS JR-3, a Redding Boss, and my Sinclair arbor. I like Lee's powder measures (own two Perfects, one pistol measure, and an RCBS Uniflow), and their scales (have two of Lee's, one Dillon beam, and a Pact BBK).

I think I need a bigger loading table...

Old August 30, 2000, 09:56 PM   #12
Steve Smith

Remember, guys...this is just to get hime started...I'm SURE that he'll upgrade (slowly) as he goes, but he just WILL NOT SPEND THE MONEY for better tools.