The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2000, 04:25 PM   #1
rezman

I've been loading for my .45 Colt for some time now and was wondering if commercial hard cast bullets with the bevel base will properly obturate in the bore of my Ruger revolver if I experiment with the heavy loads. It seems that the bevel will alow gas to blow by producing leading and ruining accuracy? Any of you RKI's have any advice/comments?
Old August 25, 2000, 11:03 PM   #2
Watchman

What you are thinking seems logical but in pratical application it has little merit.

I shot shot both and found no difference in the bevel base vs. the straight base other than the fact that the bevel bases are easier to reload, enough so that thats all I use now.
Old August 25, 2000, 11:41 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I believe Watchman is correct - the bevel base shouldn't make much difference. Obturation occurs along the entire length of the bullet if I understand the process correctly. The extreme acceleration of the bullet cause it to shorten just a little. The bullet squeezes even harder against the bore along its entire length not just at the base.
Old August 26, 2000, 07:13 AM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

What Watchman said.
Old August 26, 2000, 12:15 PM   #5
JayDrummond

Shooting hard-cast alloy bevel base 44 mag loads at some 1500 fps and getting only the "standard" lead fouling in a long barrel handgun. Also, the groups are where they need to be. The bullets are marketed as "accurate at jacketed velocities."
Old August 28, 2000, 08:46 AM   #6
Jack Straw

Just make sure your bullets match or exceed your bore (but not by more than .003") and don't even worry about obturation. Chances are that your Ruger will slug out at .451" (find out yourself just to make sure).

I cast for .45Colt using a Magma 250RNFP -with bevel base - and size my bullets at .454". Both of my .45Colt guns (Colt SAA and Rossi 92) have bores of .451, are accurate, and neither leads to any appreciable degree. The large bullet seals the bore before the bevel base even comes into play.

For heavy loads, as long as your bullets are of proper size, bullet hardness would concern me more than the bevel base. Besides, Watchman is right about them being easier to load.

Jack