The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1
FES

Beretta U22 NEOS

I just have one question, will it hurt to dry fire my Beretta Neos. I called Beretta and the tech support guy said to use snap caps (on their web site 20 or $5)every time you have to pull the trigger when you are done shooting or any time there is nothing in the gun. I guess you would have to leave the snap cap in the gun until you cleaned it. I guess I should have bought a Ruger 22.

Thanks
FES
Old August 15, 2006, 03:49 PM   #2
IM_Lugger

you're not supposed to dryfire any rimfire gun.

The firing pin hits the rim of the case to egnite the powder(hense the name) it can/will break if it hits the chamber/barrel too many times.
Old August 15, 2006, 05:33 PM   #3
chupps

I've heard the same thing, don't dry fire any rimfire gun. I do have a couple of questions. Can you use a spent cartridge instead of buying caps? Also, how do you like your Neo?
Old August 15, 2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Mark54g

I have pulled the trigger on an empty chamber (but very very infrequently).

You can use a spent cartridge, but I would not recommend using the same one too often as it will get dinged up.

As inexpensive as .22LR ammo is in bulk, why dry fire? It is already a smooth single action.
Old August 16, 2006, 08:36 AM   #5
IM_Lugger

yes you can use spent brass, but if you want to fire each case more than once, you have to rotate it so the firing pin won't hit the same spot twice. It's better just to get snapcaps.