The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2000, 08:16 AM   #1
Patrick Graham

Using Glock 27 - 40 S&W
180 gr JHP, 6.7 grains Alliant Power Pistol, WSP.

964, 962, 969, 969, 962 FPS. A very managable load in the little Glock 27.

The Alliant manual lists 6.9 grains for 180 FMJ at 1000 plus FPS as max, that load is a real handful in this little gun so I backed it off to 6.7 grain.
Old August 11, 2000, 04:20 AM   #2
Kaliburz

Been staying away from the 180s personally.

So far, this load has worked for me:

155gr Montana Gold FMJFP
CCI 500
7.5 grains of Unique.

Cases and primers looked okay.

(Once I tried a batch w/ 7.7grains....talk about bark...even in the G22...I couldn't control it...must have needed more practice.)
Old August 11, 2000, 11:31 PM   #3
bedlamite

Even though you are not loading them that hot, you may want to load them to the longest OAL that will work in your gun, or try to find a lighter slug. Take a look at: http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old August 12, 2000, 08:25 AM   #4
Patrick Graham

I can see some 165 grainers in my little Glock 27's future.

I just shot a ipsc match with 180's, worked fine but my thumb got knocked about in the recoil.
Old August 12, 2000, 11:15 AM   #5
JHS

Shot the 155gr but going back to the 180's.
Glock 35 for IPSC.
Old August 12, 2000, 09:49 PM   #6
bedlamite

I should have mentioned that I load 180gr lead bullets using 5gr of Universal Clays, and OAL is 1.140 for 1000-1020 fps out of either of my Berettta 96's. However, with polygonal rifling, like the Glock has, you should aonly use plated or jacketed bullets.
Old August 15, 2000, 08:47 AM   #7
Patrick Graham

I curious.
At what point do the loads go KB in a Glock?

I've done 10 plus loads in some of my 40 brass and no KB. I believe the KB is reserved for over charged loads.

I did KB a 1911 several years ago with a double charge of 5.7 grains of WW231 (11.4 gr). It broke the right grip, blew the plunger tube out, broke the hammer pin and blew the remaining rounds down into the mag due to an unsuppported chamber.

I re-peened the plunger tube, changed the grips and put a new hammer pin in. Works great. I don't know if a glock can come back as graciously so I'll be careful not to double them.

Any gun, 1911, glock, or what not with an unsupported chamber will KB with a double load. I'm fact, I'm going out on a limb here, I'd venture to say that any gun could KB with a double chatge.

Old August 15, 2000, 01:15 PM   #8
bedlamite

The simple fact that lead loads are at a much lower pressure saved the 27 of a friend of mine. I could see the gun was out of battery as he fired a shot, fortunately I managed to stop him before he fired again. We looked in the barrel, and there was an incredible amount of lead there, so much that we couldn't properly chamber a round, with only 7 rounds of lead through the gun. If he had kept going without looking, and fired a Full pressure jacketed round from the next magazine, there would have been a KB.

Flintlocks were muzzleloaders that did not have the ability to fire out of battery like Glocks have. Firing only plated/jacketed bullets will prevent the buildup of lead deposits leading to the bullet not seating in the chamber fully. It's not a myth, it's a dangerous fact.

Patrick: Using slower powders that fill the case will prevent a double charge, and will usually give you a the same velocity with a lower pressure. I typically use Blue Dot for full power loads.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old August 15, 2000, 03:15 PM   #9
Patrick Graham

Absolutely..

After the 1911 unsupported chamber KB ( ) I switched to Power Pistol. It uses higher charge weights. Hopefully, now a double charge will be more noticeable in the loading process, like maybe spilling over.. I hope.