The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2000, 07:20 PM   #1
PDshooter

Dose enyone reload with Sellier&Bellot Brass?If so is it good or crap?
Old June 22, 2000, 07:57 PM   #2
doctor j

I just finished reloading and firing 100 rounds of reloads which were composed primarily of once-fired S & B brass. I used Nosler 230 gr FMJ and 5.2 gr of W231. The patterns produced by these rounds were reasonably precise. Brass looked good after I recovered it. Brass looked great after a session in the tumbler with corn cob. I'm just getting back into reloading after a long hiatus, so my experience is limited; however, initial experience with S & B brass is good.

Old June 22, 2000, 08:07 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. S&B brass works OK, but does have tight primer pockets in many lots. Some are very tight. If you do use S&B, particularly in .45ACP, don't use CCI primers as they are just a tad oversized compared to other make large pistol primers. I use S&B for reloading, but resigned myself that primer seating would be a bit tougher with them. The brass seems to last about as well as anything else and I've noted no other "problems." best.
Old June 22, 2000, 08:52 PM   #4
PDshooter

Thanks guys, I should Spec, what CAL, S&B in .223
Old June 23, 2000, 08:25 AM   #5
TexasRusty

I use a lot of the S&B 9mm brass. Some of it I have reloaded over 15 times now and it seems to be performing just fine.

The only problems that I notice with it are: first, as stated above it does tend to have tight primer pockets, but I have not been able to seat primers so I don't worry about it. Second, it is a little heavier and softer that other brass. Becuase of this I use it for target loads but not for any serious shooting.

I would be very careful working up max loads with it unless you were using only S&B brass and then I would start at least 10% below max and work up. The extra thickness could cause excess chamber pressure sooner than other brass.

IMO it is best to work with a single brand of brass and preferably a single lot to work up max loads. This should keep everything consistent enough that no accidents occur.

Rusty
Old June 23, 2000, 10:24 AM   #6
Ruben Nasser

I've reloading S&B brass in 45 ACP, 9mm P, and 38 Spl for more than five years, with at least 10 reloads in the high pressure 9mm, and I never had any problems. I reload on a Dillon 550 B, and I never had problems seating all brands of primers.
Old June 23, 2000, 11:13 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, I reload quite a bit of it in .45 and 9mm.

It works very well for me.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old July 5, 2000, 10:17 PM   #8
Clark

I was working up a load with S&B brass and at one point I used 1955 Polish berdan brass instead. The case head separted and the gun was destoyed. No one was hurt, but easily could have been.

The load that was developed at a powder company was very hot and required Starline brass. I wrote them and told them what happened. I would guess you won't see that load in their next load book.

Yes, S&B brass is good. Sometimes too good.

Old July 6, 2000, 06:02 AM   #9
Bud Helms

Ok Clark, I'm confused ...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>... I was working up a load with S&B brass and at one point I used 1955 Polish berdan brass instead. The case head separted and the gun was destoyed. ...[/quote]So, which was it that blew up? The S&B or the Polish?

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old July 6, 2000, 08:35 PM   #10
Clark

I used S&B brass all the way up to the max load. I increased .1 gr and inadvertantly used a Polish 55 brass, and no more gun.

There were no pressure signs on the S&B brass.
Old July 6, 2000, 09:04 PM   #11
Airborne

Seems to me that the primer pockets are OK dimensionally, but rather have a sharp lip at the mouth of the pocket. A quick twist with a chamfering tool did the trick for me. Not unlike dealing with brass with crimped primers. Other than that, it's decent brass.
Regards,
SM
Old July 7, 2000, 07:07 PM   #12
saands

I've been using S&B brass in 7.62x25 and have worked the loads all the way up to the MAX specified by Accurate Powder (specifying Starline brass) ... no problems at all. I did find, however, that the most accurate loads were either 90% or 95% of MAX ... not MAX. I am probably not telling the experienced reloaders anything here, but for those of us that are new to reloading, it helps to hear some of those obvious details every once in a while.
Saands
Old July 16, 2000, 02:56 PM   #13
Clark

I have Accurate's load book with 25k cup loads for the 7.62x25. I also have a letter from Ted Curtis at Accurate with 42,000 cup loads.