The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2000, 11:45 PM   #1
TacTrain

Can anyone provide any factual information on the military 7.62 brass head stamp LC LR 86. It is my understanding this is Lake City Long Range.

I have started to reload this brass and found it to be relatively consistant in weight when trimmed to 2.005. About 85% of the cases trim to this length and all that trim weigh within plus/minus .5 grain.

I'm loading IMR4895 and Varget behind Sierra 168 gr. Match Kings and 155 Palma Match King with Federal 210M primers, usually in Federal Gold Medal Match cases.

If anyone has any information or experience concerning the military loading or civilian reloading of this brass I would appreciate it. THANKS

Best Regards...........George Dean
"Train to Defend, Train to Survive, Train to Win"
Old July 7, 2000, 12:54 PM   #2
Imbroglio

LC LR is loaded with Sierra 175gr BTHPM bullets. It is supposed to push the effective range of .308 match guns to 1000 yards as the bullet will stay supersonic at that range.

You will have to back off the loads when using these and other milsurp brass as it is thicker and the internal case capacity is less resulting in higher pressures using the same loads used in commercial brass. I had some good luck with LC72M brass, 43gr varget, Fed 210M, and Sierra 175gr out of a Remington PSS.

[This message has been edited by Imbroglio (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old July 15, 2000, 10:11 PM   #3
TacTrain

Imbroglio;

Thanks for the reply information.....

What kind of accuracy did you experience with the load using Varget and 210M primers from your 700?

Best Regards.........George Dean