The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2000, 08:28 AM   #1
REDMISTMD

So I'm thinking about getting a 22 hornet or a 17 rem. for my next varmint rifle and because of the shape of the 17 I can pretty much guess my brass life.But, because of the taper on the hornet I have no idea of how long the brass life would be. Does anybody have good luck with brass life with the hornet without turning it to a "K" hornet.
Old July 10, 2000, 10:20 AM   #2
MADISON

I have .22 Hornet brass that I have been using since 1989. The hornet has a reputation for head seperation with continuous "HOT" loads.

It will depend on the frequency of shooting and your loading...
Old July 10, 2000, 01:07 PM   #3
bfoster

I've had excellent brass life in my Hornet. This may, in part, be attributable to my use of a bushing type neck die. At any rate, case growth is about 0.001"per cycle. I wholly agree with MADISON, HOT loads may have an adverse effect on case life.

To my way of thinking, The 17 Remington and the 22 Hornet are perhaps, at least in some sections of the U.S., not best suited for the same type of shooting.

If you would sometimes like to "hunt" varmints, rather than "snipe" at them, the Hornet can be a lot of fun to use. It is, however, IMHO an under "200 yard" rifle, due to its relatively high trajectory, unless you work with it extensively. It is a very nice tool for (safety first) hunting in close to populated areas as the report is minimal.

I'd say that the 17 Remington has been given worse press regarding its range (the usual complaint is wind drift) than it deserves- at least if you live in an area where realtively calm days are fairly frequent. It is quite shootable to 300 yards, and sometimes beyond in good conditions.

Bob
Old July 10, 2000, 07:11 PM   #4
JimWolford

RED

In the 22 Hornet, case life depends more on how you set your dies, and what brand they are, than any other factor.

If you neck size only, and if your dies do not size the neck too small, and if you have a good tightly breeched rifle, case life just does not enter into the picture.

Some of us remember the original reason for the Kilburn modification to the Hornet case.

It was to provide for *headspace* control, the additional velocity that could be gotten was an unexpected bonus.

In the early days of the Hornet cartrige people would re-barrell all sorts of actions to get one of those "new" wildcat guns <s>

Case head seperation was a problem because of the sloppy chambering jobs done by many of the "gunsmiths" and having a shoulder to headspace on solved most of the problems.

The reason for the "K-Hornet" is still valid, and if you have problems with case head seperation, consider a K-H rechambering.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old July 12, 2000, 09:46 PM   #5
Big Bunny

I endorse Bob's remarks completely, but .17Rem cases will probably outlast 22H at near max loads.

The two cartridges are 'chalk and cheese'.....what the hell ...buy both!

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipine...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.