The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 30, 2006, 05:01 PM   #1
burnera

what loads for Ruger GP100?

nice forum.

I bought a ruger GP100 6" for a really damn good price. i paid $260 for the gun with hogue grips, galco holster, and speed loaders!

Anyway, shot it at the range today and it took me awhile to hit a general area consistently. I'm "fairly inexperienced" anyway.
I was shooting 158gr SJSP rounds. After about 50 bullets the kick was starting to get annoying. It was the only ammo available in .375 at the range though.

So anyway. what else can i put through the gun with a lower gr loading?
i'm pretty much looking for a target practice round with less kick so i can get used to aiming the gun better.

(also shot a SIG .40 and loved it, as well as an XD .45 i prefer the sig even though the calibers are different. )
Old July 30, 2006, 05:04 PM   #2
garryc

your going to hear this load and that load, and 38's. Just start reloading and make your own plus save a bunch of money. It's easy and you can shoot a bunch more on the same $.
Old July 30, 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
burnera

i guess i'm wondering whats [commonly] available out there
Old July 30, 2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Ammo Junky

5.0 hp38 rem125gr sp

If you dont load, jus get some win white box 38.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 30, 2006, 08:17 PM   #5
2ndamd

Check your local Wal-mart.
Wal-mart will sell 100 rnd value pack of WWB (winchester white box) .38 special 130 grn FMJ for about $18.88.
They also sell 110 grn JHP .357 magnum 50 round box for $15.68 from WWB.

These .357 mag loads with the 110 grn weight are easy to shoot in a GP100.

CCI/Speer make 158 grn .357 mag load in their blazer line for about $15.00 for 50 rnds.

The .38 specials really are the easiest and cheapest to shoot.
Old July 31, 2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Bill Siegle

I shoot a lot of the 110grn Winchester hollowpoints. They feel like a +P 38spec to my hand. I can shoot as many as I want and no pain. Accuracy is plenty good too
Old July 31, 2006, 07:58 PM   #7
SAWBONES

I prefer standard 158gr .357 Magnum for practice.
Old July 31, 2006, 09:19 PM   #8
gb_in_ga

Since you are fairly new at this, I'd suggest getting some standard strength .38 Spl ammo, or even better some lightly loaded .38 Spl wadcutters. The use of these will allow you to concentrate on the basics of marksmanship without dealing with the increased flash, bang and recoil of the full strength magnum loads. Nothing says that you have to punish yourself, especially at the beginning. Besides that, the moderate & lightly loaded .38 Spl target ammo is going to be REALLY accurate, even in your .357 Mag. The wadcutters have practically no flash and recoil is just a bit more than a .22, where the "normal" strength .38 Spl ammo (I prefer 158 gr LSWC) is somewhat stronger but also pretty mild. Once you get used to the lighter stuff, you can move up the "food chain" to stronger stuff as your skill level increases. Even then, I'd imagine that you'd do as I do along these lines and still keep on shooting the milder stuff for just plain ol' target shooting and plinking, most of the time. Not all the time, of course, but just for your plain ol' paper punchin' and such.

And yes, I agree with the poster who suggests taking up reloading. If you want to put off reloading for a while, you might want to check out ordering some bulk reloaded .38 Spl ammo from the likes of Georgia Arms or MasterCast (I've use both of them in the past, both have been decent suppliers). You'll save a bundle on range ammo this way. FWIW, I still do business with Georgia Arms, I get my reloading supplies from them. I'd not hesitate to order again from MasterCast, but I don't buy reloads anymore since I restarted my reloading.
Old July 31, 2006, 09:24 PM   #9
threefivesevenmag

Shoot some light .38 Special loads until you can hit where you are aiming or adjust your sights.

Dry fire practice the gun. Revolvers are less forgiving when it comes to trigger pull due to their double action pull.

I stagger loads between .38 special and .357 magnum and it keeps my sight alignment on.

Keep practicing.
Old July 31, 2006, 09:37 PM   #10
fairview mick

GP 100 loads

Go to www.nationalbullet.com. Buy some hand loaded .38 special jhp. Good, accurate load. Very reasonablely priced. they load for the Cleveland(OHIO) Police department. Once you get the brass, it's $96.00/thousand rounds.!!!
Old July 31, 2006, 09:43 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Fiocchi sells a 142gr FMJ loading that is quite accurate in my GP100 and can often be found at quite reasonable prices. I don't recall the recoil being an issue with that load, but I'm not a good person to ask.