The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2000, 12:37 PM   #1
Sisco

I just tried a few 185gr SWC's for the first time through my Witness Carry Comp and wasn't pleased. Although they were very accurate, more than the 230gr LRN's I've been using they did't feed reliably. When I started loading them I set the OAL as recommended in Modern Reloading by Lee at 1.190" which put the shoulder of the bullet below the case mouth and they wouldn't feed at all. I changed the depth setting to get 1.240" which put the case mouth just below the bullet shoulder. While it's possible the gun just won't feed SWC's well is there something else I should try?
Old July 3, 2000, 10:15 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

It's possible that the angle at which the cartridge leaves the magazine is not quite right for that particular bullet to feed correctly.

If it seems to ride a bit nose-up, carefully bend the front of the lips in just a bit, using needle-nose pliers. If it's nose-low, bend the lips out just a bit.

You might well wind up with two sets of magazines for the different loads--I dunno.

Now, I've only used the 200-gr. SWCs, and have no trouble. I put a very smooth polish on the feed ramp of my 1911. I'll occasionally run into a mag which doesn't seem to want to feed; I just mess with it until it does like I want...

FWIW, Art
Old July 4, 2000, 07:43 AM   #3
sjones

try polishing your feed ramp,also set yor oal at 1.250 so that the case mouth is about 1/16 below lip of bullet. sj
Old July 4, 2000, 12:13 PM   #4
Sisco

I polished the ramp this morning, this afternoon I'll load some more with varying lengths and see what happens.
Old July 4, 2000, 09:36 PM   #5
Casey

SK,
I just recently started loading 200 GR SWC, and found that I needed to polish the feed ramp and also set the OAL to 1.265 for my Kimber Gold Match. I think that it depends on your magazines and pistol.

Seems like it is part of the fun of loading your own to make something work that wouldn't work otherwise.

Casey
Old July 4, 2000, 10:56 PM   #6
alan

SK:

If you try 200 grain swc (H & G 68, or similar), assuming you have a polished feed ramp, you might try the following. oal 1.260". Case od, at mough, taper crimped .470", or slightly less.

At one time, an acquaintance of mine had a full size Witness. As I recall, this pistol had a "large capacity magazine", and was flat on it's forward side. While the pistol fed 230 graoin round nose, and H & G 68 mold bullets, it would NOT reliable feed 200 grain swc's that were "similar to H & G 68", loads that worked fine in several pistols, but not the Witness. Never found out why, but it wasn't my pistol. In 45 caliber semi-automatic, I stick with the 200 grain swc bullet.
Old July 5, 2000, 04:42 PM   #7
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

Don't know where I read that the H&G #68 was designed so that proper SWC bullets could be fired in unaltered, only polished, old-style 1911 barrels. The theory is that the edge of the flat meplat and the sarp shoulder exactly duplicates the contact points of 230 hardball bullets.

With that in mind, I set my seating stem to exactly length of factory ball ammo, and both 230 gr. jacketed and 225--230 gr cast roundnose bullet loads feed perfectly. When I want a lighter load, I leave the dies and powder measure set just the way they are for ball-equivalent loads.

Back when I loaded 6.5 of Unique, it was an excellent small game load, and load wih which to beark n shooters new to the .45 ACP. Don't have my chronograph records handy, but I think the 200 ran about 800 fps while the 230 went about 835, both from a 5" bbl. The 30 gr lighter bullet, going about 35 fps slower toned down the recoil and still functioned the gun. And, best of all, I didn't have to mess with seaing depth.

Some notes:
1. These remarks ONLY apply to the #68 design bullet. I have used some 200 gr bulets that did not duplicate that pofile and they didn't work smoothly.

2. I changed over to 5.4 gr of W-231 as standard .45ACP powder charge and I haven't tested the #68 with this load. No reason to assume it WON'T work, but I will not trust it until I test it.

3. I haven't shot these loads in any but the Colt-Browning design pistols: 1911 and and 1911A1, commercial Government models, Commanders heavy and lightweight, LW (only) Officers ACP, National Match AND Gold Cup Colts, one Kimber and two Para Ordnance High Caps. Oh, yeah, several .45 ACP revolvers, but they don't count in this discussion.

Ty it: Set seaing stem with a factoy loaded hardball round and then use that to seat some H%G 68 bullets. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

Best regards,
RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old July 6, 2000, 12:01 PM   #8
Sisco

Just got back from the range, I polished the ramp, used a little tighter crimp and set oal at 1.250". Only had a couple hang up, I might try a little more length next time. Thanks to all who posted!