The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2006, 02:05 AM   #1
SilverState

What Military and/or Law Enforcement Units are using Railed Pistos w/ Tac Lights?

Please name the unit and post some pics (if possible) of the unit members with the railed weapons.
Old July 26, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Doggieman

seems like ALL of them!

(at least in the movies)
Old July 26, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Seems like all the locals around here are carying Glocks with tac-lights on their duty belts. My old haunt just got approval to carry lights on their Glocks too. It seems to really be catching on. Some of the bigger departments that still have a lot of 'old guard' brass are hesitant to issue a general order accepting the use of tac lights because they are concerned that an officer might forget his flashlight and use the mounted light instead " license and registration please" while staring down the barrel of a glock with light mounted is just not too P.C.
Old July 26, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
swk314

yes, I believe the Massachusetts State Police are issueing out the Sig 226 .40 cal with the rails. If you want pictures of it go to their website and look at the training pics for week 15 i believe it is. All the recruits are in a line and all the pistols have tac rails on them.
Old July 26, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5
SilverState

Thanks guys. Some guy was trying to tell me that tac lights are problematic and not beneficial. I disagreed. I wanted to be able to give some specific examples of units/agencies using tac lights with success.
Old July 26, 2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Chaingunner

Most military spec-war types..

Not us bluejackets though

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old July 27, 2006, 12:44 AM   #7
AFshooter

La Vista Police in Nebraska.
I saw officer in a gun store fitting a Hogue band to his G23 with a Surefire.

Nebraska Concealed Carry
Old July 27, 2006, 12:49 AM   #8
p99guy

The New Coast Guard issue pistol is the SIG P229R DAK .40S&W...its also used by many agencies under Homeland Security....So a heck of a lot of SIGs with rails in federal use. The U.S.M.C. is responsible for the Beretta M9A1(which has a tac light rail) The New Contract Navy SEAL SIG P226R (rail)9mm is another example. Rhode Island State police use P229R's too, So Does the Arizona State Police.
Old July 28, 2006, 03:06 PM   #9
9mm1033

Apparently some departments are going to the tac-light attached to the service weapon for everyday carry. The holsters I've seen officers wearing are larger and square looking. Has to be great working nights.
Old July 28, 2006, 03:19 PM   #10
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Most military spec-war types..
The SOF community is switching over to rail equipped weapons quicker than the military in general, but there are still a lot of special operations types with standard M9s in their holsters. That should be addressed in large part whenever USASOC and Crane select the new .45.
Old July 28, 2006, 11:34 PM   #11
indybrad

you mean Crane naval in Indiana?
Old July 28, 2006, 11:41 PM   #12
OJ

Weapon and accessories choices based on what police departments use seems like a shaky thing to me since most of those decisions are political and not made by gun experts. Remember when NYPD went to Glock 17-19 (bad enough in itself), the pols making that decision also made the decision they needed to be "politically correct" and limited the magazine capacity of the NYPD 9mm weapons to only 10 rounds? They not only chose what many of us consider a marginally light caliber but further limited the number of rounds carried in the mag. I don't think anyone outside that organization was rushing to consider doing the same just because a police department took those steps.

My problem with rail mounted flashlights is it automatically violates Rule #2 - never point your weapon at anything you aren't willing to destroy. Until you have identified your object, you don''t know this to be necessarily true.

It also identifies your position whereas, using a separate flashlight in the left hand with the arm outstretched leads the attention of the BG away from the holder of the separate light and gun.

Just IMHO. YMMV.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; July 29, 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old July 29, 2006, 10:32 AM   #13
Chaingunner

Quote:
Yep... Naval Weapons Station Crane, Indiana.

Must be a cushy job :P

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old July 29, 2006, 05:15 PM   #14
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Yep. They're handling testing and evaluation on weapons under consideration for the new USASOC pistol, as they usually handle such things for SOCOM in general. Or at least they were the go-to guys on the pistol issue last time my unit had a training team out from Crane getting us up to speed on the Carl Gustav. They may have lost that role when the contract went Big Army, but once the conventional side dropped out, I'd assume they're back in -- if they were ever out.
Old July 31, 2006, 07:34 PM   #15
indybrad

I move machinery for a living and put a mill in there not to long ago. I was in one of thier buildings where they build the sniper rifles and test different things they're developing. Really neat place. don't know if they worked on any of the pistolas in that building, but the guy was telling me that alot of guys in Iraq and afganastan can call them for parts on any of thier weapons and they can ship them out next day. Just incase anyone knows somebody over there.