The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2000, 11:14 AM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I use an RCBS Rockchucker press for my reloading (yes I am still in the dark ages, and I load only one rnd at a time) but I was thinking for 9mm or 380, the handle is awful long. What a waste of effort and leverage when you are belling 380 case.

Is there anyone making a shorter handle for the RCBS presses that I can swap out for pistol use?

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, H&K P7PSP and 9MM, Dual Perfection!!
Old June 18, 2000, 12:31 PM   #2
WINTERVILLE WILL

Get out your trusty hacksaw and whack that sucker off! I took about 3 inches off mine and it works a lot better and still has enough leverage for tough stuff.
Old June 18, 2000, 01:41 PM   #3
James E

Pete, I too wanted a shorter ram stroke to my press. Now use 1.5 inch extended shell holder, ram stroke is shorter but you loose a lot of leverage by doing this. Most leverage is obtained when handle is in the near full down poition. If you want a good roll crimp this is not the way to go, but all other loading procedures are pretty good. Also mounted a return to upright spring so when you let go of the handle it don't get in your way. This was on a 07 Hornady press.

Jim
Old June 18, 2000, 01:41 PM   #4
CCV

Don't cut off the threaded end!
Old June 18, 2000, 07:44 PM   #5
MADISON

Hell.o I have a 29 ear old RockChucker that I am still using. I have 4 other presses.

REMBER!!! The longer the press handle the more leverate you get. You may be loading pistol today and rifle tomorrow. Leave the handle alone.
Old June 18, 2000, 07:56 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

"Don't cut off the threaded end!" And both ends are threaded!

WILL how did you screw the knob back on?

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited June 18, 2000).]
Old June 18, 2000, 09:51 PM   #7
Bud Helms
Staff

Rethread it.
Old June 19, 2000, 02:30 PM   #8
James E

Anybody ever consider having two different length handles, they don't cost all that much.

I would be interested in knowing who out there has the oldest commercial brand loading press (Bench type) and still occasionally still uses it. There were some great old presses that would have made a decent boat anchor they were so heavy.

Jim
Old June 19, 2000, 02:56 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

sensop - "Rethread it." Always looking for the easy way out, eh?

All seriousness aside, you would have to turn down the cut off end on your new lathe ($2400), find a 5/8-18 die somewhere ($22), reblue the shaft end ($3) for a total of $2425. Or you could leave it alone because you later decided you need a little more leverage - priceless.
Old June 19, 2000, 03:38 PM   #10
WINTERVILLE WILL

I have an old rockchucker that dates from the early 70's...they didn't thread both ends then. The grab end has a bicycle handlebar type grip on it! Ah, modern technology...ain't it grand.
Old June 19, 2000, 06:25 PM   #11
Peter M. Eick

So the general concensus is that there is no commercial short handles.

I agree that the long handle is great for rifle, but for the next 3 odd weeks, I will be doing pistol every night, so I can switch.

I emailed RCBS and figured maybe that might help, but I think the answer of cut it off and rethread is the best way. Now I just have to buy another long handle.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
Old June 19, 2000, 07:29 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Peter, I'm puzzled why you feel the need to have the handle made shorter. I agree that the length is too long when expanding almost all handgun cartridges so I simply grab the handle's rod about 6" from the end. It is much faster as you suggest it would be and the weight of the handle does almost all the work for me. I haven't found that the lack of the ball grip makes any difference. But I guess you could add a ball of some type in the middle of the rod with a little ingenuity.
Old June 20, 2000, 07:12 PM   #13
Peter M. Eick

Have just belled another 250 380auto's, my sore wrist is getting the better of me.

Why do I want the shorter handle, is mainly one of ergonomics. When I reload, I sit on a stool off to the left of the centerline of the press and I place my right hand on the ball of the arm and then swing through about 70 degrees of arc for each rnd. What I was hopeing for is to minimize the amount of wasted motion for each rnd. When I tried the wrist flip method, ie: holding down about 6 inches and then rotating the arm, my wrist would get tired pretty quick. (To much mousing on the computer at work).

The response from RCBS is that they do not offer a shorter handle, so I am going to buy a spare and attempt to shorten it and see what happens. If it works I will let you all know.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

------------------
Old June 20, 2000, 08:00 PM   #14
beemerb

James E;
Have a bonanza that I bought in 1967 and still going strong.Use it for rifle resize only now.Dillon for everthing else(550B)

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old June 20, 2000, 08:31 PM   #15
Ken in Iowa

James E I use an RCBS 2A (early 50's) for my "heavy" work like full length resizing rifle cases. All told I use 16 presses. Each is set up for a specific cartridge. Three are turret presses and the remander are single stage, plus one H-type. Most are Herter's with Lyman, Echo, Wells C-H and others in use. To go along with the presses is three trimmers, four lube sizers, six powder measures, eight scales. then there is just the odds and ends.
Someone once told me that reloading was a gadget prone hobby, guess they were correct.
Still I have more calibers to load for than I have presses, so ..... Ken

------------------
Old June 20, 2000, 09:46 PM   #16
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mal H:
sensop - "Rethread it." Always looking for the easy way out, eh?

All seriousness aside, you would have to turn down the cut off end on your new lathe ($2400), find a 5/8-18 die somewhere ($22), reblue the shaft end ($3) for a total of $2425. Or you could leave it alone because you later decided you need a little more leverage - priceless.
[/quote]

I have a better idea! Cut it in the middle with a cutting torch ($150 for the guages, torch and hoses)and shorten it. Then weld it back together ($500 for a 230/115 Volt AC/DC welder). Then $3 to reblue it. $653 compared to $2425.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 22, 2000, 03:45 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

True Value. 5/8th" threaded rod. New blade for that old hacksaw. Roll of "Duck Tape". While you're there, get a roll of mechanic's wire.

So: For around $20, you've got the short handle for the press, enough threaded rod for one or two more projects, and enough tape and wire to keep your entire world in good repair for at least a year! And a still-sharp hacksaw blade!

$653, indeed! Hmmphh!

, Art
Old June 22, 2000, 07:20 AM   #18
Eric of IN

Get a length of steel out of the scrap bin, put it on the old Okuma. Thread both ends. Done. Total cost. $0.00
Of course, not many people have a $150,000 CNC machine sitting around.
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old June 22, 2000, 08:44 AM   #19
James E

Jeez, guys. Ever heard of dropping by some small machine shop, or plummers shop to get one cut and threaded...$5.00 or $10.00 at the most. Thanks to you guys for the old presses report, keep em working. Hope to find a couple old classics myself, seen an old Pacific "C" press that must have weighed 25 to 30 lbs. Great for swaging bullets or reforming cartridge cases.

Jim
Old June 22, 2000, 01:13 PM   #20
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Eatman:
$653, indeed! Hmmphh![/quote]

Art!Art!Art! The welding machine, the cutting torch, the lathe, why thats the proper way to do it (or at least that is what I am always trying to convince the wife of anyway....baby I REALLY need this etc.)

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old June 22, 2000, 06:59 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Southla1: Oops! Sorry! Sometimes I get so focussed on cheapskatin' and doin' it myself, I forget about that factor sometimes known as "The Never-ending Con" which goes with marriage...

Mea culpa! Grovel, crawl...

, Art

"I always hold my wife's hand in public. If I don't, she shops."