The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2000, 09:26 PM   #1
Big Bunny

Anyone use the "refresh" product for corn-cob media in a tumbler/polisher?

I use my excellent LYMAN Turbo-Twin a lot due to shooting on a grassed(mud?)range and find my green corn-cob media is now discoloured and appears to take longer to polish very discoloured pistol brass(range "droppies" as well).

I would appreciate any experiences and comments on this procedure from FL correspondents, as the treatment advertised appears to be a liquid?

***PS
[I kicked myself this morning, as usually I tip the Lyman media plus polished shells gradually into a 4l ice-cream bucket, with the Lyman supplied perforated lid as a flat sieve, well - something happened this morning and I tipped the whole blanking thing upside-down over the bucket and simply shook it about -together.
Result... sorted brass and media in under half the time!! And no spills...Now why didn't I think of that 2 years ago? Who needs the relatively expensive Lyman auto-sifter addition now !]

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 16, 2000, 07:31 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Recommend plain corn-cob media and Dillon Rapid Polish 290.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 16, 2000, 09:40 AM   #3
Hutch

Ditto the corn-cob. Cheapskate's hint: Go to the Yellow Pages, and look under Abrasives. In my medium sized town, I found 3 sources for ground cob, untreated of course, 50 pounds for 15 bucks. Can't beat the price. It's MUUUUUUUUCH cheaper than using the media rejuvenator. Just pitch the old stuff.
Old June 17, 2000, 02:14 AM   #4
Big Bunny

Thanks fellows....best wishes for your shooting in US.

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)
Old June 18, 2000, 11:47 PM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

I've tried the Dillon additive and just didn't like it.

Assuming that I have the time, what works best for me is to polish and then wash the brass. I use one of the BIG Dillon tumblers and let the brass stay in there for a day or two. About all the polishing media I've tried, except that red Lyman stuff, seems to work equally well. The Lyman red powder gets absolutely everywhere. It's a mess! After tumbling, I deprime the cases and then use an RCBS tumbler (they are the only ones making one that you can use with a liquid media) to wash the brass for an hour or so in hot soapy water. After that I leave the stuff to dry out for a while.

This takes a while BUT it does leave you with brass that is virtually like new.
Old June 19, 2000, 05:30 PM   #6
Big Bunny

Thanks Kenneth, most informative. Lyman actually now do do a "wet" bowl on their 'Turbo Twin' and I will try your suggestion on mine.
I tried some gem tin oxide final polish powdwer(1 tsp)last night with good results in corncob, but it did dust the cases... so your washing suggestion is noted.

Good luck, thanks for sharing your knowledge and safe shooting.
BB.

------------------