The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2000, 11:23 PM   #1
munir

I got a Dillon catalog yesterday, and I have a few questions.

What is a "caliber conversion"- it looks to be different from a set of dies.

If I was reloading 357 SIG, would I used a .40 shell plate?

The 357 SIG dies are the same price as the rifle dies with the full length carbide resizing die. Does than imply that the 357 SIG die sets include a full length carbide resizing die? The only pistol dies that are that expensive are the 357 SIG, the 400 Cor-Bon, and the "9x25 Dillon". The 375 SIG and the 400 Cor-Bon are bottlenecked, I've never heard of the "9x25" Dillon before.

Can anyone else figure out what the price of the AT 500 "Package Deal" is? I assume that the $193.95 is for the press alone. Will it also require a "Caliber Conversion"?

Thanks,

Munir

I know this belongs over in reloading, but I don't know how to move it once I posted it here by mistake.

[This message has been edited by munir (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old June 12, 2000, 07:07 AM   #2
AndABeer

I can answer a couple of your questions but not all:

A caliber converstion includes a shell plate, three "buttons" and the powder die.

Yes you would use the .40 shell plate and buttons for .357, but you would need a different powder die.

The 9X25 Dillon is a bottlenecked cartridge based on the 10mm case, similar to the .357 SIG concept which is based on the .40.

As the AT 500 does not come with an automatic powder measure, the "package deal" supplies you with a scale and some of the other extras you need to run the press. You will need to buy caliber conversions seperately.

I suppose the short answer to all you questions would have been to tell you to call Dillon. They are extremely friendly to the point of ridiculousness. Call them, they'll help you anyway they can, really good people.
800-223-4570
Old June 12, 2000, 07:25 AM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Continue in the Reloading forum...
Old June 14, 2000, 05:26 PM   #4
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

Munir--
While not EXACTLY on point to your questions, you might want to check current string on answers to faiello5's post,
"Ready to Go - A few Detailed Questions,"
also in the Handloading and Reloading Forum. There's a lot of Dillon stuff therein, including my own long-winded replies.

Best regards--

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Rocky Road (edited June 14, 2000).]
Old June 14, 2000, 07:24 PM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

Munir,

The Caliber Conversion Kits don't include dies. "Available in all calibers" refers to the shellplate & locator button combination that are peculiar to a case head and the powder funnel that is peculiar to the case mouth. Dies are a separate item.

Shellplate & locator buttons for a .40 will be the same ones as for the .357 SIG, but powder funnel will be different. So, you could buy the caliber conversion kit for the .40 and then buy the powder funnel (powder die) only for the .357 SIG (or vice versa) and you'd have caliber conversions for both ... excepting the dies themselves.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 14, 2000).]
Old June 14, 2000, 07:42 PM   #6
WalterGAII

The 500 uses a universal shellplate that accomodates lots of different calibers.
Old June 15, 2000, 01:53 AM   #7
Nyterunner

I upgraded my AT to 550B a while ago, but still use the universal shell plate most of the time (I enjoy going a little slower). With the AT, all you need are components, dies, and a scale. Get one of the little Pact digitals to start....You won't be sorry!!!

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.
Old June 15, 2000, 08:03 PM   #8
munir

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nyterunner:
I upgraded my AT to 550B a while ago, but still use the universal shell plate most of the time (I enjoy going a little slower). With the AT, all you need are components, dies, and a scale. Get one of the little Pact digitals to start....You won't be sorry!!!

[/quote]

So, did you start with the AT 500 package, or just the scale? If I bought the package and a set of dies, would that be enough to start?

Thanks,

Munir